Handbrake too close to "door" trim. (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
I have a RHD Fiat Ducato based MH (Fleurette Wincenser), 2020 model, and my handbrake is so close to the side trim that it genuinely hurts my knuckles to use it.

I'll get a picture of it tomorrow, but is this something anyone else has suffered from? Can't find any mention of it here, so I'm guessing I might have something wrong with mine. I only know one other person with this MH (daveclare ) and he says his is fine.

The problem is there's a curved bit of trim designed, I imagine, to give a human hand space to operate the brake, but it's so tight you'd have to be a "certain ex-president" to get your hands in there comfortably.

("door" is in quotes because there is no actual door there, but in any other type of vehicle there probably would have been).

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Don't leave in P only when parked on hills (or your ramps) it puts unnecessary strain on the gearbox
Glad somebody said that - I was always taught to leave the gearbox in neutral when parked so if somebody whacks into you at least the cogs in the gearbox won't get stripped. Handbrakes being generally cheaper to fix than gearboxes.
Maybe things have changed, but suppose we're talking about my classic neo-vintage vehicle...

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Don't leave in P only when parked on hills (or your ramps) it puts unnecessary strain on the gearbox

Glad somebody said that - I was always taught to leave the gearbox in neutral when parked so if somebody whacks into you at least the cogs in the gearbox won't get stripped. Handbrakes being generally cheaper to fix than gearboxes.
Maybe things have changed, but suppose we're talking about my classic neo-vintage vehicle...

Going to have to hope you are both wrong or I have just been lucky

40 years driving auto cars, until electric hand brakes came along I very rarely used my hand brake

Can’t see me breaking that habit now 🤔👍

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989

40 years driving auto cars, until electric hand brakes came along I very rarely used my hand brake

Wow, do you live somewhere like Norfolk or Lincolnshire?

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Wow, do you live somewhere like Norfolk or Lincolnshire?

Derbyshire 🤣

I will have a look into possible negative effects of relying on P alone when parked, but never crossed my mind to use the hand brake

Even with my E&P deployed I only pull the hand brake on one notch to allow them to work 🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
But that's what P is for on an auto box PARK, on the conformatic you get a loud beeping noise if you leave it in N and on our VW you get a warning on the dash and a beeping noise if you open the door and its not in P.

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Derbyshire 🤣

I will have a look into possible negative effects of relying on P alone when parked, but never crossed my mind to use the hand brake

Even with my E&P deployed I only pull the hand brake on one notch to allow them to work 🤔
''E&P'' ???

Something the young people say?

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
But that's what P is for on an auto box PARK, on the conformatic you get a loud beeping noise if you leave it in N and on our VW you get a warning on the dash and a beeping noise if you open the door and its not in P.
I got the 'P for Park' thing long ago but presumed it was some sort of 'resting' position that effectively disengaged everything in the gearbox, a bit like pulling out the 3 pin plug instead of just turning off the switch, not an alternative to the handbrake.
So was that wrong?

The Comfortmatic beeping drives me crazy, had the vehicle a year now & still can't get in the habit of whatever is required to prevent it..

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

Me neither. The P locking pawl in an autobox is designed to slip at very high load to prevent damage (for example by engagement while in motion). It holds my 5.4 tonne vehicle on a 1:4 slope with no problems although I'd use the handbrake as well in those circumstances.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I got the 'P for Park' thing long ago but presumed it was some sort of 'resting' position that effectively disengaged everything in the gearbox, a bit like pulling out the 3 pin plug instead of just turning off the switch, not an alternative to the handbrake.
So was that wrong?

The Comfortmatic beeping drives me crazy, had the vehicle a year now & still can't get in the habit of whatever is required to prevent it..
P doesn't disengage any thing. It pushes a steel pawl into a special gear to lock the transmission,

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I presume you have a manual gearbox? If it’s an auto just stick it in park and ignore handbrake 👍 if it’s manual , hope you find a simple fix
Except that the 'Comfortmatic' gearbox used on many motorhomes, doesn't have a 'Park' option.
(I see others have joined in on this!)

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Except that the 'Comfortmatic' gearbox used on many motorhomes, doesn't have a 'Park' option.
(I see others have joined in on this!)
When in doubt RTFM

Attachments

• 222128980_115(1).pdf
    254 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
When in doubt RTFM
Thank you, it's handy to have the FM on the A32 but my challenge isn't knowing it's habituating, epecially when the habit required is dfferent from the one I spent 50 yrs practicing!
Maybe I'll go back to the 207D.

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Me neither. The P locking pawl in an autobox is designed to slip at very high load to prevent damage (for example by engagement while in motion). It holds my 5.4 tonne vehicle on a 1:4 slope with no problems although I'd use the handbrake as well in those circumstances.
That kind of make sense, but I think I'd struggle to not use the handbrake on a 1:1 slope!! 😁

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2023
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Burstner City Car
Exp
Hired for holidays a couple of times and bought in 2024
I have seen the hand brake lever be bent by it being caught in clothing as you exit the door and drop down to the ground.
Obviously you don’t have the exit door but that’s not to say it wasn’t bent before the body was fitted.
They can be straightened with a large adjustable spanner and plenty of grunting! Just don’t ask how I know!
I’ve just done this very thing - caught my shorts on hand brake on leaving vehicle and have bent the hand brake lever.
Is there any advice you could offer on straightening it ? I have my adjustable spanner to hand and ready to grunt !!

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
I’ve just done this very thing - caught my shorts on hand brake on leaving vehicle and have bent the hand brake lever.
Is there any advice you could offer on straightening it ? I have my adjustable spanner to hand and ready to grunt !!
Take the cover off and you will see how it is mounted, big adjustable on the bracket and push up, if possible pull handbrake fully up and get second person to push on that as added grunt.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
My RHD Geist A-class has a left cab door. But there's plenty of room for the handbrake as there's a large recess under the dashboard extension/drivers arm rest. Probably more room than my old panel van. It is bit of a detritus trap though. Dropped my keys down there once and it took several minutes to fish them out!

The handbrake recess is a thoughtful design touch. Pity they didn't move the mirror controls from the left door, or give the driver any way of raising the powered window on the left side.

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Coach build low profile
Exp
Since 2012
I presume you have a manual gearbox? If it’s an auto just stick it in park and ignore handbrake 👍 if it’s manual , hope you find a simple fix
You should always use the handbrake first when parking then put the vehicle in to park. When in park it engages a locking pin to lock the gearbox which will put strain on the box if used without the handbrake, if the pin breaks, the vehicle can roll freely. Not sure if this applies to a comfortmatic box.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
You should always use the handbrake first when parking then put the vehicle in to park. When in park it engages a locking pin to lock the gearbox which will put strain on the box if used without the handbrake, if the pin breaks, the vehicle can roll freely. Not sure if this applies to a comfortmatic box.
Pretty much every driver in 'merica exclusively only uses Park on their auto box when they leave the vehicle. They don't use the "emergency brake" to the point it's seized up on many cars.

Upvote 0
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
My Jaguar will automatically put itself in P if I don't. It will also put the handbrake on if I were to forget.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Not sure about this , been driving autos for years never bothered with hand brake except a couple of Audis with electric hand brakes that self activate in P

I have though stuck mostly to proper autos in Mercs mainly , might be different for the comfortmatic type 🤔

Upvote 0

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Hook your shorts on lever and clamber back in at speed :X3:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back