Help Please in finding/recomendations for motorhome sites in Northern Ireland and maybe a dip south (1 Viewer)

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Thinking about a trip to Ireland, obviously NI is less of an issue travel/passport wise. But a quick google suggests there isn't a weath of campsites, could be me as having a few pc issues of late.
Also given a fairly relaxed border it's easy to stray into what is now a part of the EU. Any significant issues? & is it possible to pick up an EU pet passport without major incursion.
Thank you for any help.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
You can enter Eire as often as you like, disregard the fact it is part of the EU for Brits it is still unrestricted access, as is the U.K. for them.

Can’t help re camping other than to say my friends stayed on a number of canal side marinas with full facilities

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Pet Passports no problem with Irish Vets, Anne Scott at Tulnaree House, Carndonagh, Co Donegal is used by many on here, no checks on the Scottish crossings, can't help much with campsites but there are Irish park for night sites on line

Aug 8, 2019
Chichester
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2019
There's a site called TMI(Total Motorhome
Ireland) that lists over 190 campsites .if you're on FB you can register quite easily, otherwise you have to apply to them directly. I think it's about £5 to register.
I joined them last year but haven't used any sites yet.

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
We did this trip 18mths ago and it was brilliant. We travelled via Stranraer, turned north and followed the coast around to Stroke City(Londonderry/Derry). Then turn right onto the Wild Atlantic way around Donegal as far as Mullaghmore. From there, we cut back across country criscrossing the boarder to the Mountains of Mourne. A month in total.

We got a dog passport at Carn Vets in Carndonagh and it was simple. We tried the vet mentioned previously but she had run out of passports! When we landed in NI I phoned a few days in advance to book in which was no problem. The passport was €50 and whilst he didn't need one, I got a booster for another 3yrs, again €50. She told me that she was doing as many as 3 passports a day. There was no fuss and I was in there about 15 minutes.

We wildcamped most of the time and only stayed at a couple of sites. We experienced no issues and met some great people doing the same thing. We used the app mentioned previously but didn't find it that good. There is also an app for The wild Atlantic Way. For our stops I used both Campercontact and P4N.
We used Dundonald Touring Park in Dundonald, it was well-recommended to us. The site was OK, but a bus stop nearby took you into the city centre and it was a nice walk around Stormont grounds with the dog.

Don't worry about the border, no one else does!

Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RandallC

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Looks like the requirements to take a pet to Northern Ireland are the same as any EU country. So is it part of the UK? or not?
Am getting tired of ?????? the gift that keeps on giving.

?????? not wishing to start another blame storm confined to darker places..

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Looks like the requirements to take a pet to Northern Ireland are the same as any EU country. So is it part of the UK? or not?
Am getting tired of ?????? the gift that keeps on giving.

?????? not wishing to start another blame storm confined to darker places..
Some would say it is. However it is also in the single market so complies with EU law in some instances.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
As long as you route to/from the UK via N.I. there is (currently) no checks or restrictions. It's only if you go to/from via Eire that there appears to be checks.
We took the opportunity, though, of getting an EU (Irish) pet passport whilst we were there, has saved us a lot of hassle and, more importantly, cash.

Mar 11, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We did a lot of wild camping but can recommend a couple sites
Dundonald Touring Park (Dundonaldcaravanpark.com) for visiting Belfast. Close to the city with regular buses running from outside the campsite. Also close to Stormont should you wish to visit that.
Carnfunnock Country Park on the Antrim Coast (carnfunnock.co.uk) had lovely grounds

We also took advantage of aires in Bushmills and Portrush that had water/waste/toilets.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Have a Google for motorhome craic and their Ireland specific app.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
Have a Google for motorhome craic and their Ireland specific app.
I am a member of Craic and a friend of the founder Ally Onion who has dedicated his time to the motorhome community of Ireland and has contributed to the tourism of Ireland unfortunately due to personal problems last year and the tragic death of his son William in a climbing accident in the hills in Llanberis in November he has decided to sell the forum (and the app is also defunct.)
Heres a link to the tradedy
and Allys comments on the sale if anyone wants to buy it

This website and everything it entails, Facebook group (29k members), 9000 members on this website is for sale.

40 million!! Visitors!!! To the website alone!
The first Irish dedicated motorhome communities.

No reasonable offer refused, ideal for a business, motorhome dealer, campsite, club or an individual with the energy to promote motorhome tourism throughout Ireland.

Ally will not be returning.
Any offers should be emailed to ally@motorhomecraic.com
If not sold by December 2024 it will be archived for future reference.
Facebook presence deleted.

No admin from TMI (total motorhome Ireland, the stolen FB group) or their associates are welcome to offer. Clauses will be implemented in the sale to avoid any TMI involvement in the future.

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
Sorry to hear that!
It was a great resource and I am sure it is already being missed by it's members.
The site is still running (and active) until the end of the year , unfortunately the app is no more and the new one motorhomeparkingireland had lots of technical issues so never really got off the ground.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back