Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Right, so the question of the day is, should I reconnect the solar regulator now so as to keep the starter battery charged?
I am really confused about what happens to the solar power now. I know there is a battery master and it keeps both batteries topped up. A fit and forget system fitted by Vanbitz and I promptly did just that.
The starter battery would’nt do its stated job and start the engine when we first had the van after being parked up a week or so. (Before we had the solar fitted)
So now that same battery is 9 years older, I am worried for it.
I have tried Ash Vanbitz but he is busy at NEC.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Right, so the question of the day is, should I reconnect the solar regulator now so as to keep the starter battery charged?
I am really confused about what happens to the solar power now. I know there is a battery master and it keeps both batteries topped up. A fit and forget system fitted by Vanbitz and I promptly did just that.
The starter battery would’nt do its stated job and start the engine when we first had the van after being parked up a week or so. (Before we had the solar fitted)
So now that same battery is 9 years older, I am worried for it.
I have tried Ash Vanbitz but he is busy at NEC.
The Battery Master trickle charges the starter battery from the leisure battery so if there is no leisure battery the Battery Master won't work.
If your solar controller only charges the leisure battery then reconnecting the controller will do nothing.
If your solar controller is twin output charging both the leisure and starter battery, such as Votronic controllers do, then yes reconnecting it will charge the starter battery.
If however your controller is twin output you wouldn't need the Battery Master so I assume your controller only charges your leisure battery.

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
The Battery Master trickle charges the starter battery from the leisure battery so if there is no leisure battery the Battery Master won't work.
If your solar controller only charges the leisure battery then reconnecting the controller will do nothing.
If your solar controller is twin output charging both the leisure and starter battery, such as Votronic controllers do, then yes reconnecting it will charge the starter battery.
If however your controller is twin output you wouldn't need the Battery Master so I assume your controller only charges your leisure battery.
Solar controller - looks like one output?, so otherwise is it safe to connect up EHU does that charge cab battery?
IMG_6387.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Will it not charge from the mains .it shouldn't drain that quick.

I think the orginal starter battery is on mine.

Just given that the kiss of death :whistle2:

Ate all the cab lights turning off when the doors are closed ? I'm assuming they run off starter battery

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Will it not charge from the mains .it shouldn't drain that quick.

I think the orginal starter battery is on mine.

Just given that the kiss of death :whistle2:

Ate all the cab lights turning off when the doors are closed ? I'm assuming they run off starter battery
Im not sure if the mains charger tries to charge both? Or of the battery master trickles from the hab battery as in the solar system described by headlight.
I don’t know how long it will be until I get a replacement hab battery fitted so just thinking ahead. I do have a jump starter i bought from middle of lidl but I could just drive it of course. Might be best as I don’t want to go down route of repaired airbag ecu again.
So next question, is it ok to drive and the alternator to put out charge with no hab battery there?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Solar controller - looks like one output?, so otherwise is it safe to connect up EHU does that charge cab battery?
View attachment 966752
Yes that controller doesn't trickle charge the starter battery.
I dont know your onboard system so don't know if plugging in EHU will charge your starter battery.
On my system it doesn't.
Worse ways until you get another leisure battery can you take the van for a drive once a week or connect a mains charger for a few hours a week ?

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Im not sure if the mains charger tries to charge both? Or of the battery master trickles from the hab battery as in the solar system described by headlight.
I don’t know how long it will be until I get a replacement hab battery fitted so just thinking ahead. I do have a jump starter i bought from middle of lidl but I could just drive it of course. Might be best as I don’t want to go down route of repaired airbag ecu again.
So next question, is it ok to drive and the alternator to put out charge with no hab battery there?
I was driving mine with no issues down in Dorset when I was waiting for the hab batteries.

But mine is very basic no blue box like yours

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Well done Annie getting the battery out. Surely you’re not going to risk putting the same one back in, I know you’re assuming yours was just a duff one but what if they’re just not a very good make?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
As long as any wires that were connected to the battery are insulated then driving without a leisure battery in place will be fine.

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Well done Annie getting the battery out. Surely you’re not going to risk putting the same one back in, I know you’re assuming yours was just a duff one but what if they’re just not a very good make?
Well if they send a replacement I will but it will be raised up so going in level. We don’t use that cupboard anyway.

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
As long as any wires that were connected to the battery are insulated then driving without a leisure battery in place will be fine.
Have tied up the positive end in a plastic bag and taped up to side of cupboard. Shifting the battery about has exposed copper wire on the junction that has yellow insulating tape wrapped around (original fitting), so might have to do something about that!
Have put parcel tape around the end removed from PV junction on controller as that’s what came to hand 😀
IMG_0525.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back