Have You Recently Had VB Full Air Fitted - Then BEWARE (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
With all the preparations for going away I forgot to post about this.
I recently had VB FullAir Suspension fitted then the following week had an MOT. He spotted this silver bolt was lose and called me in to show me. He didn’t fail it but allowed me to take it the short distance home on condition that I got it fixed.

20240518_151617.jpeg

20240518_151600.jpeg

Obviously I contacted SAP immediately who were horrified but insisted that they get that part pre assembled and had no need to check it. So they put me in contact with VB the manufacturers who assured me it wasn’t dangerous but also said I shouldn’t drive it! So I obviously couldn’t take it anywhere to get it fixed so removed each and “loctited” them. In fact all except one were only finger tight and that one was not at the correct torque. I may have just got a Friday afternoon build, but if you have that front suspension I suggest you check those bolts. Just lift the suspension to maximum and they can be easily seen.
Apart from this problem I am really pleased with the suspension, the van is much more stable and unaffected by Trucks and Coaches and it has easily levelled us on some places that would have been difficult to sleep in.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I recently had VB FullAir Suspension fitted then the following week had an MOT. He spotted this silver bolt was lose and called me in to show me. He didn’t fail it but allowed me to take it the short distance home on condition that I got it fixed.

View attachment 907092

View attachment 907091

Obviously I contacted SAP immediately who were horrified but insisted that they get that part pre assembled and had no need to check it. So they put me in contact with VB the manufacturers who assured me it wasn’t dangerous but also said I shouldn’t drive it! So I obviously couldn’t take it anywhere to get it fixed so removed each and “loctited” them. In fact all except one were only finger tight and that one was not at the correct torque. I may have just got a Friday afternoon build, but if you have that front suspension I suggest you check those bolts. Just lift the suspension to maximum and they can be easily seen.
Apart from this problem I am really pleased with the suspension, the van is much more stable and unaffected by Trucks and Coaches and it has easily levelled us on some places that would have been difficult to sleep in.
That should be fairly obvious to anyone fitting that and clipping in the cables and pipe work.
That’s a piss poor excuse from sap.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
So they put me in contact with VB the manufacturers who assured me it wasn’t dangerous but also said I shouldn’t drive it!
It wasn’t a matter for you to be put in touch with the manufacturers, who’s advice was not to drive the van. The installers are the parties that bear the contractual obligation to provide parts and service to the requisite level. They should take it up with the manufacturers.
Glad you got it sorted though with no mishap.👍

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Must say I’m surprised by the response from SAP who are normally 5* when it comes to customer care. Not making excuses but as per my previous post Mick has just lost his wife and they are struggling with accounts, payments, invoices etc due to Jill having the passwords for everything prior to her sudden death. Perhaps it’s worth cutting Mick a little slack at the moment and look at his previous track record with many many members here would testify to his first class customer care.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Must say I’m surprised by the response from SAP who are normally 5* when it comes to customer care. Not making excuses but as per my previous post Mick has just lost his wife and they are struggling with accounts, payments, invoices etc due to Jill having the passwords for everything prior to her sudden death. Perhaps it’s worth cutting Mick a little slack at the moment and look at his previous track record with many many members here would testify to his first class customer care.
I didn’t speak to or have any contact with Mick. I was told he had semi-retired. But I have never met him. I just went there because of reputation.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
They have been very good at resolving my issues up to now, and I can say that the issues I've had have not been due to their workmanship. The loose screws shown in the original post must have been screwed in before leaving SAP. They could not have missed something like that.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
This post has just been resurrected. I must say that I have just done 11,000km in the last two months with the suspension and I am very pleased with it. A little slower to return to driving position than I would have hoped but apart from that it has saved the back of the van many many times on and off the very many ferries here in Norway and while ascending steep slopes getting out of parking places. And of course being almost level every time we stop without ramps.
My only complaint is with the manufacturers VB themselves who have not even paid for the sockets I had to buy to correct their bad assembly. If SAP receives the parts pre assembled I would not expect them to disassemble them to check manufacturing quality.
When I return I will be contacting VB again.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
They have been very good at resolving my issues up to now, and I can say that the issues I've had have not been due to their workmanship. The loose screws shown in the original post must have been screwed in before leaving SAP. They could not have missed something like that.
I agree, I had driven a couple of hundred miles since leaving the SAP workshop. The screws must have been assembled finger tight without any screw lock and they would have unscrewed with vibration. Since I torqued them and used screw lock they have not shifted in 11,000km.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
My major complaint is why I needed 2 complete struts for leaks, there should have been a repair kit, or VB should refurb them.

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
I have had similar in the past. Talk to VB. I did not buy it from VB but SAP. No help from fitting agent at all. I was just extremely
pleased that VB were very helpful and bent over backwards to resolve the issue.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
jezport , I know it is a bit late now for you but I wonder if one of those Tyre leak Fix aerosols squirted into the emergency inflator would have fixed the slow leak.?

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011

View attachment 907092

View attachment 907091

I assume you took the pictures after loctiting them and what did you torque them to ?
I had full air fitted last year.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I assume you took the pictures after loctiting them and what did you torque them to ?
I had full air fitted last year.
Yes this was after tightening them. I removed each in turn applied Loctite and tightened them to 20Nm (not very tight) as advised by VB. I had conflicting info from them. First was that they were not structural but not to drive it without tightening them. So how they expected me to take it to Leasure World who were the nearest installer, but I would never use them, without doing the job first I din’t know. They have still not paid me for the tools I had to buy either.
I am very impressed with the suspension having used it for two months solid and 11,000km. But I am not impressed by VB air themselves. I suspect they will wriggle on any hint of a warranty claim if one arises as jezport found.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
My issues were after their warranty period, however to have to fork out thousands of pounds to replace both front struts wasn't what I had expected from a premium product.

Jan 30, 2021
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Escape 664
Exp
Since 2015
Aside from the bolt I would say the whole wheel arch needs a bloody good wash and polish I'd be embarrassed to show pics of my wheel arches looking like that

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Aside from the bolt I would say the whole wheel arch needs a bloody good wash and polish I'd be embarrassed to show pics of my wheel arches looking like that
In my defence, I had just driven from Telford in the Midlands to the Northern Border of Finland & Norway virtually non stop through some terrible weather. Before I remembered to post the warning. Of course you would normally be able to shave using the inside of my wheel arches as a mirror. :coolest:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back