Hello newbie with a truma issue

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Geist
I got a geist phantom rl. In the manual it says there's a plug to pull up to fill the boiler but for the life of me I can't find it.
Also I have a fridge I'd like to run on lpg but dyou need 240v to operate the ignition. Doesn't seem to operate off 12v
Other than that very pleased with it. Only 35k in the clock, barely broken in and 20mpg surprisingly good.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Unless I’m missing something or not understood you, then the Truma boiler will just fill when pump runs and taps are open. There will be a valve to drain it, and that must be shut before filling, to allow it to work.

Also the sytstems in the van should all be able to operate from 12v habitation system. Not requiring EHU.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
There is a Frost Protection Valve that automatically opens whenever the temperature near the water heater gets below about 3 degrees. If the water freezes it can cause expensive damage, so the idea is that all the water drains out if the temperature gets too low. If it's never been used since winter then the valve may still be open, so if you try to fill it, the water just dumps on the ground.

There are at least two types. One requires 12V power to keep it closed, if the 12V goes off it opens automatically, whatever the temperature. Pull up the red plunger until it clicks and stays up. The later type doesn't need 12V power to keep it closed.

The Frost Protection Valve will be located very near the water heater, so it is at about the same temperature. It will be on the floor, with a pipe directly down from the valve, through a hole in the floor, to the outside, so that the water dumps on the ground. That info may enable you to find it. Also you could turn on the hot tap, so that water goes into the water heater. It will pour out of the valve, and you may be able to see underneath where the valve is located.
This is the later type, the earlier type is similar with a round red button .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Also I have a fridge I'd like to run on lpg but dyou need 240v to operate the ignition. Doesn't seem to operate off 12v
There are different types, but I don't think any of them have the ignition operated by 240V. The idea is that the fridge can operate from gas when no 240V is available. Do you know what make/model? They can be manual selection, automatic energy selection (AES), or automatic with manual override.

The ignition is usually a 12V sparker unit, that comes on automatically, or sometimes a manual switch to produce sparks. Older fridges have a pushbutton piezo-electric sparker, push the button for a loud click and a spark, one spark per click.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
Ziggatron , lots of good advice above.

What year is your van? Pics may help others help you as so many types of van that change during the eras.

For the truma, as other say, probably a little black box on water pipes on the floor near the boiler. There might be a red or blue pull up tab that keeps the water in. When it’s not functioning correctly some have used a clothes peg to keep it up until they can get it replaced. You will know if it’s working as water won’t be emptying out the bottom of your van through that frost dump valve. Old vans like mine have a yellow tab dump valve that is only pressure and manually operated.

With the fridge, doesn’t need 240 to light. Depending on age, (fridge not yours) you may need to select the gas symbol and hold in the temperature knob to get gas through. Works much like a gas hob. You will need the 12v system turned on to provide spark but once lit it doesn’t need 12v. If gas gas been off for a while it may take a while to come through to the burner. You may hear a “whoosh” when the gas ignites.

Pictures of your appliances and what’s hidden in cupboards would help. Any chance you can go back to the seller for a better hand over?

Hope you get sorted,
Cush

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Also, the fridge will only work on 12v when you are travelling, unless it’s a compressor fridge?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
I’m not sure I’d call 20 mpg good unless it’s an RV
Pretty standard , my frankia 2008 ,3.0l got 20mpg , my 2006 ,2.8 fiat got 20mpg , 2004 hymer 2.8 fiat 24/5 mpg , currently iveco 2.8. 25mpg

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
I got a geist phantom rl. In the manual it says there's a plug to pull up to fill the boiler but for the life of me I can't find it.
Other than that very pleased with it. Only 35k in the clock, barely broken in and 20mpg surprisingly good.

Without knowing the age of the van its hard to tell what equipment is fitted but going by your quote from the manual of a pull up plug im asssuming its at least newer than 2002 , therfore The plug is a dark red coloured knob on a black box fitted in line on the water pipe near the boiler. Fridge will run on lpg , it will have a 12v supply to the ignitor. Most fridges only run on 12v when engine is running , the more modern ones have Aes which selects automatically. Older fridges will have 3 different coloured switches. Orange for gas ignition you need to hold the knob in and flick switch it will flash till it lights. Red switch is 12v ...I leave mine switched on and it then will automatically come on when I start the engine. And green switch for 240v ... I never use that one .

To test on 12v , start engine and flick red switch on ...it should illuminate

If its a newer van then I think there are very small led lights around the switch .

Year of van and a few photos of fridge and your boiler will of course help

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Pretty standard , my frankia 2008 ,3.0l got 20mpg , my 2006 ,2.8 fiat got 20mpg , 2004 hymer 2.8 fiat 24/5 mpg , currently iveco 2.8. 25mpg
I’m on motorhome 18 including various tag axles and other 4.5 to 5 ton vehicles (2.3, 2.8 & 3 litre) and I’ve never had fuel consumption that low.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
2.3 multijet 130, 30-34 mpg, rarely any lower unless there's a headwind.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
I’m on motorhome 18 including various tag axles and other 4.5 to 5 ton vehicles (2.3, 2.8 & 3 litre) and I’ve never had fuel consumption that low.
Well you're lucky then . I've had 11 , but also seen numerous threads on here with mileage reported and those who are honest got the same mpg I did 🤷‍♂️

I've had numerous cars with 2.5 and 3.o litre diesel engines that didn't get much more mpg .. never mind a heavy brick .

There will always be those who claim to get more but they're only Fooling themselves. I prefer to be honest.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Well you're lucky then . I've had 11 , but also seen numerous threads on here with mileage reported and those who are honest got the same mpg I did 🤷‍♂️

I've had numerous cars with 2.5 and 3.o litre diesel engines that didn't get much more mpg .. never mind a heavy brick .

There will always be those who claim to get more but they're only Fooling themselves. I prefer to be honest.

You can believe whatever you want I don’t have to convince anyone.

OP
OP
Z
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Geist
Loads of fantastic advice Thankyou. I'll post pics in a couple of days. Have an igniter switch on the fridge but no clicks and just filled the water t a bit. Hob and oven working ok
ITS a 2005 geist phantom rl 2.7 merc diesel. 30k on the clock, barely broken in. Pulls like a train, well made up with it. The window props won't hold the windows open nothing that a bit of wood can't fix but I want to replace soon anyway.
Other than that in mint condition for the year.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
You can believe whatever you want I don’t have to convince anyone.
I don't need to convince anyone. Owned the vehicle from new and have now done 92k miles. Lifetime average is over 30 mpg. Worst days run was 25, best was 37 with a tailwind. I don't drive it like a car. Yesterday was 30.5 mpg from Angers to Blois, none toll routing, usually more efficient.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back