LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Didn’t see anything on here so hopefully no one caught out by this. Saw some videos today from a colleague who was caught up in the hail last night, she managed to get her car under cover in time (just) but said there had been a lot of damage across the North of Italy. On my return back from the meeting i saw 5 campers that had been very badly damaged, one had every skylight taken out and one with all side windows gone, 2 cars as well with serious damage after speaking to the recovery driver taking them back to Belgium.

Seems some of the hail was more like blocks of ice😳 really big stuff. As the weather has now broken hopefully the hail was a one off.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Have seen the videos. Some of it is astonishing. Straight through plastic picnic tables windows PVC cladding cars wrecked.
Daughter had photos sent of damage to campsite she is going to in a fortnight. Her but is wooden so only windows to replace

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Didn’t see anything on here so hopefully no one caught out by this. Saw some videos today from a colleague who was caught up in the hail last night, she managed to get her car under cover in time (just) but said there had been a lot of damage across the North of Italy. On my return back from the meeting i saw 5 campers that had been very badly damaged, one had every skylight taken out and one with all side windows gone, 2 cars as well with serious damage after speaking to the recovery driver taking them back to Belgium.

Seems some of the hail was more like blocks of ice😳 really big stuff. As the weather has now broken hopefully the hail was a one off.
These fell last week in Mantova,Italy.
IMG_6103.jpeg

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Jesus! They could kill.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I decided not to take any pictures of the 2 Dutch vans that came into the services with tarpaulins over the roofs as i realised it was someone’s pride and joy and also a shortened holiday for the poor beggars. The guy i chatted to that his car badly damaged was having it towed back as he couldn’t get a replacement windscreen in time and needed to get back, both windscreens were gone and his bonnet was well, in need of replacement…

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
A couple or Morelo’s which were caught up in hail storm damage in Lake Garda, this Empire Liner was only a few months old 🙈. It’s completely destroyed the glass sides and windows and so many dents it’s unbelievable 🤦‍♂️

IMG_9325.png
IMG_9326.png

And another Morelo:
IMG_9328.png

IMG_9329.png

David

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
A couple or Morelo’s which were caught up in hail storm damage in Lake Garda, this Empire Liner was only a few months old 🙈. It’s completely destroyed the glass sides and windows and so many dents it’s unbelievable 🤦‍♂️

View attachment 787296View attachment 787297
And another Morelo:
View attachment 787298

View attachment 787299

David
Amazing how much damage to the sides! Looks like its been machine gunned.

Wondrr what will happen to it? Too expensive to scrap, too much work to replace the side. Damaged repairable?

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Morelo have been inundated with cries for help with the amount of damaged Morelo’s with the recent hail storms in Italy. I would think insurance companies will write them off, would be far too much money to replace the sides I suspect.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
My guess would be fill and paint, if it was mine I might not be happy with that option but doubt that they would write off £500k van for a few dents.

I know on the thread that dpsuk999 got these pictures from there was a quote attributed to RL so that's the boss at Morelo and he said "don't worry we will make it lovely again" or something like that;) so that certainly suggested that they were used to repairing this type of damage.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Lead times for new units well may go out based on this ?

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Morelo have been inundated with cries for help with the amount of damaged Morelo’s with the recent hail storms in Italy. I would think insurance companies will write them off, would be far too much money to replace the sides I suspect.

Here for sure the ratio of write off vs repair is much higher than in the UK ie if a vehicle was worth 100k and the repair was 90k it would still be repaired. For the repairers this becomes a huge opportunity although in this case this is the manufacturer.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
They will likely be "At Fault" insurance claims though, so their premiums on a 500k machine are going to rocket!!

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
These fell last week in Mantova,Italy. View attachment 787246

Jesus! They could kill.

There was a post on FB of someone’s van getting blasted at Lake Garda. Broken skylights and side windows.

I decided not to take any pictures of the 2 Dutch vans that came into the services with tarpaulins over the roofs as i realised it was someone’s pride and joy and also a shortened holiday for the poor beggars. The guy i chatted to that his car badly damaged was having it towed back as he couldn’t get a replacement windscreen in time and needed to get back, both windscreens were gone and his bonnet was well, in need of replacement…

They will likely be "At Fault" insurance claims though, so their premiums on a 500k machine are going to rocket!!
I had two brand new cars smashed by slightly smaller hailstone in burgundy , 1992.

Both my separate insurance companies repaired both of them at high cost. I lost both my no claims but happy they coughed up.

My mate was stationed in Germany , just bought himself a lovely new BMW, similar to mine. His insurers said act of god and refused to pay. He was lucky in another sense that the damage was less severe.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Experienced something similar in the Dordogne in 2022, but anything with large flat surfaces like tuggers took the brunt of the damage. Truly frightening to experience. At one time this sort of damage was something only experienced in the tropics but maybe a regular new hazard for nearer home?

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
When our caravan was damaged by hail years ago in France the insurers paid for the top and side to be replaced.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Severe hail damage like this isn't uncommon. In the part of France where my relatives were living, many buildings and houses across a wide area needed to be re-roofed completely, because most of their terracotta roof tiles had been smashed to bits by very large hailstones during a storm. Scary for the inhabitants.

Converters might need to make their MH's more hail-resistant. Polyester external wall and roof finishes are claimed to get less damage by hailstones. I expect that even rooflights and side windows could be made more resistant or have protective covers added. Otherwise this will keep happening. Luckily it is still a comparatively rare weather event and most MHers are unlikely to experience such severe damage. Sad for those unlucky ones who were caught in this storm.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Were there any severe weather warnings for the area prior to the hail storm? Has anyone got any experience of moving in time just before a hail storm hit?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Severe hail damage like this isn't uncommon. In the part of France where my relatives were living, many buildings and houses across a wide area needed to be re-roofed completely, because most of their terracotta roof tiles had been smashed to bits by very large hailstones during a storm. Scary for the inhabitants.

Converters might need to make their MH's more hail-resistant. Polyester external wall and roof finishes are claimed to get less damage by hailstones. I expect that even rooflights and side windows could be made more resistant or have protective covers added. Otherwise this will keep happening. Luckily it is still a comparatively rare weather event and most MHers are unlikely to experience such severe damage. Sad for those unlucky ones who were caught in this storm.
at that sort of damage, solar panels might be a useful 'sacrificial lamb' .....

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
PVCs maybe more resilient to the worst damage e.g few flat surfaces and corrugated roof panel?
Car parked next to me was peppered with dents but I survived with just a few minor dents on the bonnet.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Were there any severe weather warnings for the area prior to the hail storm? Has anyone got any experience of moving in time just before a hail storm hit?

Having had a few here we never get any warning as it’s so localised. No chance to do anything about it and practically no where to move your van too expect at a gas station in case you happen t be right next to one.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Italy is where we suffered our worst hailstorm, but it was nothing like that, thank goodness.

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
About 20 years ago we were in Garda on a euro camp in a poorly put up tent . Hail like this hit twice on 2 consecutive nights . The camp site was a war zone and my brand new golf gti did actually look like a golf ball . Insurers tried not to pay out “act of god “ so our solicitors said the damage wasn’t from the act of god but from the debris flying around and they paid out ( but no car is the same with most panels replaced ) . Anyway , my wife and I covered our kids with our bodies in the tent and feared the worse but because the tent was badly put up and loose the hailstones simply slid down the sides . So that got me thinking … take a large lightweight and strong tarapaulin (even better a net so that wind doesnt catch it ) with you , put something on the roof to create a high point (camp chair maybe ) and peg the corners to the ground . Basicly tent the motorhome - obvs you’d need some warning but good luck getting under cover in the region ( petrol station maybe ) .

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
About 20 years ago we were in Garda on a euro camp in a poorly put up tent . Hail like this hit twice on 2 consecutive nights . The camp site was a war zone and my brand new golf gti did actually look like a golf ball . Insurers tried not to pay out “act of god “ so our solicitors said the damage wasn’t from the act of god but from the debris flying around and they paid out ( but no car is the same with most panels replaced ) . Anyway , my wife and I covered our kids with our bodies in the tent and feared the worse but because the tent was badly put up and loose the hailstones simply slid down the sides . So that got me thinking … take a large lightweight and strong tarapaulin (even better a net so that wind doesnt catch it ) with you , put something on the roof to create a high point (camp chair maybe ) and peg the corners to the ground . Basicly tent the motorhome - obvs you’d need some warning but good luck getting under cover in the region ( petrol station maybe ) .

I took this picture in France some time ago…😎

1690465213377.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back