Hello from California (2 Viewers)

May 11, 2024
Funster No
MH
just-looking
Hey all - my wife and I are about to take our first RV trip together, having hired an RV outside of Venice for a September trip on the Dalmatian Coast. I grew up RVing with my family, starting with a pop up camper and then moving into motorhomes. Dad couldn’t settle on one he liked, so I think there were a dozen or so before he gave up on RVing altogether.

Lots of great trips and memories with my parents and sibs, though, which continued on into my life after I’d left home. So on the one hand RVing feels pretty familiar to me - I know the difference between grey water and black water holding tanks. OTOH, I’ve never owned one myself, and my wife hasn’t ever done a trip in one, so it’ll be a new adventure for us.

Really looking forward to our trip and also swotting up on tips and ideas for it on this forum.

Thanks for the add.
-Tom

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
w2f
Sounds like motorhomeing is in the blood.
Don't hesitate to ask if you need information on places to go or things to see on your trip.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
IMG_1364.gif

IMG_1367.gif

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Welcome to the forum, one thing to note is you only get five free posts before you need to subscribe, it's not a lot of money when you consider the support this forum can offer in terms of experience of travelling Europe as well as electro/mechanical issues you may have. I'm sure I speak for all when I say we'd love photos and a blog of your trip. Have a great time (y)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Welcome to the Fun House. in terms of grey and black water, European motorhomes tend to have a black water holding tank that is basically a 'cassette' that you physically remove as opposed to a larger one that you pump out as in lots of bigger RV's in the US.

You will have a great time!!

I can recommend Camping Vaia Verde on Lake Garda if that's on your list of places to visit? Just do a search and you'll find lots of recommendations for travelling through Italy.

Best wishes and enjoy your journeys

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Unlike US RV's there is no "Black holding tank", it will be an 18l (4 US Gallon) cassette, meaning it will need emptying
every few days. Look at Winnebago Ekko or google Thetford cassette toilet for more details.
You'll also find fewer boondocking locations so advanced research advised.
Enjoy the trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Welcome from somebody be who lived in SF for two years. I’ve not been to Italy much but I’m sure someone here can recommend their equivalent of France Passion. ACSI may be worth a look too.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi from Scotland, have done a couple of road trips involving California unfortunately not in an RV though. Our daughter is heading out that way in a few weeks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
Hey all - my wife and I are about to take our first RV trip together, having hired an RV outside of Venice for a September trip on the Dalmatian Coast. I grew up RVing with my family, starting with a pop up camper and then moving into motorhomes. Dad couldn’t settle on one he liked, so I think there were a dozen or so before he gave up on RVing altogether.

Lots of great trips and memories with my parents and sibs, though, which continued on into my life after I’d left home. So on the one hand RVing feels pretty familiar to me - I know the difference between grey water and black water holding tanks. OTOH, I’ve never owned one myself, and my wife hasn’t ever done a trip in one, so it’ll be a new adventure for us.

Really looking forward to our trip and also swotting up on tips and ideas for it on this forum.

Thanks for the add.
-Tom
Welcome, others have already beaten me to it regarding black water waste systems compared with the states.

In 2016 i did a 3 week rv trip over your side of the pond, from San Francisco across to Salt Lake, zion, grand canyon, Vegas, death valley, then back to San Francisco via séquoia and yosemite. Had a wonderfull time, so I hope you have the same over here, unfortunately i am in France and have never driven it italy, so i can't help you much there, although I am sure there are plenty here that can.

PS if the quality of the road surface here in Europe makes you home sick, take a detour to the UK, it will soon feel like home🤣🤣🤣

Have a great time.
Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back