Help - Thetford cassette stuck (29 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 6, 2021
Horsham, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
There's always something every trip🙄.,

And this trip it's the toilet.

So, I have a Carthago C Tourer with SOG system.

Firstly I noticed the blade wasn't closing, just the mechanism underneath it. No big deal I thought, just keep toilet lid shut and buy new cartridge when we get back.

Anyway , when cleaning out the cassette I decided to have a mess and managed to get the blade back in place and working when I operated the catch.

Put the cassette back and noticed the SOG system motor came straight on. Won't go off whatever I do with the catch inside the bathroom and the cassette won't come out as I assume the mechanism that locks it into place is permanently engaged.

I accept the the cassette is totally buggered, but anyone got any ideas how I cam remove it?

What started as a simple cassette swop now looks like a garage job🙄

We also had to turn The Motorhome pump off to stop the SOG system running.

Fortunately we are near the site's toilets.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
The SOG fan is operated via switch that closes the circuit when the hatch is opened. Your two issues are linked, in-so-much as the blade is not completely closed, so the fan is running.

Take the cassette to the Elsan point, give it a good clean and get stuck in to fixing it. It will be something simple and once you’ve got the inspection hatch unscrewed on the cassette you can get arm deep and sort it all out! ✔️🤪

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I don't know your particular model of sog etc or toilet, but most cassettes have replacement parts available, so you might be better off just repairing your current cassette, even if just for a spare?

I assume as it seems to be stuck and as the fan is on permanently that the two issues are linked

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The SOG fan is operated via switch that closes the circuit when the hatch is opened. Your two issues are linked, in-so-much as the blade is not completely closed, so the fan is running.

Take the cassette to the Elsan point, give it a good clean and get stuck in to fixing it. It will be something simple and once you’ve got the inspection hatch unscrewed on the cassette you can get arm deep and sort it all out! ✔️🤪
Bit difficult as he said
the cassette won't come out

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You somehow need to get the blade fully engaged by using the lever inside, failing that make a hole in the blade itself so you can put something in it to make a 'handle' to be able to pull it fully closed, once you do that the cassette should be able to be removed.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Can you tell us what model cassette you have, it may help. When you open the door can you see where the blade turning lever on the cassette engages with the slot that is turned by the lever by the bowl this needs to be pointing inline with the cassette you should be able to get some french pliers in there to give extra leverage to turn it, once turned you should be able to remove the cassette and work on it.

OP
OP
G
Nov 6, 2021
Horsham, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Thanks for the replies.

I did get inside the cassette via the access hatch (thanks ytube) but I have made it worse and the cassette is stuck as I said.

The round blade is attached to a mechanism underneath that is working fine. It's just the round blade is stuck open and I can't move it. I can grab the edge with my fingers but it won't move and I don't want to be too aggressive as it's only plastic. I like the idea of putting a hole in it and trying to drag it across. Will have to wait till I get home as I have nothing here to do that.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Thanks for the replies.

I did get inside the cassette via the access hatch (thanks ytube) but I have made it worse and the cassette is stuck as I said.

The round blade is attached to a mechanism underneath that is working fine. It's just the round blade is stuck open and I can't move it. I can grab the edge with my fingers but it won't move and I don't want to be too aggressive as it's only plastic. I like the idea of putting a hole in it and trying to drag it across. Will have to wait till I get home as I have nothing here to do that.
Can you take a picture for us?

OP
OP
G
Nov 6, 2021
Horsham, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Can you tell us what model cassette you have, it may help. When you open the door can you see where the blade turning lever on the cassette engages with the slot that is turned by the lever by the bowl this needs to be pointing inline with the cassette you should be able to get some french pliers in there to give extra leverage to turn it, once turned you should be able to remove the cassette and work on it.
Its the standard c250/260 I think, but I can't get at the blade turning leave as there is no room in the hatch

17270227700455966182408970970497.jpg

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
The picture below shows the blade half across and the mechanism underneath fully engaged

The cassette was thoroughly cleaned before I started messing.

View attachment 953770
The blade itself just sits in the groove of the actuating arm that you can just see, it has jumped out of the groove and is likely stuck against the top of the cassette, you might try pushing gently down on the arm and trying to slide the blade back into the groove. I had my C200 apart to fit a new blade arm seal so had a similar issue trying to get the blade arm connected back up.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Put your arm through the hole you should then be able to swivel the mechanism.

The usual problem is the pillars that the screws go into that hold everything in place brake off. You can glue them back on with Epoxy.

A new mechanism is about ÂŁ40, repair the old one and keep as a spare.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
That's why I said put your hand down the hole, down it myself when I had the same problem.
I forget not everyone has hands as big as mine, they only just fit with the securing ring removed I'd never get then in from that end :giggle:

OP
OP
G
Nov 6, 2021
Horsham, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
The usual problem is the pillars that the screws go into that hold everything in place brake off. You can glue them back on with Epoxy.
Spot on. I had already retrieved an arc shaped piece of plastic with 3 snapped pillars.

Unfortunately my hand is far too big to get onto the whole. The wife tried but only managed to pull if a white plastic thing. I'll try and get he back on it tomorrow.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back