Hello from Cheshire (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 17, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer grand canyon S
We bought our first (and only so far) campervan from Hymer in Stafford. A Merc Sprinter-based Grand Canyon S. Generally well pleased with it.

A few issues including a couple ongoing / repeat:

1. Sink tap. My local campervan builder / maintainer (Kevin) is great but non of his taps fitted the sink (at say £30 each) so when it first stopped triggering the pump (the "hot-wiring" proved the problem lay inside the tap) I replaced it September 2023 (£150). July 2023 it goes again. Initially the wonderfully efficient (sic) crew at Hymer Stafford told me it was out of warranty and after a week of them not understanding it wasn't a warranty matter, but purely a Consumer Law matter (being under 12 months) they agreed to ask Hymer (presumably in Germany) whether they should replace. (Germanic procedure rules OK.) A week later they agreed that they would, so an order was placed, and 4 weeks later we're still waiting for it.

2. Rooflight over habitation area. The issue is that the rooflight doesn't lock down and in wind on the motorway, it flips up with the sucking pressure of wind going over it (it must be shaped like the top half of an aerofoil?) and rattles. Their initial diagnosis was that tension bar wasn't applying enough tension so replaced it. Over a year on, it goes again, but this time, having looked at a friend's caravan with the same make of rooflight, it's clear that the plastic clips that should automatically lock the rooflight in place, are not doing so. My local friend Kevin took a look and confirmed that he can replace the whole unit at a cost of about £1k including the unit cost of about £640. My gripe is that if Hymer had diagnosed if correctly it the first place, it would have been a warranty claim.

The shower curtain, 3 years in, was looking a bit grubby at the base so I ordered a couple more. Hymer rang me to check: did I really want 2. They are £250. No, not for 2, for 1! We put the existing one in some bleach or bicarb of soda or something and it's come up like new.

Oh- and don't bother asking them to check what's happened to the magnetic float inside the toilet cassette. They'll want to charge you £100 for looking!

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd be delighted to hear them, but at least there are lessons in there for others amongst you who may be unfortunate enough to deal with Stafford.

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Welcome :welcome3:

You are going through the same loop we went through about 11 years ago. We had a Hymer with a Merc engine, but the response from Hymer to any issues was dreadful- almost arrogant that anyone might find fault with them.

We got rid of it a couple of years later and bought a Laika - now that was a brilliant motorhome.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back