Help please, quick jaunt into Northern Italy then over to France - aires/campsites etc (1 Viewer)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
having never motorhomed in Italy i need some quick info please on motorhome touring there. Are there free Aires as in France (and in Germany in places) or is it all paid for and campsites. we only plan to do the top end of Italy as we have decided to now travel from Germany into France, then back up through the Champagne region. Should we go via Lichtenstein and Switxerland, just because we can !!!?
We have the ACSI books and card we can use.

i dont need a full travel itinary, but any places to stay for night and something to see that we wont forget would be extremely helpful !

TIA

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
The Italian equivalent to Aires are known as Sostas. That may help your search. Only stayed on sites around the Northern lakes, but seemed a few about. Not sure if free or not. The ones we stayed at little South required payment.

Aug 25, 2022
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer car
Exp
25 years
P4n is your friend we have found it as easy.as touring in Spain and France to find cheap or free Aires( Sostas )in Italy currently on a free one in Adria on the po delta with free services and electricity
Chasnam

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
currently on a free one in Adria on the po delta with free services and electricity
Chasnam - care to share?

We're in bloody Austria .......!! Long story but not impressed with my route planning and their pricing structure!!

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
We like lake Isseo. There is a good sossta/aire at Lovere on the northern section of the lake. Also in Isseo town I've seen quite a few motorhome parked up by the two supermarkets Lidl and Consum. Both attractive towns. Venice has a few sosstas in its area and Lucca which is well worth a visit has a garage just outside its walls where the owner has made a great parking area for about 12 vehicles where he offers electric, toilets and a key to lock yourself in and out... Cost about 20e.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
We found a quite a few sostas in Italy - mostly paid but reasonably cheap. Services vary. Just use Park4night, search for sites or type 'sosta camper' into Google maps for the area you are in the they will come up. We also did some 'off grid' 'wild camping' which seemed acceptable.

Aug 25, 2022
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer car
Exp
25 years
currently on a free one in Adria on the po delta with free services and electricity
Chasnam - care to share?

We're in bloody Austria .......!! Long story on but not impressed with my route planning and their pricing structure!!

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Bloody Austria .......
I hate to say it Dave, but I did advise going via Switzerland instead. ;)

Stay safe. (y)

Jock. :)
I know, I should have listened. It's been a glorious drive but full of diversions. It's the bloody price I paid at the campsite that annoyed me most, but hey, live and learn !!

Dougall

Deceased RIP
Oct 14, 2022
Kilmarnock, UK
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
1 year
having never motorhomed in Italy i need some quick info please on motorhome touring there. Are there free Aires as in France (and in Germany in places) or is it all paid for and campsites. we only plan to do the top end of Italy as we have decided to now travel from Germany into France, then back up through the Champagne region. Should we go via Lichtenstein and Switxerland, just because we can !!!?
We have the ACSI books and card we can use.

i dont need a full travel itinary, but any places to stay for night and something to see that we wont forget would be extremely helpful !

TIA
we are just back from lake garda would def recommend going into switzerland we stayed in camp molygnon so beautiful great site have a great time

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
Our experience touring Italy was not good, many years ago but we were so glad to drive from Regio de Calabria overnight to Marcellian Plage in France where we could at last relax. In Italy we were acosted and scammed so many times we dare not leave the camper unattended. For Pompai it was one parent with child 1.then swap to the other parent and child 2.
We were out of there!!
Dunno what its like today. Our visit was around 1977.

Aug 25, 2022
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer car
Exp
25 years
Our experience touring Italy was not good, many years ago but we were so glad to drive from Regio de Calabria overnight to Marcellian Plage in France where we could at last relax. In Italy we were acosted and scammed so many times we dare not leave the camper unattended. For Pompai it was one parent with child 1.then swap to the other parent and child 2.
We were out of there!!
Dunno what its like today. Our visit was around 1977.
We have had nothing but help and friendliness both from Italians and other nation campers.
Twice had electric hook up problems (faulty towers) and been helped out by splitting supply 1 French 1 Dutch.
We were in Ferrara parked in a recognised camperstop and the police came and said that there was going to be a street market in the area and if we needed to leave we might get blocked in. I decided to move and wait for Naomi who was doing a museum visit .
They were very helpful.
Chasnam.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Now parked up on a Sosta (almost) overlooking Lake Garda ...

Now a lot more chilled
Now I don't know what you want or where you are but in 2016 we stayed here, excellent stop in the centre of town, and no kidding when we were there they were having a village fete ,chairs and tables down the main street and we had a devil of a job to get away ,they kept grabbing us and wanting us to sit at the tables but we were in a bit of a hurry so left.
Screenshot_20230924-153809.png

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Now parked up on a Sosta (almost) overlooking Lake Garda ...

Now a lot more chilled
Which one, I need a trip to Garda at some point in the future and have been warned everywhere will be rammed! Is it busy down there?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Now I don't know what you want or where you are but in 2016 we stayed here, excellent stop in the centre of town, and no kidding when we were there they were having a village fete ,chairs and tables down the main street and we had a devil of a job to get away ,they kept grabbing us and wanting us to sit at the tables but we were in a bit of a hurry so left.
View attachment 813750
Not sure which way you are going to France but this place is on one of the routes to there and we really liked it, free but no service.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Which one, I need a trip to Garda at some point in the future and have been warned everywhere will be rammed! Is it busy down there?
It's pretty clear, no problem getting on this Sosta. In fact there's a few arriving still now. I wonder if they arrive late so they can spend a full day here before moving on, unlike Germany when they all seem to move in early morning?

IMG_20230924_171708.jpg
IMG_20230924_172002.jpg

May 12, 2022
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Carado
Exp
since 2010
To humbly offer a few suggestions to your request for places you'd not want to miss, I'd recommend Camping Orta. https://www.eurocampings.co.uk/italy/piedmont/novara/orta-san-giulio/camping-orta-104664/

We stayed there very for a few nights last October, used ACSI, and were parked right on the shore of the lake, which we swam in, and thoroughly enjoyed exploring the old town of Orta San Guilio which was one of the loveliest places we visited in our month long trip around Italy. Lake Orta is quieter than some of the other lakes, and very easy to get to via the Simplon Pass from Switzerland.

Another great ACSI site in the northern lakes is https://www.weekend.it/en/Weekend-Glamping-Resort/ overlooking the endearing lakeside town of Salo on Lake Garda. We had views of the lake from our pitch. Again, not far from the same Alpine pass, and very beautiful. Highly recommended, great facilities, and very reasonably priced. Not busy at this time of year.

Hope this helps :)

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
To humbly offer a few suggestions to your request for places you'd not want to miss, I'd recommend Camping Orta. https://www.eurocampings.co.uk/italy/piedmont/novara/orta-san-giulio/camping-orta-104664/

We stayed there very for a few nights last October, used ACSI, and were parked right on the shore of the lake, which we swam in, and thoroughly enjoyed exploring the old town of Orta San Guilio which was one of the loveliest places we visited in our month long trip around Italy. Lake Orta is quieter than some of the other lakes, and very easy to get to via the Simplon Pass from Switzerland.

Another great ACSI site in the northern lakes is https://www.weekend.it/en/Weekend-Glamping-Resort/ overlooking the endearing lakeside town of Salo on Lake Garda. We had views of the lake from our pitch. Again, not far from the same Alpine pass, and very beautiful. Highly recommended, great facilities, and very reasonably priced. Not busy at this time of year.

Hope this helps :)
Thanks, will need to look how far they are from Garda as we want to come back via France. Both great options though, thanks.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
We have moved to Camping Baiaverde, just a bit further along the lake. Looks like a nice camp site after having a walk around. Picked a nice shady plot but still got Dishy to play, even though internet is free on the site. For a few extra Euros than the Sosta I think it's pretty good value to be honest. One bonus was that there was an Aldi and a Lidl along the route, so we stocked up!

16956396678211302218607195889879.jpg
16956396921032210351341407476837.jpg

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Bloody Austria .......

I know, I should have listened. It's been a glorious drive but full of diversions. It's the bloody price I paid at the campsite that annoyed me most, but hey, live and learn !!
We love Austria!

Not sure where you camped, but we did not find Austria any more expensive than Germany or Italy or Croatia this summer.

One of the better more laid back sides we stayed on was in the suburbs of Salzburg
and the one with the best views on the entire trip, was at Wolfgang am see (which was not a cheap site, but had everything)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
One of the better more laid back sides we stayed on was in the suburbs of Salzburg
Stayed here lovely relaxed park where you want site with a lovely lady who owns it and is very helpful.
Gave us free bus tickets and they have a good restaurant and bar on site.

There is a stop over in Salzburg but it looks like a busy crowded car park, would rather pay the few extra € and stay at the campsite😁

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Don’t forget camping Arneitz, Faakersee and alpencamp kotschach Mauthen

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
We paid €43 for one night which I thought was scandalous but we were tired and needed somewhere to stay as tempers were getting frayed. All our own fault for not planning but Lake Garda has made up for all the hassles.
There's no point anyone adding should have gone there or done this, we do tend to learn from our own bad experiences and mistakes, but ours was really down to bad planning not Austria or the place we stayed in Innsbruck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back