Have I just found the best ever sat NAV for motor homes (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
You can also put your vehicle dimensions, weights etc in MagicEarth And it’s a free app!
You certainly can, but my experience when driving trucks, is that Road Lords is far more accurate than Magic Earth, keeping me clear of 7.5T weight restrictions, whereas Magic Earth tried to route me through them. :doh:

Friday, Monday, and Tuesday gone, I found myself delivering/collecting at commercial locations I hadn't been to before. The Road Lords Navigation App on my phone got it right every time, for my dimensions and weight input of 44T.

In the MH, I use my trusty 9" Xgody X4 (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished
What are you currently using that space for?

If you aren't planning on installing a ton of other apps onto your tablet, downloading the maps is a great way of using it.

Also, filling up much of that space with data isn't going to slow down your tablet. (It's funny how many people think the opposite. Mind you, if you filled it with a ton of apps all demanding service in the background, it certainly would slow down!)
Well you say that. The iPad Os uses nearly 5gb. Then there’s music,kindle,ACSI, photos, google maps, p4n etc. after all those I only actually have 5gb left.

Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
Well you say that. The iPad Os uses nearly 5gb. Then there’s music,kindle,ACSI, photos, google maps, p4n etc. after all those I only actually have 5gb left.
Oh, quite.

Photos and music are the real killers there.

The larger countries (UK, Fr, De) are about 2Gb, but you can definitely download mapping for Ireland! (362Mb)👀😱

I stream my music (and cache favs and playlists), and don't keep photos locally, so I guess I'm in a different boat.

Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished
Just checked to have a clean up. Only managed to free another 2g.
Maybe shouldn’t of been so tight and got the bigger iPad with 64g

Oct 22, 2023
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F60
Exp
Newbies as of June 2024
I've put Magic Earth on my phone and tested it via Android Auto in my car. It worked perfectly. This morning, preparing for our trip, my phone connected to Android auto on the crappy XZent console (2 months old), but it just showed a mirror image of my phone and not in full screen mode.

Does anyone know how to get the navigation screen to show in full screen?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2023
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E460
Hi all I just wondered if anyone's got a better sat NAV app than the one I have just started using . I have been using the CoPilot app for motorhomes on my iPhone for a while and found it OK but not brilliant at finding the best route for my 7m MHO

While I was browsing the App Store I found a new sat NAV app called “Sygic” . I started using it in the past week , getting ready for my motorhome trip to Spain next week . I have been really surprised by how good this sat NAV is ,

I am surprised by the extra features this sat NAV has, it has a dash Cam app built , a heads up display , a van incline meter to help level the van , offline maps of every country , can get GPS locations from photos in your library in using your phone camera . speed camara locations , live fuel prices along the route , alarm when you go over the speed limit on any road , live traffic updates. All this for £13.99 per year !

I am now considering paying the additional £44.00 extra for the lifetime use of the motorhome feature.

Does anyone else have anything better than this ??
I use Sygic. It's excellent, very many features, not least it's android auto compatable, and maps are held offline. I treated myself to the motorhome upgrade which is very good too. 1000km into a long European trip and no problems at all.

Dec 22, 2018
Tasmania, Australia (northern summer in Europe)
Funster No
MH
Hymer Classic B584
Exp
Since 2019
Road lords is android only.

Copilot does CarPlay now.

Magic Earth is not too bad, but the routing always takes the dirty, very in scenic truck routes around towns.

Sygic has the Caravan variant of the truck version, or the Premium car version with Camper plugin. I’ve asked them if there’s any difference, but their terrible support can’t tell me. They also have an extremely confusing licence system. It’s probably my favourite for use on my 10” Carpuride screen, but still not as good as my TomTom camper.

Feb 21, 2023
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E460
I've put Magic Earth on my phone and tested it via Android Auto in my car. It worked perfectly. This morning, preparing for our trip, my phone connected to Android auto on the crappy XZent console (2 months old), but it just showed a mirror image of my phone and not in full screen mode.

Does anyone know how to get the navigation screen to show in full screen?
I like Magic Earth a lot. But found andriod auto too buggy with the kind of issues you had.

Oct 22, 2023
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F60
Exp
Newbies as of June 2024
It
I like Magic Earth a lot. But found andriod auto too buggy with the kind of issues you had.
Connected to my car screen no problem, and used all of the screen for the sat nav, but on the MH screen it's just a phone-sized view and we can't have the radio on or use Spotify at the same time.

I suspect it's an XZent issue rather than Magic Earth.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
AA large page UK road map -£7.99 does me. Maybe a post it on the steering wheel….

All sat navs have their issues and i wouldnt trust them tbh
I had a similar outlook to you when sailing! I’ve never trusted electronics at sea, always preferring paper charts and a pencil….

However, there’s a place for both! Sailing round from the east coast to the Jurassic coast, I was missing a bit in my charts. My iPad did a brilliant job from Ramsgate to around Brighton…

There is a caveat, we were struck by lightning off Ramsgate which knocked out onboard electronics and VHF (my iPad survived as wasn’t plugged in).

Whatever satnav you use, I’d still carry a road map… 😂🤣

Jul 22, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I use C0-Pilot a lot at the moment and it’s very good but I wish it wouldn’t take me through short cuts where only a Land Rover would be happy to go…

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
I had a similar outlook to you when sailing! I’ve never trusted electronics at sea, always preferring paper charts and a pencil….

However, there’s a place for both! Sailing round from the east coast to the Jurassic coast, I was missing a bit in my charts. My iPad did a brilliant job from Ramsgate to around Brighton…

There is a caveat, we were struck by lightning off Ramsgate which knocked out onboard electronics and VHF (my iPad survived as wasn’t plugged in).

Whatever satnav you use, I’d still carry a road map… 😂🤣
100% agree, charts and maps, compass, stars and dead reckoning all vital skills.

Understand that admiralty charts are no longer been printed in paper format….

Jungle navigation exactly the same, GPS is massively unreliable…..

Feb 12, 2023
Walsall, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 522 Van
Exp
Since 2021
Hi all I just wondered if anyone's got a better sat NAV app than the one I have just started using . I have been using the CoPilot app for motorhomes on my iPhone for a while and found it OK but not brilliant at finding the best route for my 7m MHO

While I was browsing the App Store I found a new sat NAV app called “Sygic” . I started using it in the past week , getting ready for my motorhome trip to Spain next week . I have been really surprised by how good this sat NAV is ,

I am surprised by the extra features this sat NAV has, it has a dash Cam app built , a heads up display , a van incline meter to help level the van , offline maps of every country , can get GPS locations from photos in your library in using your phone camera . speed camara locations , live fuel prices along the route , alarm when you go over the speed limit on any road , live traffic updates. All this for £13.99 per year !

I am now considering paying the additional £44.00 extra for the lifetime use of the motorhome feature.

I use a tom tom camper and Co pilot on my phone. Going to Shepton Mallet instructed both to avoid toll roads. Tom Tom wanted to send me through clean air zone. Co Pilot got me through Bristol avoiding the clean air zone. Find I am using Co pilot more now as a result.

Jan 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
La Strada
Have to agree, the wife navigates and overrides the sat nav I am 100% happy with the paper maps she uses.
My wife's navigation is the reason I turned to satnav in the first place..
My La Strada has the same footprint as (say) a Transit so I don't feel the need to let the satnav decide what roads it can cope with. Google maps works fine for me but usually I set it on the laptop, check it for plausibility, and then send it to the phone to use...

Sep 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since 1973
I have had the Sygic camper Version for the last year and it is not so good, despite inputting dimensions it still sends me down unsuitable roads, and asking for a non- motorway route will send you along every farm track it can find...
Went back to Google for the last 2 weeks in the North of Germany, less stressful by far....
I agree it sends you on totally unnecessary narrow single-track roads when there is a nice A road running alongside

I get far better routes just using a standard TomTom than the Sygic Camper version with the width and weight limits inputted.
Would love it to be good as I paid £79 but can't trust it

Jan 13, 2013
Leicester
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I use co-pilot, I have had some problems but have with all the others as well. Overall I find it best of the bunch.

Road lords is android only.

Copilot does CarPlay now.
I don’t think co pilot does apple carplay….

IMG_0196.png

Jul 14, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin sp van
Exp
Since 1999
Have you tried Road Lords ? It's Waze for trucks. So always up to the minute for traffic & you input sizes of the vehicle.
It's been pretty good so far this year for us.

Aug 24, 2023
Brixham, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 3007
Exp
September 2023 :)
Done about 7/8 years continental coach driving previously, must be honest, didn't have satnav in them days.
Good old paper maps, no problems.
We seem to be going so fast forward with tech these days, that we are actually going BACKWARDS!
A bit like the clothes we are now wearing.......... :roflmto:
Think about it......

Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have used Google for years yes it is free , but does not have anything like the features of Sygic £1.16 a month this is a bargin . AND it works on Apple Car Play !
I’ll have a look at this. Currently touring in Italy and most annoying feature of Google is that you pick a route from what’s suggested (usually fastest route) and off you go. Then en route you notice it’s changed course as in it thinks it’s found a quicker route. There’s no facility on Google to ‘lock in’ a particular route so that your journey actually was the one you thought you’d originally chosen.

Aug 8, 2019
Newent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since November 2018

I agree, I've been using Sygic for over 20 years and upgraded to the Motorhome Version, which I thought well worth it. Sadly no longer motorhoming but still use it occasionally as the Satnav in my car is pretty c**p.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I’ll have a look at this. Currently touring in Italy and most annoying feature of Google is that you pick a route from what’s suggested (usually fastest route) and off you go. Then en route you notice it’s changed course as in it thinks it’s found a quicker route. There’s no facility on Google to ‘lock in’ a particular route so that your journey actually was the one you thought you’d originally chosen.
Just zoom in and input waypoints along the route you prefer. (y)

Some folks rely on minimal route planning, minutes before setting off, totally relying on their devices mapping to see them right. I prefer to do mine the night before, with inputs on the route I want to take, for our size of vehicle.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Done about 7/8 years continental coach driving previously, must be honest, didn't have satnav in them days.
Good old paper maps, no problems.
We seem to be going so fast forward with tech these days, that we are actually going BACKWARDS!
A bit like the clothes we are now wearing.......... :roflmto:
Think about it......
Hi.
Shoe box full of different A-Z's on the bonnet and a BIG Phillips Atlas. Across the channel... Monsieur ? La crayon and papier ..... Please :ROFLMAO: = Happy days. (y)
Tea Bag.

Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
Just checked to have a clean up. Only managed to free another 2g.
Maybe shouldn’t of been so tight and got the bigger iPad with 64g
Yeah, probably. Hindsight's a great thing.

I'm assuming the iPad is 32gb, which by today's standard is quite small.

Most things here have 128Gb, including the phones, which are 2020 vintage!

When you come to replace it, you'll have a better choice of capacity.

Jun 29, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
new

does it give you the option to avoid speed humps? that would ease my life considerably

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Yes, google maps….. free..😎
Not infallible though. Only last Saturday I typed in a hotel name and town. When i was within a couple of hundred metres, suddenly it directed me nearly 1/4 mile past the hotel - down a back alley in fact (that's when I knew it wasn't right).
Cancelled and re-typed the info in again and it corrected itself. No errors on my behalf.

Jul 20, 2023
Battle, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL Auto
Exp
Limited motorhome and campervan hire previously.
It

Connected to my car screen no problem, and used all of the screen for the sat nav, but on the MH screen it's just a phone-sized view and we can't have the radio on or use Spotify at the same time.

I suspect it's an XZent issue rather than Magic Earth.
I believe it is the radio as I use Magic earth with my Kenwood via USB cable and its been faultless. Magic Earth has its oddities but overall I prefer it over anything else I have used so far.

Sep 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 months

I have been using Copilot for years with no issues (except ones of my own making). That's, car solo, car+caravan, 7m motorhome, rental cars, home and abroad (France, Spain, Madeira, Canada, USA). I have several profiles set up depending on vehicle and journey, especially toll road preferences. No satnav (or map for that matter) is perfect. A satnav only "knows" any statutory restrictions for height, width, weight, etc and will route you accordingly. What a satnav can't know is the width of every road. What you can do, within the Copilot vehicle profile settings, is set your preferences so that you can, for example, "strongly avoid" local streets or other road categories.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back