Has anyone successfully recovered a disabled Facebook account. If so how? (1 Viewer)

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Earlier this week my Facebook account was hacked by somebody in Honolulu, USA changed the password and then set up an Instagram account with inappropriate content. Facebook closed it down and my account within an hour or so.

So I'm left with a disabled FB account without access to my and an associated FB account.

I have followed the process of asking for a review using the help section procedure and uploaded my driving licence as ID proof. I've also sent an email with the same ID to disabled@fb.com but so far zero response.

I understand there is no way to phone Facebook you just get a recorded message so the email route is the only way - or is it?

Any other suggestions on how to get my FB account back? I'm really p**sed off and concerned that I cannot get into my other account of which I am the only admin.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I cant help with the problem,
I have found FB will restore accounts once they have proof, but it may take awhile.

I would strongly suggest you start to use a password app, such as LastPass (There are several others).
Some are free, some have a yearly subscription.

It means all passwords are in one place accessible by you.
They can be accessed on your PC or phone.
You can have family accounts.
You only have to remember one password (Your master password).
Every password is unique and can be autogenerated by the app meaning long strings of characters which makes them difficult to hack.

1701517412045.png

The only passwords I ever save to my PC are the ones not involving money and would not matter if they got hacked.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
When you get the account back, set up two factor authentication. This means that even if someone can access your password, they also need your phone or whatever is the second check process to get in. As you'd still have that second device, you'd have a warning someone was trying to get in and can get there first to update your passwords or whatever and block them.

Two Factor Authentication needs to be in place on any other important things like email accounts, banking, or whatever that you cannot afford to let someone else get hold of.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I cant help with the problem,
I have found FB will restore accounts once they have proof, but it may take awhile.

I would strongly suggest you start to use a password app, such as LastPass (There are several others).
Some are free, some have a yearly subscription.

It means all passwords are in one place accessible by you.
They can be accessed on your PC or phone.
You can have family accounts.
You only have to remember one password (Your master password).
Every password is unique and can be autogenerated by the app meaning long strings of characters which makes them difficult to hack.

View attachment 840005

The only passwords I ever save to my PC are the ones not involving money and would not matter if they got hacked.
I agree with the use of a password manager. As a minimum, the password manager needs to be secured with 2FA (two factor authentication). I also secure all the accounts I care about with 2FA: email, social media, banking (including PayPal) and the bigger shopping sites.

Reactions: JRT
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
When you get the account back, set up two factor authentication. This means that even if someone can access your password, they also need your phone or whatever is the second check process to get in. As you'd still have that second device, you'd have a warning someone was trying to get in and can get there first to update your passwords or whatever and block them.

Two Factor Authentication needs to be in place on any other important things like email accounts, banking, or whatever that you cannot afford to let someone else get hold of.
Lol. Exactly the same advice. 😅

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Authy is a good 2FA app and can be used on most platforms.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Here are the top ten 'best' free password managers for 2023.
All support 2FA (Two Factor Authentication) which is an app or text on your mobile

There is a longer list of subscription password managers, which if like me you have well over 100 log in's and passwords, is money well spent.

OP
OP
Kups
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Thanks all. I use Dashlane password manager and will set up 2 FA as suggested, I use it on other accounts. I think the hacker got in via my other page (a choir) which is linked to YouTube and Instagram. They set up an illegal Instagram account which caused FB to disable my account.
Still waiting for a response from FB to my two approaches.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Thanks all. I use Dashlane password manager and will set up 2 FA as suggested, I use it on other accounts. I think the hacker got in via my other page (a choir) which is linked to YouTube and Instagram. They set up an illegal Instagram account which caused FB to disable my account.
Still waiting for a response from FB to my two approaches.
I'm not sure. Doesn't that mean you've got common passwords between them?

I've had my password exposed before. It's out there on hacker released public databases. Thankfully that password was for a defunct online shop that I hadn't used for years. And I had used a password manager, so the password was totally random and unique to that site. So hackers can try my email address and that password with as many other sites as they like, but it won't work.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Avoid using the same password on more than one website.
All of the Password Manager applications will warn you of any duplicates and also will provide 15-20 character automated random password suggestions

It's a very common hack, to get a valid email address and password for one site, (especially long since closed companies)
and then try that same email/password combination with hundreds of other sites and see what what works and what does not.

OP
OP
Kups
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
I'm not sure. Doesn't that mean you've got common passwords between them?

I've had my password exposed before. It's out there on hacker released public databases. Thankfully that password was for a defunct online shop that I hadn't used for years. And I had used a password manager, so the password was totally random and unique to that site. So hackers can try my email address and that password with as many other sites as they like, but it won't work.
No. Dashlane is a very secure subscription based password manager. It holds all your passwords and will generate very secure passwords on request. It can also hold your credit card details for use when filling in online purchases. Highly secure and one good feature is that it keeps a record of your password changes so you can look back to previously used passwords if necessary. https://www.dashlane.com/

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
No. Dashlane is a very secure subscription based password manager. It holds all your passwords and will generate very secure passwords on request. It can also hold your credit card details for use when filling in online purchases. Highly secure and one good feature is that it keeps a record of your password changes so you can look back to previously used passwords if necessary. https://www.dashlane.com/
I don't understand how someone hacked your Facebook account if it was using a secure password. Unless you've got larger issues such as malware. I'm also not sure how they'd set up an Instagram account without using a different email address, so how would they be linked?

OP
OP
Kups
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
I don't understand how someone hacked your Facebook account if it was using a secure password. Unless you've got larger issues such as malware. I'm also not sure how they'd set up an Instagram account without using a different email address, so how would they be linked?
Neither do I. My guess is that I had several "warnings" allegedly from Meta that the choir FB page was breaching their Community Standards and to log in to check the content. That must have been the way they got in. Mea culpa and a warning not to work on FB late at night. Leave it to the next day when your head and judgement is clearer.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Neither do I. My guess is that I had several "warnings" allegedly from Meta that the choir FB page was breaching their Community Standards and to log in to check the content. That must have been the way they got in. Mea culpa and a warning not to work on FB late at night. Leave it to the next day when your head and judgement is clearer.
I had that ‘warning’ from Meta pop up in my notifications last week and very nearly clicked on the link. It was only the fact that there were a couple of grammatical errors in the wording that raised my suspicions. Otherwise it looked authentic.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I had an experience recently where someone broke into my account and took my email address and phone number. I tried using the "forgotten password" service to reset my password.
Unfortunately, I keep getting the reset link emailed to the email address linked to my Facebook account. I requested help from Facebook's community service in response to this problem. They promised to look into it and get back to me.
That said, they then deleted my account, and I haven't heard from them in the interim. I was referred to ( MARIECONSULTANCYOZ@GMAIL.COM and INSTAGRAM :MARIE_CONSULTANCY). I needed assistance and was upset. I decided to give it a shot after considering their advise, and happily it worked!
mmmm

What is that smell ?
Spam or Bullshit ?

(Message Reported)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back