Help - Swift edge 486 Auto - Weight issues? (1 Viewer)

tomh

Free Member
Jun 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Edge 486
Hi, I’m looking at buying this 71 plate motorhome. It says 3600 I think because it’s auto and was upgraded. I only have a standard Cat B license…surely I will still be under the 3.5 T, will this be okay? Do I have to get it de rated? I’m really unsure. help please anyone. Thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes you would have to get it derated as with a B license you can only drive a vehicle up to a plated weight of 3500.

It may have been uprated to 3600 because it had a poor payload, really need to get it on a weigh bridge before buying & make sure you know the axle weights.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I have just had a quick look at a 686 and the thing that immediately jumped out at me is 6 berth!
Do you intend to use it as a 6 berth? because in MHO there isn't a 6 berth made at 3.500kg that is fit for purpose.
You really do need to get the vehicle on a weigh bridge before making any decision. I very much doubt that the Swift will come in at much under 3.000 kg so add the weight of the family members up and see how much of the payload is left.
You then have to add in clothing, food, fuel, laptops gas bottles, etc etc.
If you do have a large family I would go to the expense of taking a C1 test. The choices of suitable motorhomes will open up considerably and above all you will be able to find a motorhome that you can safely drive without overloading. (y)

OP
OP
T

tomh

Free Member
Jun 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Edge 486
Thanks both, makes sense really. I suppose hopes were it was just a bit of bureaucracy

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Thanks both, makes sense really. I suppose hopes were it was just a bit of bureaucracy
It is bureaucracy, the swift could be very easily down rated but if you were a family of six you may as well save your hard earned and buy an suv because day trips would be all you would be able to use the Swift for to stay within the legal and safety requirements.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back