Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Silly question, is there any chance the battery is still clamped at the bottom, albeit loosely.
There are no silly questions on here. However, no, the battery just sits snugly, no fixings apart from the wooden batons on top which double up as shelf supports.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
There are no silly questions on here. However, no, the battery just sits snugly, no fixings apart from the wooden batons on top which double up as shelf supports.
What capacity is the battery. I had 4 x 250AH batteries. They were heavy to lift. But I could do it on my own and I am no body builder. Seems a bit odd that you can't even lever them out.

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Jane And Rog yesterday and now you two - hope you have a great time, does Lenny HB know you are there or are you going to sneak quietly away like Jane and Rog 🤣🤣
We didn’t sneak away! Just left in the morning as planned. Can’t help it if Lenny lies in bed all day 😝

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
What capacity is the battery. I had 4 x 250AH batteries. They were heavy to lift. But I could do it on my own and I am no body builder. Seems a bit odd that you can't even lever them out.
It is a 250 ah but very very snugly fitting in the bottom of a cupboard right behind the driver’s seat. You have to be on your knees and leaning forward into the cupboard and a dead lift straight up before being able to bring forward. With the lever John made up, I don’t think it was lifting straight up. My stronger, younger neighbour did get down there and managed about an inch but gave up.
The cupboard has to go!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Would a photo of it in situ help, just incase you’re missing the obvious. It’s happened to me several times, you think you’ve loosened everything to find a sneaky wee screw somewhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Would a photo of it in situ help, just incase you’re missing the obvious. It’s happened to me several times, you think you’ve loosened everything to find a sneaky wee screw somewhere.
It really is in a terrible place. We had two IH630RDs like Annie’s but fortunately changed the vans before the batteries needed replacing. The cupboard does need dismantling from what we’ve heard from a couple of people who did it. Much younger than Annie, or me for that matter! The cupboard is behind the drivers seat. If you remove the base of the cupboard you can see the battery but it is deep down, you can’t really lever it. Not that we would try as we’re useless and too many back and shoulder ops.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
It is a 250 ah but very very snugly fitting in the bottom of a cupboard right behind the driver’s seat. You have to be on your knees and leaning forward into the cupboard and a dead lift straight up before being able to bring forward. With the lever John made up, I don’t think it was lifting straight up. My stronger, younger neighbour did get down there and managed about an inch but gave up.
The cupboard has to go!
Is it worth a call to the makers to check they don't have a clever way to do it?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Is it worth a call to the makers to check they don't have a clever way to do it?

Rather than dismantle the cupboard I'd consider supporting the battery then remove the base of the battery box if practicable/accessible and lowering it on a trolley jack!

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I think this below, (one of many on the Owners group), covers it.
Two slimly built but strong auto electrician lads did get the last one out and drop this one in only a year ago. They were just about able to get side by side and we had dismantled all the shelves and taken the cupboard door off for them. I paid them £40 just to do that and let them have the old for scrap. I was there when they dropped the new one in so know there are no hidden fixings.
This is why I am so cross the new one has failed.

I have covered this before and it is nye on impossible access it or to lift it on your own, unless your a brilliant weight lifter! It can be done and I've seen contraptions made to lift it out but the only real way to do it is to remove the shelf all the silly brown plastic blocks, dismantle the front of the cupboard et c to get anywhere near it to get it out. Trust me i was in the motor trade from an apprentice mainly commercial vehicles for over 40 years and never came across such a ridiculous difficult thing in all that time. I thought furniture vehicles were bad enough and thought I was fairly strong! Dismantling the cupboard is quite involved as they build it first and then drop the battery in but to get at some of the cupboard screws is impossible without having to cut through the screws. All I can say is good luck or maybe go on a body building course or get a mate round who is slim but strong to help!

Here is the photo, and just working out how to remove that bottom panel neatly as it is so visible through the doorway. We think it is rebated into the sides, like the panel above which we have removed. The large dark grey shelf above no removable and that really constricts getting a lift upwards. My neighbour has tried and it is loose, just too heavy, 45 kg I believe.
IMG_6388.jpeg

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Rather than dismantle the cupboard I'd consider supporting the battery then remove the base of the battery box if practicable/accessible and lowering it on a trolley jack!
Might have to cut a hoke in the base of the Ducato to do that!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
Sorry, I meant it as a sort of joke which backfired, the owner of the build company IH vans is Ian Hartley. No offense to you meant.
Absolutely none taken! Can't see how I could anyway! Good luck with solving it. I would definately ring IH, they may even be embarrassed enough to do it for you...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We didn’t sneak away! Just left in the morning as planned. Can’t help it if Lenny lies in bed all day 😝
I was up early as I wanted to meet Flyn, I was out of bed at 9:30.😂

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've seen where the battery is in Annie's van, nothing a breaking bar and a lump hammer wouldn't sort. 🤣

Never seen a battery in such a rediculass position apart from where the original one was in our Carthago, you do wonder what morons design these vans.

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Absolutely none taken! Can't see how I could anyway! Good luck with solving it. I would definately ring IH, they may even be embarrassed enough to do it for you...
It’s a bit of a trek through. To be fair, once Vanbitz had fitted the solar and battery master and said it’s fit and forget, that’s exactly what I did. Didn’t even know where the battery was or what sort it was. No trouble at all for 8 years. Once Lenny HB came to a rally at Quackers and I asked him what we had and we searched and took up the cupboard floor and found it but all he could do was look down on it and tell me not to buy an AGM.
So after 8 good years, it didn’t hold charge one night, and I found out it was an AGM and replaced it with another 12 months ago, sorry Lenny.
Anyway if Leoch will not honour their warranty and replace it (but I have to have it available for collection), I will look at alternatives from our own Off Grid Solutions.
Don’t want to spend a lot as we are not big power users even though we stay off grid at rallies for 5 days or so. However the Leoch was about £300 plus the manual labour changing cost, so don’t want to spend that again on another AGM.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta
Exp
Since 1989
I think of a method and how to hide any damage when complete. This may take overnight!
Anyway us a reciprocating saw blade (multitool) down both sides very gently and slowly. This may leave marks where the blade rubbed. Hiding those marks is the secret. Have a look at odd leg angle in alloy. Move the panel forward hide any marks. There are various options.
When you have finished screw the loose panel through the existing panel. At the other end fasten a neat batten to the wall. Screw through this batten into your now loose panel. This enables you to remove it again in future, oh and don't forget screw cap covers.
Most of all think, commit and act carefully.
No worries eh!

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I think of a method and how to hide any damage when complete. This may take overnight!
Anyway us a reciprocating saw blade (multitool) down both sides very gently and slowly. This may leave marks where the blade rubbed. Hiding those marks is the secret. Have a look at odd leg angle in alloy. Move the panel forward hide any marks. There are various options.
When you have finished screw the loose panel through the existing panel. At the other end fasten a neat batten to the wall. Screw through this batten into your now loose panel. This enables you to remove it again in future, oh and don't forget screw cap covers.
Most of all think, commit and act carefully.
No worries eh!
:LOL::LOL:Himself did use a multitool blade to cut a hole in the wardrobe side to enable access to washroom taps.

However, miscalculation sent the blade right through the tip up sink back, you can just see in the photo.

Thankfully, I did authorise the use of said multi tool as I had already booked speedcoat for the shower tray and they fixed the sink back while they were at it!

Just seen on FB that some enterprising person has used the cut out panel from the wardrobe to make a new fascia for the battery cupboard which he destroyed! Now that was good planning. We just placed ours back in situ and covered the gap made by the multi tool with a thin plywood panel.
IMG_0025.jpeg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I think this below, (one of many on the Owners group), covers it.
Two slimly built but strong auto electrician lads did get the last one out and drop this one in only a year ago. They were just about able to get side by side and we had dismantled all the shelves and taken the cupboard door off for them. I paid them £40 just to do that and let them have the old for scrap. I was there when they dropped the new one in so know there are no hidden fixings.
This is why I am so cross the new one has failed.

I have covered this before and it is nye on impossible access it or to lift it on your own, unless your a brilliant weight lifter! It can be done and I've seen contraptions made to lift it out but the only real way to do it is to remove the shelf all the silly brown plastic blocks, dismantle the front of the cupboard et c to get anywhere near it to get it out. Trust me i was in the motor trade from an apprentice mainly commercial vehicles for over 40 years and never came across such a ridiculous difficult thing in all that time. I thought furniture vehicles were bad enough and thought I was fairly strong! Dismantling the cupboard is quite involved as they build it first and then drop the battery in but to get at some of the cupboard screws is impossible without having to cut through the screws. All I can say is good luck or maybe go on a body building course or get a mate round who is slim but strong to help!

Here is the photo, and just working out how to remove that bottom panel neatly as it is so visible through the doorway. We think it is rebated into the sides, like the panel above which we have removed. The large dark grey shelf above no removable and that really constricts getting a lift upwards. My neighbour has tried and it is loose, just too heavy, 45 kg I believe.
View attachment 966388
Best to put a wide luggage type strap under the battery ( preferably before it's installed) such that you have a chance of lifting it out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back