Help - Engine won’t start? (1 Viewer)

May 12, 2023
Wallsend, UK
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Atessa
Exp
Since 2011 on and off
Hi Funsters, I have a problem that I can’t get my head round. The engine won’t start on my Fiat Ducato 2009? Plenty of power in the battery plus tried it with jump leads on to another vehicle? Glow plugs seem to be working warning light shows and then goes out but the engine just won’t start or fire up.

any ideas or help before I go down the expensive routes 😩

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi Funsters, I have a problem that I can’t get my head round. The engine won’t start on my Fiat Ducato 2009? Plenty of power in the battery plus tried it with jump leads on to another vehicle? Glow plugs seem to be working warning light shows and then goes out but the engine just won’t start or fire up.

Are you talking about right now in the freezing weather? If so it could be water somewhere in the diesel pipes that has frozen.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Steviemo747
May 12, 2023
Wallsend, UK
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Atessa
Exp
Since 2011 on and off
Are you talking about right now in the freezing weather? If so it could be water somewhere in the diesel pipes that has frozen.
Yes it was this morning when I went to check the motorhome? You may be correct as it doesn’t seem to be getting fuel?

OP
OP
Steviemo747
May 12, 2023
Wallsend, UK
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Atessa
Exp
Since 2011 on and off
I have a 2007 X250 Ducato and it has both.
Immobilizer, 3pin red light flashing right side of dash.
Fuel cut off, passenger footwell.
Thanks for the info, I will take another look to see if I do have them but quite sure I dont

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
As chaser says, maybe ice at the bottom of your fuel filter. Does the filter has a drain off nut under filter canister? Open that till clean diesel drips.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Anything coming out of the exhaust, if its getting fuel and wont start you should start to see white smoke out of the exhaust

Feb 19, 2015
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I had a similar problem with engine cranking over briskly but failing to start in my 2010 Ducato earlier this year. It turned out to be an intermittent problem with the RFID chip in the key which was failing to send a signal to the immobiliser. An easy, and free, check would be to try a spare key if you have one (that worked for me). Other than that you really need to use an OBD scanner (lot’s of info on these if you search the forum) to see if there are any fault codes stored that can point you in the right direction.

OP
OP
Steviemo747
May 12, 2023
Wallsend, UK
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Atessa
Exp
Since 2011 on and off
I had a similar problem with engine cranking over briskly but failing to start in my 2010 Ducato earlier this year. It turned out to be an intermittent problem with the RFID chip in the key which was failing to send a signal to the immobiliser. An easy, and free, check would be to try a spare key if you have one (that worked for me). Other than that you really need to use an OBD scanner (lot’s of info on these if you search the forum) to see if there are any fault codes stored that can point you in the right direction.
Thanks for the info, never thought of that, I will try that later when I go back up to the storage yard

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
Be careful using easy start as it is not a myth engine's can become addicted to it as a means of starting it. What happens is when starting with easy start it is more inflammable in order to start a engine in colder weather, but when starting the engine the loud ignition banging shatters the compression ring's as they are made of cast iron so the more you use it the more it needs to start the engine.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Be careful using easy start as it is not a myth engine's can become addicted to it as a means of starting it. What happens is when starting with easy start it is more inflammable in order to start a engine in colder weather, but when starting the engine the loud ignition banging shatters the compression ring's as they are made of cast iron so the more you use it the more it needs to start the engine.
Instead of easy start try lynx body spray , starts them just as well and also a bit easier on them never mind about a quarter of the price.

OP
OP
Steviemo747
May 12, 2023
Wallsend, UK
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Atessa
Exp
Since 2011 on and off
does it turn over or is there nothing
Hi it turns over just doesn’t fire up? Been there again this morning and it is not the key sensor or immobiliser (yes it has one) it seems to be fuel not getting through?

Nov 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B-ML T780
Just because the glow plug light goes out doesn’t mean that the glow plugs are working, some of them may be burnt out.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Older Ducato - Engine spins and no start = no fuel pump.
My 1999 2.5tdi and i believe the 2.8 have Fiat immobilisers. They crumble with age but clear symbol on dashboard doesn't go out when ignition on.
Poor earth straps are common. You can test this by using a beefy jump lead from battery NEG to engine block - now try start.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Hi it turns over just doesn’t fire up? Been there again this morning and it is not the key sensor or immobiliser (yes it has one) it seems to be fuel not getting through?
Before you start spending perhaps hundreds of pounds, get a professional to look at it, it may save you in the long run.

Nov 16, 2022
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
2008 USA & UK

Get a diagnostic meter plug it in and it should tell you what the fault it

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
As others have mentioned. Shove a bit of easy start down the air intake and try a start. That will point you in the correct direction. It won’t damage anything or cause issues for a a brief few tests.

Apr 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Rapido
Exp
since 2018

Hi,
Not sure if this will help, have you got a fuse box in the engine compartment if so maybe the fuse in number 16 has blown it's a 7.5 fuse if blown the engine will turn over but won't start. I found that out the other week. Good luck i hope you get it sorted.

OP
OP
Steviemo747
May 12, 2023
Wallsend, UK
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Atessa
Exp
Since 2011 on and off
Hi,
Not sure if this will help, have you got a fuse box in the engine compartment if so maybe the fuse in number 16 has blown it's a 7.5 fuse if blown the engine will turn over but won't start. I found that out the other week. Good luck i hope you get it sorted.
Thanks I will take a look

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back