Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
If you think helicopters are noisy and uncomfortable try travelling on in a Chinook when it’s full of infantry. 55 fully kitted up soldiers is a tight fit and really not comfortable! When you get the signal to get off you struggle to stand up (you sit on the floor), struggle to pick up your stupidly heavy Bergen and then run off the back. If you fall the next 50 blokes trample you!

It's sometimes interesting at Wattisham with the Apache attack helicopter!
Many years ago on the BG morecambe bay platform we were told there was going to be an exercise and we just had to stay out of the way and do as we were told. Next morning on the horizon there was a ship, about 8am somebody pointed out something was coming our way, chinook with four apache gunships, as they approached the platform the gunships shot forward and surrounded the helideck all pointing down to the deck, the armoury on show was tremendous, the chinook slowly climbed up to cross the helideck, too big to land it had ropes dangling down, loads of guys in full kit came down the ropes, they had to be quick as it wasn’t stopping just going slow, they stormed down and took over one of the control rooms. At the same time four semi rigid vessels had shot across the water to the other end of the three platforms (all bridge linked) and approx 20 guys in each of them climbed up onto that end of the platform and stormed through the platform taking over the other control room, one of the control room techs didn’t respond quick enough when told to get on the floor, he was put down there roughly with a machine gun pointed at his head. Once it was all over the boats and choppers came back for them, this time the chinook crossed the helideck slowly and they had to grab the ropes and climb up, some were still climbing up as it was half way back to the ship. It was quite a sight to see and these guys were super fit.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Flying offshore to safe lancia and Morecambe flame in the Irish sea (gas) in the 80s as a young trainee for hydrocarbons GB.. was an experience. What I can only describe as sitting on a bench crammed in for half hour with a straight jacket on..

I'd do it all over again though..

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Flying offshore to safe lancia and Morecambe flame in the Irish sea (gas) in the 80s as a young trainee for hydrocarbons GB.. was an experience. What I can only describe as sitting on a bench crammed in for half hour with a straight jacket on..

I'd do it all over again though..
Spent five years in morecambe bay as part of the production crew, lived on the morecambe flame most of that time at DP 6 and doing intervention to DP 3/4 and 8, started there around 89.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
SWMBO bought me one of those experience things one Christmas.
It was a helicopter flight where you got to fly it.

I’m not big on heights but thought what the hell.
After the introduction to the pilot etc we walked out to the “aircraft”
I kid you not it was about as strong as a Reliant Robin with a very simple catch to hold the door closed.

I think it was a Robinson twin blade and shook like a bucking bronco.
It was an “interesting” flight.

Apparently I was very good at hovering possibly as I can turn my hand to digger driving 😊

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Helicopters love wind. Flown in them quite a lot when windy sometimes it’s squeaky bum time though.
Hi.
Been there,done it. St Austell to Scilly island...Helio-co- peter. When coming into land on the islands,tried to support Jennifer against a bumpy landing.......... On getting off/disembarking ? said to chap at the door.. " This old scow must be well past its sell by date,there is " Rough and then this...Rougher." He replied.... " Sorry sir,but this is the newest helicopter on the fleet,its superb " There are times when it is better to disagree..... but not say so.... BUT.... I am still here to tell the tale and have been known to jump out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft whilst in mid flight....... NOT !! a Helio-co.peter !! :ROFLMAO:
Tea Bag

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
You had an engine which would be very hot when running and the floor area consisted of large fuel tanks, in between were the seats and the passengers, not a great arrangement.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I took a helicopter ride over the Great Barrier Reef about 20 years ago.

It was quite a small helicopter and I was upfront with the pilot and my wife was sat behind.

I had headphones and a direct link to the pilot.

I really loved it.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Spent five years in morecambe bay as part of the production crew, lived on the morecambe flame most of that time at DP 6 and doing intervention to DP 3/4 and 8, started there around 89.
I was there in 84 before production and just after it started in about Feb..85 . Worked onshore too at Heysham. I was only a lad...testing and certifying lifting gear for a subby... but Fascinating and very interesting. Lancia was the support and Morecambe flame was one of the drills but can't remember the name of the other..

I didn't know they added the smell there and then.. :unsure:
And how they laid them.pipelines under the sea in cradles with "tarmac" was wow to me

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
SWMBO bought me one of those experience things one Christmas.
It was a helicopter flight where you got to fly it.

I’m not big on heights but thought what the hell.
After the introduction to the pilot etc we walked out to the “aircraft”
I kid you not it was about as strong as a Reliant Robin with a very simple catch to hold the door closed.

I think it was a Robinson twin blade and shook like a bucking bronco.
It was an “interesting” flight.

Apparently I was very good at hovering possibly as I can turn my hand to digger driving 😊

Mind you having said all that SWMBO wanted to go up the glacier at Franz Joseph in NZ.

This was in a more substantial craft, a five seater.
With headphones on etc linked to the pilot.
I sat in the back 😉😊.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I took a helicopter ride over the Great Barrier Reef about 20 years ago.

It was quite a small helicopter and I was upfront with the pilot and my wife was sat behind.

I had headphones and a direct link to the pilot.

I really loved it.
Same here on holiday in Jamaica. There were four of us me, hubby and an Italian couple the pilot introduced himself to us and we had a chat he then turned to me and said I want you to sit up front with me, I was thrilled I had headphones and direct link to him. The Italian couple were all loved up kissing and cuddling when suddenly their side door flew open, we were at a thousand feet at the time, the helicopter swayed a bit and the pilot said to me keep calm, you of all people need to stay calm, he regained control, and we landed in a field next to a factory and all the factory workers came running over and were cheering and waving at us. When we got back to our resort of mainly American tourists, I told everyone at dinner about it and the Americans were all saying OMG Gina, you must sue the company this could affect you for the rest of your life!! I was very popular for the rest of the holiday as they just kept coming over to me to talk about it:giggle:

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
A few minutes after take off in an old Aluette helicopter a loud banging that sounded to me like it was at the same rate as the rotor rpm, the pilot camly leaned back, opened the door and pulled a loose rear seat belt back in and shut the door.

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Not sure about The Irish Sea but in the North Sea one had to don a big orange survival suit, god hated putting that on, felt like a spceman going to the moon.
And yes helicopters fly better with a bit of wind.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Yes, did my bit in a helicopter working as Medic 1 on the South Yorkshire Ambulance Service. Credit to those pilots who could land almost anywhere, particularly risky in city centres. But the was almost 25 years ago and about 3 stones lighter. It was the most fascinating part of my career. I was young and full of bravado and never gave a thought about the risk, I loved it. Would I go in a chopper now…no way!

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Bell Jet Ranger .. belonged to a friend (RIP) who used to take me up occasionally.

1669889125140.png

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
All this talk of foreign helicopters, let’s not forget our wonderful Seakings, Lynx, Merlin, Tomcat and AW169 still saving lives and helping our troops today. AW101 replaces the Seaking.

3 old Seakings are off to Ukraine.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
All this talk of foreign helicopters, let’s not forget our wonderful Seakings, Lynx, Merlin, Tomcat and AW169 still saving lives and helping our troops today. AW101 replaces the Seaking.

3 old Seakings are off to Ukraine.
carolyn, I think you will find the Merlin was the replacement for the Seaking, although some Seaking operators have chosen the AW101 to replace their SAR Seakings, notably Norway.

Seaking was and in some cases is still, a wonderful workhorse, although I admit to some biase.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
carolyn, I think you will find the Merlin was the replacement for the Seaking, although some Seaking operators have chosen the AW101 to replace their SAR Seakings, notably Norway.

Seaking was and in some cases is still, a wonderful workhorse, although I admit to some biase.
I am reliably informed that they are the same thing really, our Navy likes the term Merlin Mk2 (EH101)whereas Norway use AW101.

The Wildcat replaced the Superlynx, I have a photo of Nick beside the Lynx with the team at Bath and West on the day they beat the world speed record. Must hunt it out.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Should you ever meet Nick please don’t get him talking about helicopters, he worked at Westlands for 42 years and is an expert on rotator blade vibration. Very niche, when we first met I tried to show an interest and asked what he’d do when he got it right! Didn’t go down terribly well as you can imagine.

One of our friends from those very early days ended up as a helicopter pilot in the Falklands with Prince Andrew ( not a fan ) . He ended his career as a test pilot for Westlands or Leonardos as we’re supposed to call it.
We also had a friend who was a sea king pilot with PA. His name was Paul Barber, probably knew your friend.
Phil

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Yep, flown in and worked on all of those. I loved the S61, a railway carriage with a slow turning rotor on top. Always felt safe in one, like the rig shift was over and safely home. Had a few scares in the 212, basically a Vietnam combat machine with little refinement. Obviously I would not be so sexist, but allegedly on a jollies day when taking the office girls for a circuit around around the airfield one rotor blade tab would be bent out of line so the vertical vibration was increased. The engineer would grab a rear facing seat to watch whatever may have been bouncing about.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Working in Port Said, Egypt in the mid 1970's the Egyptian Air Force had the giant Mil 4 fitted with the optional stub wings. Using a rolling take-off it could lift more internal weight than just going into the hover. Had a look around one, electric blade de-icing impressed me. There was an I-beam track running the length of the interior and along the tail boom, a manual chain hoist hanging from it. A truck would park under the boom and have it's cargo lifted up and slid into the hold. Can you imagine how complicated the Americans would have made that, elecric servo motors everwhere and probably a computer to determine where to put the load! On one rather hot day we watched from where our two Bell 212s were parked, a line of soldiers in frogman gear with parachutes stood in a pool of sweat as their officer walked along offering them water. Then we saw an entourage of military and civilians approach, one turned out to be Henry Kissinger who walked towards our American built helicopters, he had to led away to where a Russian aircraft awaited him. Seems the soldiers would follow behind in a transport plane as the VIP's flew to Isreal for peace talks. If needed they would parachute down to rescue Kissinger should he end up in the sea. Braver and fitter men than me.
images.jpeg

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
The helicopter I did the rope drop from was a Wessex. Getting in you got a lung full of exhaust fumes and hovering with the door open the cabin filled with exhaust fumes. The winch crews must have been immune to it .
Also it seemed very noisy and rattled a lot. I think that was normal but on a long flight it can’t have been very pleasant but for squaddie transport I don’t suppose that dosnt matter.

Reactions: 68c
OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Surprising what one learns from posting a few lines of a baby helicopter landing in the outback eh. Love it.👏👏

1ten

Free Member
Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
Also it seemed very noisy and rattled a lot. I think that was normal but on a long flight it can’t have been very pleasant but for squaddie transport I don’t suppose that dosnt matter.
A talent squaddies have is to able to sleep anywhere, I would usually be asleep within minutes of take of.
Being warm and dry made a nice change.
I can still fall asleep anywhere and rarely stay awake on a plane long enough to witness take off.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
This K-Max 1200 was used to extract diseased trees from Whinlatter forest in the Lakes. The pilot flew it here from Switzerland, with refuelling stops along the way. Apparently it was an arduous flight, as the helicopter is fairly slow and loves to fly backwards or hover, but isn't so keen on "normal" forward flight !
It has twin intermeshing rotors and the technical bit that I liked was there is no swash plate on the rotor heads, just servo flaps on the extremes of the blades that control their pitch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back