Has anyone used or any experience of these fence posts ? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

I need a high fence to deter Two Legged Rats. I require 50m, 35 of which are on a fairly windy aspect.

I have planning permission for 2m high fencing. Though I was going to place 3m posts in 60cm and drop 2m panels in with 40cm panels on top. That's a just in-case someone complains.

Any thoughts welcome please>?

Nov 4, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
Since 2005

We have Colourfence after losing traditional arris rail, post and weatherboard fence in high winds. Was about 7% more installed than replacing the old fence with concrete posts and gravel boards. Been in 12 years now, no need to do anything to it other than look out on it.

We added the 'trellis' section to go higher on the rear garden bit.

There is a gap underneath that relieves wind load.

The local installer turned up when said to survey, provided fixed price 2 days earlier than said, installed on day said. We are still waiting for the local fence expert to give us a quote!!

There was a CAMC discount scheme at one time when we were members after install.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I'd go with 3m concrete posts.
With a concrete weatherboard

Drop in the fence panels, and then put a trellis on top, as it's a lot harder to climb over a trellis, you can also plant something dense and spikey that will make it harder still to climb over after a few years.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
nd drop 2m panels in with 40cm panels
i'd change the 40cm to electric fencing with razor wire behind
as it's a lot harder to climb over a trellis,
or leave as trellis with electric & razor wire hidden behind on the inside. no need for any signage then as no one should be on the inside.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
or leave as trellis with electric & razor wire hidden behind on the inside. no need for any signage then as no one should be on the inside.
I think you will find that is not the case. The electric fence may be fine but the razor wire not. Any hazard deliberately placed that then hurts someone, even if they are technically trespassing is sueable. I suspect,, but you would need to check, that your home insurance would decline any claim. If a child is involved, or any serious injury or death results you can expect to be prosecuted.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Lengths of this along the top even keeps cats out (it may not be legal but.............)

1726397340875.png

1726397243839.png

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Drop in the fence panels, and then put a trellis on top, as it's a lot harder to climb over a trellis, you can also plant something dense and spikey that will make it harder still to climb over after a few years.
I have had issues with concrete posts cracking or frost damage . Hence why I liked at these

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I suspect,, but you would need to check, that your home insurance would decline any claim.
I wouldn't be claiming nor would anyone else
If a child is involved, or any serious injury or death results you can expect to be prosecuted.
Only if they are still in the land of the living?
Any hazard deliberately placed that then hurts someone, even if they are technically trespassing is sueable.
By who ? someone who is dead.
Why would I worry about any of that when if i found someone on my property I'd beat them to a pulp anyway? Surely it is better that they get serrated hands & clear off than complain & get annulled?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I have had issues with concrete posts cracking or frost damage . Hence why I liked at these
Metal rusts.
It also tends to be expensive meter for meter.
I think a decent grade of concrete post will last.

We had a property with concrete posts erected by British Rail or their predecessors, probably in the 1920's and certainly no later than the 1950's.
Zero maintenance since the line was closed in about 1980 (and no maintenance in the preceding decades(s))

Still as good as the day they were put in, with most of the wire still in place.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Concrete posts usually have reinforcing bar running through them. Cracks etc shouldn't mean they will fail, might not be pretty but it's a garden fence not a wall of outstanding beauty ....

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!

I need a high fence to deter Two Legged Rats. I require 50m, 35 of which are on a fairly windy aspect.

I have planning permission for 2m high fencing. Though I was going to place 3m posts in 60cm and drop 2m panels in with 40cm panels on top. That's a just in-case someone complains.

I have them and they're excellent. My garden fences have withstood all weather, and the posts look very smart. Although the slats are horizontal they are set in such a way that it would be very difficult to climb the fence with shoes on. The fence is not see through, apart from the top section which was spaced to give light and sightlines. I'll be replacing the wood before I replace the steel. (Wood pressure treated and should last 20 years. Posts guaranteed for 25 years.)

However, I would set the slats differently if I was in an area where I was seriously worried about the fence being climbed, and would probably also have wider slats.

IMG_3321-Garden_WIP-lo-May23.jpg

This is what it replaced. I'm very pleased!
gIMG_20190403_140244.jpg

IMG_3321-Garden_WIP-lo-May23.jpg

Nov 6, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend t7051
I have just fitted 70 ft of the Anthracite 6 ft panels and I did found the Durapst system easy to work with.
Due to part of the garden flooding I chose to used1 ft concrete gravel boards with 5 foot wooden panels.
The durapost system are guaranteed for 25 years and are easier than the concrete posts to fit.

883CF876-1380-42E1-9436-39F54071E671.jpeg

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I wouldn't be claiming nor would anyone else

Only if they are still in the land of the living?

By who ? someone who is dead.
Why would I worry about any of that when if i found someone on my property I'd beat them to a pulp anyway? Surely it is better that they get serrated hands & clear off than complain & get annulled?
The Tony Martin case set the legal precedent here. Can't speak for Spain, but any of you proposed solutions above would see you in court here. Even more so if a child was involved. Violence and cruelty never solve anything long term.

Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013

I used them for a 2.2m high traditional fence. They are concreted in about ,75m and I used 2x2 rough sawn timber to build a framework between the posts, then clad them traditionally with larch. Easy to do....
We are 720 feet up on an exposed Cumbrian Fellside, where strong winds are the norm. They have stood up to over 80mph winds no problems at all.
DSC_0022.jpg

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.

Gravel boards

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I used them for a 2.2m high traditional fence. They are concreted in about ,75m and I used 2x2 rough sawn timber to build a framework between the posts, then clad them traditionally with larch. Easy to do....
We are 720 feet up on an exposed Cumbrian Fellside, where strong winds are the norm. They have stood up to over 80mph winds no problems at all. View attachment 950508
may I ask what dimensions of larch you used please ?

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
The old traditionalist I am, I used 100x100 x 3.0 timber post set in 600 deep concrete, 3 x 2.0m length cant rails and 150x 25 timber gravel boards set between the post, faced with ex150 x 22mm x 1.8m high weatherboard. I then put 5 rows of 2x 1” battens of which I chamfered the edges so water doesn’t sit on top. Total height of fence 2.4m.

Did almost the same at the other end of the yard. Only difference being the panels between the post are 2.4m and I’m yet to get around to fitting the battens. That was nearly 3 years ago, and still standing.

IMG_2900.jpeg

IMG_2899.jpeg

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010

You say planning permission and it's a UK product so presumably you mean in the UK. In that case the 3 m galvanised posts should work. You want it at 600 depth set in postcrete.

Wooden fences are very easy to climb. (Except when they're so flimsy they'll break.) I custom-built a 2 metre high wooden fence in the UK recently and a month later the neighbours' tree surgeons happily walked along the top of it while they were doing their work. So much for security.

Countries and locations have different conventions and aesthetic sensibilities.

Metal security fencing is a lot more difficult to scale. Had it been, say, in a part of Spain where this would fit into the neighbourhood, something like this would be more secure (perhaps with a more secure bracket design)

1726436231408.png

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back