Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I wonder if anyone has a idea of value of this van, a
IMG20240707143944.jpg
friend/acquaintance has a van conversion he hasn't used for a couple of years he put on FB local he was going to sell it and did any one have any idea of value he got some stupid answers of £2,500 so I messaged him and said I'd have a look and see what I thought which I did yesterday, I told him I'd make some enquiries he doesn't do Motorhome or Van clubs at all so didn't have an idea where to start for a answer of someone who knows what they are talking about.
The Van is on a Ford Transit 2006 diesel , it's done 41,800 miles genuine from new, it's just had a service the cab looks tidy but the inside is a bit amateurish it's got four seat belts a sink a cooker a small tidy fridge and space for carrying water, electrics to it and leisure battery. MOT due in September though he did say he would put 12 months on it. The body is solid but a couple of scratches that would t cut out. It sleeps 2 adults and 2 children.

A couple of photos
IMG20240707143734.jpg
IMG20240707143734.jpg
IMG20240707143739.jpg
IMG20240707143748.jpg
IMG20240707143909.jpg

IMG20240707143909.jpg

IMG20240707143933.jpg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I usually say search marketplace, gumtree and Autotrader to find 'similar' vans as a guide.
No mention of toilet or shower?
Is it registered as a motorhome, van with window or .........?

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I usually say search marketplace, gumtree and Autotrader to find 'similar' vans as a guide.
No mention of toilet or shower?
Is it registered as a motorhome, van with window or .........?
Thank you, it doesn't have a toilet or shower just a porta potty. Not sure if it's registered as a campavan.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
It's only worth as much as someone will pay if he isn't keeping it !!

I'd try renting it out for festivals etc if he doesn't love it

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
I think people would be less willing to part with money for a DIY van, partly because of questions about how well it has been done, whether the gas is safe, plumbing and electrics etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think people would be less willing to part with money for a DIY van, partly because of questions about how well it has been done, whether the gas is safe, plumbing and electrics etc.
Looks to me like the fridge is actually one of those solid state drinks coolers rather than a proper fridge. I do agree that the value will be nowhere near that of a proper motorhome although a conversion on a vw does seem to attract a stupid price for something similar!
I think it could sell well on eBay to someone dreaming of a campervan experience that might not be anything like reality with no shower proper fridge or loo!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I just did a very quick scan of autotrader.
Plain 2006 ford transits get around the £2,000 mark.
There is a couple of conversions at £8,000 but they had full shower, proper kitchens etc etc.

My guess would be £4,000 or there abouts.

BUT, that is my guess. It may get more, it may get less.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Put it on an eBay auction...buyers will value it.Although 2500 is perhaps low,it is an old van,no shower or toilet ,low quality conversion , higher emissions, current weather and a falling over supplied market don't help

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
eBay has over 300 transit campervans listed. A lot as Gromett says have showers and toilets but £2500 looks too cheap. Given the time of year your friend could list it as an auction with a £3000 starting price
Id certainly mot it first

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Think when listing he should start with 4 seatbelts, if they are original and properly fitted, see so many folk on FB pages looking for 4 belts and no rock and roll bed.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Think when listing he should start with 4 seatbelts, if they are original and properly fitted, see so many folk on FB pages looking for 4 belts and no rock and roll bed.
The rear ones look home fitted to me not really clear in the photos but look like a wooden base with cushions on. If that's the case I'd list it as two seats

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
The rear ones look home fitted to me not really clear in the photos but look like a wooden base with cushions on. If that's the case I'd list it as two seats
The seats look very similar to our last 3 coachbuilt motorhomes, with the chassis fittings inside the 'box' why i stressed if properly fitted manufacturers.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A friend sold a 2000 VW crafter conversion in 2020not a very good conversion it had a shower with a porter pottie in the shower, proper fridge but cooker was a camping two burner job.

Both thought it would go for £2k to £2½k, he put it on eBay auction it sold for £5½k.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Sadly, the low mileage may not be helping with the price because, in my mind, it has been standing stationary a lot!

Some Transits are known to have a rust problem and standing still just exacibates this problem because the trapped rain water is not evaporated through wind or movement.
As someone else mentioned, if your friend wants a higher price, get it MOTed or put it on an auction site like eBay as is and the people will answer the price question? 🤔

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The only thing it's got going for it is the low mileage (maybe) so if there's no rot underneath I would value it the same as a good condition empty van.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
If he can't check it himself put into a local garage for a pre MOT inspection see what the outcome is then decide on a new MOT,that way if there's mention of lots of corrosion or expensive repairs he can sell it with the current MOT and no bad stuff on MOT history,even advisories mentioning corrosion will seriously devalue it

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Sadly, the low mileage may not be helping with the price because, in my mind, it has been standing stationary a lot!

Some Transits are known to have a rust problem and standing still just exacibates this problem because the trapped rain water is not evaporated through wind or movement.
As someone else mentioned, if your friend wants a higher price, get it MOTed or put it on an auction site like eBay as is and the people will answer the price question? 🤔
Perhaps I should edit the above post as I was, surprisingly, forgetting COVID!

My comments concerning rust still stand but, possibly the mileage, IF used regularly (which can be verified on the Gov.uk MOT website) before and after COVID, might be acceptable.
It still needs a MOT to give buyers confidence though! 🤔

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
A friend sold a 2000 VW crafter conversion in 2020not a very good conversion it had a shower with a porter pottie in the shower, proper fridge but cooker was a camping two burner job.

Both thought it would go for £2k to £2½k, he put it on eBay auction it sold for £5½k.
That was 2020, when prices for all campervans and motorhomes were spiking. At that time a van the same age as mine, converted by the same professional and VW Motorhome Scheme Accredited convertor, sold for £4 MORE than I had paid for mine from a main dealer six years earlier! The value of vans in general, and particularly older PVCs, even VWs which traditionally hold their value well (and which the OP's subject van is not) have considerably dropped off now. Not only because there are lots of people who post Covid decided they didn't really want vans after all, but because vans with engines older than Euro6 have become more numerous in availability and less desirable since the ULEZ has expanded and other CAZs have gone live.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That was 2020, when prices for all campervans and motorhomes were spiking. At that time a van the same age as mine, converted by the same professional and VW Motorhome Scheme Accredited convertor, sold for £4 MORE than I had paid for mine from a main dealer six years earlier! The value of vans in general, and particularly older PVCs, even VWs which traditionally hold their value well (and which the OP's subject van is not) have considerably dropped off now. Not only because there are lots of people who post Covid decided they didn't really want vans after all, but because vans with engines older than Euro6 have become more numerous in availability and less desirable since the ULEZ has expanded and other CAZs have gone live.
Correction I was going by the age of his current van just remember he sold it when he got the previous van so it was probably 2016/2017.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I always check MOT history for mileage per year and evidence of welding.

As for the low mileage it might have been an ex local authority van - they sit around a lot !

I bought one once - drove like new

If it's rot free, could be worth buying

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I always check MOT history for mileage per year and evidence of welding.

As for the low mileage it might have been an ex local authority van - they sit around a lot !

I bought one once - drove like new

If it's rot free, could be worth buying
If it's someone who wants a day van for trips to the seaside and occasionally nights on a site it could bejust the thing there's a market for everything.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Chassis rust will be a big consideration on a 2006 Transit.
In the uk.
My 2007 spanish van is as new underneath and bodywork.
Put it on an eBay auction...buyers will value it.Although 2500 is perhaps low,it is an old van,no shower or toilet ,low quality conversion , higher emissions, current weather and a falling over supplied market don't help
As is & in Spain you would get around 10-15,000€ for that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back