LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
I would take out the fuses that you have already checked and replace with new, some times they look good but are not, happened to me recently, drove me mad
All fuses checked with multi meter as ok

OP
OP
triclops

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
They have said they are going to a CC so should be able to use 240v to have lights, fridge and possibly some heating or am I missing something?
Now on ehu and switched fridge from gas to 240v, but all lights, heating and water run on 12v

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Now on ehu and switched fridge from gas to 240v, but all lights, heating and water run on 12v
So what are you gaining from the EHU? If it was me I would do without or go buy a heater. If I was closer I would've given you a borrow of a few lamps and heater but you are too far away now.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Ive mentioned a tool thats really handy in these sort of situiations...
If you are into messing around with the electrics in the van it makes life much simpler...
In the case of your step it would have allowed you to apply a voltage direct from the battery to the step closing wire...
With a single point of contact you can check out any part of a circut, and check earths...
A few people make them... all you have to do is provide a readily available connection to your batteries..
Amazon product ASIN B007H6YNY4Much more convenient than a multi meter in a lot os situiations because you can check components like relays , motors etc so easily..
Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
They have said they are going to a CC so should be able to use 240v to have lights, fridge and possibly some heating or am I missing something?
Fridge and heating still need 12v for control panel circuit boards though.
Lights may be OK if any are 230v but 12v still need the control panel whether on hookup or battery.

Edit... Just read fridge on 230v....im surprised it doesn't also need 12v for control panel operation.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ive mentioned a tool thats really handy in these sort of situiations...
If you are into messing around with the electrics in the van it makes life much simpler...
In the case of your step it would have allowed you to apply a voltage direct from the battery to the step closing wire...
With a single point of contact you can check out any part of a circut, and check earths...
A few people make them... all you have to do is provide a readily available connection to your batteries..
Amazon product ASIN B007H6YNY4Much more convenient than a multi meter in a lot os situiations because you can check components like relays , motors etc so easily..
Andy
Unfortunately not available in the Scottish Highlands on a Friday night though. :xrofl:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
You will just have to snuggle up to keep warm.:xThumb:

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
There is power from the leisure battery to the edl, and all the plugs and fuses are ok.
As suggested it seems the edl has a fault

With the 12v switched off in my 2004 B544 the electric step still operates, so, as is thought, it's an Electroblock problem?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
This is probably a stupid suggestion but have you by accident knocked the main rocker switch on the front panel of the EBL from ‘Ein’ to ‘Aus’? If so, all 12v circuits will be disabled. Alternatively, it could be that this switch has failed, or the internal relay that it controls.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Is there 12V power at:
1. the main leisure battery input at the back of the EBL
2. one side of the fuse marked 'solar' (one side is directly connected to the leisure battery)
3. one side of the fuse marked 'Zusatz-Ladegerat' (auxiliary charger)
If not at 2 or 3, the main terminal block connection to the EBL circuit board may be disconnected/corroded.

Is the frost protection valve functioning? Does it turn on when the switch marked 'Batterie Trennschalter' (Battery connection switch) is Ein (On). Does it go off when switched to 'Aus' (Off)

Do you get 12V at pin 5 of block 2 plug (ie not the socket but the wired plug that goes into the socket). If not, check the 2A fuse near the leisure battery (next to the 50 amp fuse). If fuse OK, check the wiring.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I am not an electro magician thingy with magic sticks so, 240 volts fairy lights, torches, candles, tea-lights.
Remoska maybe !! Local funsters who can loan a fan heater !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The light is 12v on the older fridges and they use a LED driven by electronics on the newer ones. :xgrin:

That's why it works without the 12v supply.

What do you class as older Lenny?

I would have said at 2001.... 17 years old... it would be pre LED and need 12v.....or possibly the 230v indicator light is actually a 230v neon.

OP
OP
triclops

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
Thank you to everybody for their suggestions.
All the fuses, leisure battery and block connectors on the elektroblock have been tested using a multi meter and are ok.
We now have an electric heater, and the site wardens have loaned us a table lamp - so we have light and heat running on the ehu.
Nothing that uses 12v is working, so no running water, water boiler, blown air heating, lights or toilet flush.
But we are determined to have a good time over Hogmanay - the fridge is running and filled with beer :drinks:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What do you class as older Lenny?
Just a generalisation, the 8000 series won't function at all without a 12v supply, not sure about the 7000 series made up to around 2009/2010 didn't have an electronic control panel but I think they still needed 12v function. So ones around 15 years old or more will be ok without 12v.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Anything else you need? I live 20 miles away and keep my plane at Scone?

OP
OP
triclops

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
Anything else you need? I live 20 miles away and keep my plane at Scone?
Cheers for your generous offer - we are coping with the situation.
Although cooking tea with a torch between my teeth so I can see what I am doing is a new experience :Eeek:

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Good luck! We’re wimps staying at home with no heating or hot water in the van!

OP
OP
triclops

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
Just to let everybody know that we now have 12v back up and running - but what a faff!
We left numerous messages on the answerphone for Apuljack engineering, but up to date have had no response.
On our way home from Scone on Wednesday 02nd we pulled off the M6 to have our dinner at the truck stop, and saw Adventure Leisure Vehicles the Hymer dealers. So we nipped in to see if their service department could help; one of their service men came out to our van looked at our elektroblock and looked lost. He then went back inside and came out with an elektroblock that they had had in stock for 6 years (covered in dust). Jeff removed our unit and fitted the new elektroblock and all the 12v electrics came on. "Great stuff" said Jeff "how much?" The service man went back inside to phone his manager for a price - £596 + vat + labour!
Needless to say Jeff removed it and handed it back to the service man - Brownhills sell brand new elektroblocks on ebay for £588 including vat and carriage; and Jeff had carried out all the labour.
I contacted A and N Caravans in Wales on Thursday 04th about sending our unit for repair and sent it away Friday. They received it Tuesday am and had repaired it Tuesday pm, I paid Tuesday night by bank transfer and it was sent out Wednesday and I received it on Thursday am. Fast turn around and all for the grand total of £130 + carriage of £18.
I can definitely recommend this company, and their website can be found at http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just to let everybody know that we now have 12v back up and running - but what a faff!
We left numerous messages on the answerphone for Apuljack engineering, but up to date have had no response.
On our way home from Scone on Wednesday 02nd we pulled off the M6 to have our dinner at the truck stop, and saw Adventure Leisure Vehicles the Hymer dealers. So we nipped in to see if their service department could help; one of their service men came out to our van looked at our elektroblock and looked lost. He then went back inside and came out with an elektroblock that they had had in stock for 6 years (covered in dust). Jeff removed our unit and fitted the new elektroblock and all the 12v electrics came on. "Great stuff" said Jeff "how much?" The service man went back inside to phone his manager for a price - £596 + vat + labour!
Needless to say Jeff removed it and handed it back to the service man - Brownhills sell brand new elektroblocks on ebay for £588 including vat and carriage; and Jeff had carried out all the labour.
I contacted A and N Caravans in Wales on Thursday 04th about sending our unit for repair and sent it away Friday. They received it Tuesday am and had repaired it Tuesday pm, I paid Tuesday night by bank transfer and it was sent out Wednesday and I received it on Thursday am. Fast turn around and all for the grand total of £130 + carriage of £18.
I can definitely recommend this company, and their website can be found at http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk.
Thanks for the update.. Always nice to know the end result !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back