hello from Durham and some route advice if pos?? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

DenB

Free Member
Jul 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
coachman
We are old hands with MH in the uk -starting off with an old vw camper many years ago - loved it - then we had a roller team for a few years and we now have a coachman travel master. WE plan to go to Europe (with 2 cats). We are looking at the Verdon Gorge. Our MH is nearly 3m high and 9m long - any driving tips??

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
For the most part you'll have no problem, France has a lot more space than UK.
Your problems could arise getting to and parking in smaller villages with a 9 metre motorhome so you'll need to research the route and plan accordingly.

I've a map somewhere of the Gorge, colour coded for difficulty, I'll see if I can dig it out

Good luck, you'll love it across the water

Edit : here's the map, it doesn't indicate difficulty but it gives you the route names to research and if you use the search function on here, it'll bring up lots of information. That's where I got the map from.

Gourge du Verdon Routes.png

Last edited:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Fairly certain you are Ok on the route des cretes part of the the verdon gorge (the one way bit) but I would be double checking it. There is a dug out tunnel on the South road which would be interesting if you met something of equal size coming in the other direction.
If you have France Passion then the lavender farm is an absolute top notch stopover

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Hi and a warm welcome to the house of Fun 🤩

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
If one of you is over 60 you get 20% off the fare on the Newhaven - Dieppe crossing.
No kennels so the cats will have to remain in the m/h.

DFDS OAP discount.JPG

OP
OP
D

DenB

Free Member
Jul 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
coachman
For the most part you'll have no problem, France has a lot more space than UK.
Your problems could arise getting to and parking in smaller villages with a 9 metre motorhome so you'll need to research the route and plan accordingly.

I've a map somewhere of the Gorge, colour coded for difficulty, I'll see if I can dig it out

Good luck, you'll love it across the water

Edit : here's the map, it doesn't indicate difficulty but it gives you the route names to research and if you use the search function on here, it'll bring up lots of information. That's where I got the map from.

View attachment 928499
Fabulous. Thank you so much! 😀

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I've driven all those routes in Figaro's post. I took the 7m Hymer along the Corniche Sublime, and used the scooters (ie small motorbikes) on the Route des Cretes.

One thing I found useful was to set up, as well as the usual satnav, a phone with a moving map display. It doesn't have to be a satnav. It shows the next kilometre or so of road, and gives a good indication of sharp bends and hairpins. The normal satnav I find zooms out and doesn't show them well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back