Headlines - plonker books ferry on wrong day !!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
My son and DIL flew out on Dec 31st transiting at San Francisco and arriving in New Zealand on Jan 2nd, missing out on a New Year's Eve celebration and Jan 1st. They are flying back from NZ in a couple of days on March 26th/27th when our clocks go forward so I suspect that means they'll lose another hour of their lives, or maybe they'll get 13 hours back and lose one......:unsure:
All rather confusing. However we do need time as Mark Twain said: 'Time is what keeps everything from happening at once'.
If you’re ever in Hartford Connecticut you can do a guided tour of Mark Twains house. As you walk down the ramp it’s festooned with his witty quips. Genius. His next door neighbour was Harriet Beecher Stow. A brilliant walk back in time.
Phil

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
We had Newhaven Dieppe booked for Monday last September but we were ready to go on Sunday. Just went anyway as you can stay overnight at the port for a fiver. Got there said any chance of going tonight? She changed the booking with no charge. So I would just go anyway and see what happens.
Dennis
good call, if only they would answer the phone! we are parked up on the 'fort' - £10 per night, great sea views but its rainy and windy so not going to be looking for an evening walk !!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I recall that some forty years ago I turned up a day late for the overnight ferry home. Less computerisation in those days so I was just checked in without any issue. Was a bit of a rush to get changed into a suit and tie to get to work the following morning.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
We are going on the 23rd, Tomorrow :Grin::Grin:.on the tunnel. And we live in Eastbourne. If you're staying at the Beachy Head, a nice pub but an exposed position when it's blowing like it is now.
We are parked at the Fort tonight, alarm set for 8am when the office opens to see if we can change our day without too much cost !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
i wonder what kind of plonker would book a ferry to France on the 24th March and then think the ferry is on the 23rd March, so is just about to leave for an overnighter near Eastbourne ....

of course Mrs Plonker is involved because she also had all the details.

Thankfully for The Plonker family - it wasnt booked a day behind, just a day in front, so they will be sailing on Friday and not Thursday.....

so, now the question is, do they set off today anyway and have an extra day around the Kent coast somewhere (recommendations please) or stay on the drive at home - my money is that Mr Plonker will get a couple of recommendations (on where to stay NOT to check bookings in future!) from the wonderful world of motorhome fun ....
I always take care of ferry booking and in 2000 we set off for France, ferry from Portsmouth to St Mali, a trip we’d made many times with our daughter and young grandson. As we approached check in daughter said, “Dad, this ticket is for tomorrow!” No, said I that’s the date we land…..but I was wrong. That cost me around £400 for two rooms in a hotel, meals and a full day in Portsmouth. 🙁🙁

cantonalegod

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8086df
Exp
A few years ago I booked a tunnel crossing for a few minutes after midnight.
Confused myself with the date, turned up 24 hours late!
Fortunately it only cost us an extra £6.
Won't be doing that again in the near future, mainly due to the exorbitant prices they are now charging!!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017
MisterB Sorry so late been out playing music bingo. You don't need to ring them to stay there just park up in the car park. Officially it's a fiver but if you have a crossing booked they normally can't be bothered.
Only in-house security and no cameras so no fines. Not a great view but fairly easy walk into town for pubs etc. We stayed on our return to the UK in November. Looked round Brighton and Worthing couldn't find an easy park up so went back and stayed a second night no problem.
Dennis

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Been there done that ours was a flight from Bangkok back to UK. Got back to Bangkok then found the flight wasn't tomorrow it was the next day, not too much of a problem as we had the use of our daughter's flat.
My son did this after 3 months in India. Problem was he had absolutely no money. He stayed at the airport for 24 hours and 'begged' food and drink from friendly passengers. When he finally checked in they upgraded him to first class!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
i wonder what kind of plonker would book a ferry to France on the 24th March and then think the ferry is on the 23rd March, so is just about to leave for an overnighter near Eastbourne ....

of course Mrs Plonker is involved because she also had all the details.

Thankfully for The Plonker family - it wasnt booked a day behind, just a day in front, so they will be sailing on Friday and not Thursday.....

so, now the question is, do they set off today anyway and have an extra day around the Kent coast somewhere (recommendations please) or stay on the drive at home - my money is that Mr Plonker will get a couple of recommendations (on where to stay NOT to check bookings in future!) from the wonderful world of motorhome fun ....
I once booked a hotel for 10 nights....but my flight was 11 days after our arrival...Are we somehow related?

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
MisterB Sorry so late been out playing music bingo. You don't need to ring them to stay there just park up in the car park. Officially it's a fiver but if you have a crossing booked they normally can't be bothered.
Only in-house security and no cameras so no fines. Not a great view but fairly easy walk into town for pubs etc. We stayed on our return to the UK in November. Looked round Brighton and Worthing couldn't find an easy park up so went back and stayed a second night no problem.
Dennis
Thanks, we are parked up just past the terminal at a spot called 'The Fort' (p4n) - it's £10 and adequate for our needs, no services etc. Had a couple of late night music lovers playing it loud and clear until about 2230 but other than that and the noise of vessels using the port it's been pretty much quiet since about 2300. Windy though, glad we didn't go to Beachy Head pub (thanks Reallyretired) and rainy)

If you're into sea fishing from the shore, this could be an ideal spot to fish from with all the comforts and facilities of a home on wheels!

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
We had Newhaven Dieppe booked for Monday last September but we were ready to go on Sunday. Just went anyway as you can stay overnight at the port for a fiver. Got there said any chance of going tonight? She changed the booking with no charge. So I would just go anyway and see what happens.
Dennis
I rang them earlier, they want just under £50 to change the booking to today, I politely declined (the original booking was £85) we don't gain anything by going earlier, the only additional cost to our planned journey has been the £10 we paid last night - which would make it into a £60 mistake and not a £10 mistake as we intended paying to stay somewhere tonight anyway.

It gives us a chance to have a look around this part of the Sussex coast and put the £50 towards fuel. It's not a win-win but it's a lot closer to a score draw !!

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Photos atrached

IMG_20230323_093128.jpg IMG_20230323_093140.jpg IMG_20230323_093146.jpg IMG_20230323_093212.jpg IMG_20230323_093512.jpg IMG_20230323_094117.jpg IMG_20230323_094329.jpg IMG_20230323_094431.jpg IMG_20230323_094936.jpg IMG_20230323_095024.jpg IMG_20230323_095041.jpg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574 A class
Exp
A returner after a 10 year gap
I did once arrive at at the tail end of the queue to board the Plymouth to Santander ferry for a pilgrimage to Santiago di Compostela. There were 12 of us in a series 3 LandRover 109 with a full roof load of tents and kit. They had over booked and we had a couple of days bumming around Plymouth on Brittany Ferries expenses. Always been early for ferries and planes since.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
///starlight.reputable.swimmer

For those interested, the above is the what three words location of where we are

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back