Handbrake too close to "door" trim. (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
I have a RHD Fiat Ducato based MH (Fleurette Wincenser), 2020 model, and my handbrake is so close to the side trim that it genuinely hurts my knuckles to use it.

I'll get a picture of it tomorrow, but is this something anyone else has suffered from? Can't find any mention of it here, so I'm guessing I might have something wrong with mine. I only know one other person with this MH (daveclare ) and he says his is fine.

The problem is there's a curved bit of trim designed, I imagine, to give a human hand space to operate the brake, but it's so tight you'd have to be a "certain ex-president" to get your hands in there comfortably.

("door" is in quotes because there is no actual door there, but in any other type of vehicle there probably would have been).

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
But that's what P is for on an auto box PARK,
It would never occur to me to use that only
P doesn't disengage any thing. It pushes a steel pawl into a special gear to lock the transmission,
& a sharp tap when someone else is parking snaps it off.That is why You never do it here as it ends in tears.I always left my auto box in N or any gear rather than P when out just for that reason.
Done that a few timesšŸ¤£
As have I but fortunately beiing a lot older van with a handbrake made out of decent thick steel they do not bend you are just left hanging there
They don't use the "emergency brake" to the point it's seized up on many cars.
They give you licences & don't have any type of testing for cars or trucks in many states, along with many consider brakes a luxury,so you can't really go by anything over there.
Used to be that if you didn't apply handbrake & in to neutral every time you stopped when taking a driving test you failed.

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Could you make a cutout in the panel and make a recessed panel. Fairly easy if your internal walls are wallboard a bit more difficult if they are aluminium.

What I'm thinking is cut cut a section of wallboard reduce the foam behind it by 10 or 15mm, replace the board then fit a right angle trim around it.

Other solution is swap it for a LHD much more sensible with an A Class. :rofl:
LHD and an auto box LennyšŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ˜‡

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
He said RHD so no drivers door.

Not always šŸ¤”šŸ‘

image.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Coach build low profile
Exp
Since 2012
Pretty much every driver in 'merica exclusively only uses Park on their auto box when they leave the vehicle. They don't use the "emergency brake" to the point it's seized up on many cars.
I am merely passing on information to try to help/inform people that Park is not an alternative to using the handbrake, people can act on the information as they see fit. I would suggest a look at Google or you tube for information before dismissing the information.
Pretty much every driver in 'merica exclusively only uses Park on their auto box when they leave the vehicle. They don't use the "emergency brake" to the point it's seized up on many cars.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
No as it's a robotised manual so you should just leave it in gear or you get a warning.
Yes by all means leave it in gear , but , as long as it has no load against gears, if you have seen inside today's gearboxes you would understand wht

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix supreme
Our rapido has the gas locker under the drivers window and it is a tight squeeze to get fingers down the gap to push the button enough to release it

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
I have a rapido a class and could hardly use the handbrake as a narrow gap between handbrake and trim I fitted a handbrake extender best thing I ever did it's now perfect.
May I ask which extender you used and how you found fitting it? The reason is that I have a 896f and am looking at an extender but struggle to see how it would be fittable given the ridiculously small gap between the edge of the handbrake and the plastic "shell" on bodywork on the right hand side. Cheers.

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
I bought it from a funster years ago, they are easy enough to fit, I bent the handbrake lever towards the middle of the van before fitting the extension to give it a bit more knuckle room also you don't have to bend down as much to release the brake.

Upvote 0
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
I am glad to hear that I am not the only one to have had problems. Back a few years ago I pulled into a parking spot down near Cape St Vincent in Portugal, the parking was on a bit of a slope with just a small wall before a sheer drop off the cliff of about 150 ft.
I pulled on the handbrake and as usual put it into first gear and slid out, the handbrake went straight up the leg of my shorts and I was literally hanging there.
For what seemed ages but in fact was seconds I hung there hoping my handbrake would hold then suddenly my shorts split and I fell out, the handbrake had bent quite a bit but I managed to pull it back into reasonable shape.

I honestly thought for a time that I was going over the cliff.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 1

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back