Guys and gals I need your input. (99 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
I hope he includes your finders fee OR with your mechanical experience, you could become his agent?
You have to recoup some of your money somehow? 😄
That is not so stupid as it might sound. A single point of contact for anyone needing to get their poorly MH back home from Europe.
Especially a point of contact with MH knowledge and experience.
Just imagine the peace of mind something like that would give.
Obviously there are financials securities to consider, but not surmountable.

Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)
He's a happier bunny now. Nice lunch and home tomorrow 😊. We'll worry, or rather he will, about everything else when we get back. Why can't I get it into his head that 'Que sera, sera'.
Here we are last lunch in Carcassonne View attachment 954735

Last edited:
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There are only around 3000 paying members and of those only a few hundred are active members.
Plus Jim doesn't like having a fund on something like this.
But I will definitely put it to our bloke after we get our van back.
If there is any goer in this I would gladly put the details up, and again if anyone comes on broken down and leave it to them to sort it out, I certainly wouldn't be wanting anything out of it.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
There are only around 3000 paying members and of those only a few hundred are active members.
I didn’t realise paying membership was as low as that, I had assumed Jim was making a fortune. He deserves to it’s such a good resource.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Ten years ago it was about £500 for a car.
& the car transporters carry around 10 vehicles.whereas Mh usually need low loaders that might be a mix of tractors, MH or big vans.
I used to be able to hire refrigerated articulated trucks from here to UK for 3k euros 10 years back.
He's a happier bunny now. Nice lunch and home tomorrow 😊. We'll worry, or rather he will, about everything else when we get back. Why can't I get it into his head that 'Que sera, sera'.
You tell him Beryl.:giggle:Tell him ,look on the bright side if when he travels again & has a problem he now knows how to get the van back at a reasonable cost:laughing::doh:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
& the car transporters carry around 10 vehicles.whereas Mh usually need low loaders that might be a mix of tractors, MH or big vans.
I used to be able to hire refrigerated articulated trucks from here to UK for 3k euros 10 years back.

You tell him Beryl.:giggle:Tell him ,look on the bright side if when he travels again & has a problem he now knows how to get the van back at a reasonable cost:laughing::doh:
Without Julie and her french speaking I would have been completely at a loss, I can quite understand anyone getting stressed if they breakdown and can't use the language.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Where I park
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
Since 1977
Is the camper being fixed in France and then bought back.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
That is not so stupid as it might sound. A single point of contact for anyone needing to get their poorly MH back home from Europe.
I know I have made a complete cock up of my breakdown I don't expect anyone to take any notice of me but in future I think I really could help anyone wanting to get back.this is a copy of my email.

Renault Master / Carcasonne, France to Uttoxeter

Thank you for your enquiry, we can certainly do the transportation for you.

Can you please confirm the collection date ? Cost will be £1850.00 for door to door collection and delivery. Please let us know at your earliest convenience if you would like to go ahead.

With kind regards,

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Suffice to say lv have done everything they say they will, decisions along the way have gone haywire.
I know I have made a complete cock up of my breakdown I don't expect anyone to take any notice of me but in future I think I really could help anyone wanting to get back.this is a copy of my email.

Can you please confirm the collection date ? Cost will be £1850.00 for door to door collection and delivery. Please let us know at your earliest convenience if you would like to go ahead.

With kind regards,
Please stop beating yourself up Charlie. You've made the right decision at the time when under pressure.

We are all interested as there's been so many horror stories - all information (good or bad)helps us should, god forbid, we end up in a similar situation.

Safe travels home.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
On Time logistics used to have a couple of car transporters working throughout France in the season picking up broken down cars and motorhomes..Ten years ago it was about £500 for a car.Dont know if they still do this service..BUSBY
On Time still operate Vehicle recovery according to Google and they recover from all over Scheggen..BUSBY

With kind regards,
It's so difficult now contacting any business..they don't answer telephones..I sold a fiamma caravanstore awning last month..really struggled to find someone to deliver it..Was quoted on line from £250 down to £60...3mtrs long..20cm x 20 cm..18 kgs..In the end opened an account on line with FedEx..Collected next day..delivered to Surrey next afternoon..£17.50...Never spoke to anyone..They took payment a week later from my bank card..Just weird having no human contact. BUSBY..

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016

With kind regards,
So this is basically to save you going back to pick it up once it's fixed?

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Without Julie and her french speaking I would have been completely at a loss, I can quite understand anyone getting stressed if they breakdown and can't use the language.
And for anyone that has a dog, that adds a further complication.
Thank you for keeping us informed and hopefully you will get your van back soon and feel confident enough to return at a later date.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Am up for it. We have had adblue issues and also leaking coolant issues.
On ferry back home after 2 weeks of a 4 week holiday. It’s been extremely frustrating. But such a relief to get onto the ferry
So any central advice / contact system from and for the members would alleviate some of that stress.

I really feel for you Chas. 🙏🙏🙏

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
So this is basically to save you going back to pick it up once it's fixed?
Yes mate the things that have happened are just to long to tell on a phone wya broken screen .
But the top and bottom of it is , as we weren't due back till three weeks away lv wouldn't repatatre it if it could be mended here in that time so it was took to a garage, so in the meantime they arranged this flight home which seemed good at the time, so now I have just got fed up of the whole job and just left it all as it is and would dread coming back to get it.
Which looking at it the £1850 won't be a lot more than fetching it ourselves.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
On Time logistics used to have a couple of car transporters working throughout France in the season picking up broken down cars and motorhomes..Ten years ago it was about £500 for a car.Dont know if they still do this service..BUSBY

Many years ago in my Continental Trucking days, when I was very busy, I used to be able to hire extra tautliner tailors, stay, working out of Zeebrugge, doing the foreign end of the work, put the loaded trailor's on the ferry UNOCCUPIED and hire another company in the UK to deliver them from Dover.
I wonder if something like that is possible with a low-loaders?
I can see no reason why not? 🤔

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
....Cost will be £1850.00 for door to door collection and delivery...
That's a good price Charlie. (y)

I paid £1,950 + vat = Total £2,340 to get our van back from Alicante to Bristol during the pandemic in 2020.

IMG_20200615_130632-2.jpg

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Plus Jim doesn't like having a fund on something like this.
But I will definitely put it to our bloke after we get our van back.
If there is any goer in this I would gladly put the details up, and again if anyone comes on broken down and leave it to them to sort it out, I certainly wouldn't be wanting anything out of it.
If Jim doesn't want to get involved, I can see no reason why he has to be as long as he doesn't mind the membership being involved?
All it needs is someone being Treasurer for a small fee.

I have travelled the world and been paid to do it because it was work. As I said earlier, if I was younger, travelling all over Europe with all reasonable expenses paid, sounds just the job for me but sadly, I'm too old BUT, if I was recently retired, it sounds a great way to meet thankful fellow Funsters and more of Europe. Just the job for someone like Northernraider perhaps? 😄

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
That does sound very reasonable as I expect the out and return ferry fare will be quite a few quid.
Out of interest do any of our trucker posters know how much the ferry might be?
I have just priced up a 15m artic with driver, one way Dover Calais with P&O and it appears to be about £300?
That appears to me slightly on the cheap side but it is a Freight booking using my old business email address, so probably a time (very early hours) when they are slack?

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I just can't believe these people who were saying anything upto 10 grand.
Yes I've always wondered about that & whether they just stripe up the insurance/recovery companies?
And for anyone that has a dog, that adds a further complication.
You will be pleased to know that a dog in France is not a problem if you break down.
That was my first thought standing on the side of the road in Poitiers with the dog & I both wearing our hi viz in 34º heat. Fortunately I came on here & many put my mind at rest in that basically you cannot be refused anywhere with a dog.Hotel rooms, restaurants,taxi's etc. It was a great relief to me to know that & also why I elected for a hire car to get back to spain as plane or train i would have been stuck in spain as on train dogs normally not allowed nor are they on buses in many regions yet under 10kgs they can fly in the cabin?🤷‍♂️
put the loaded trailor's on the ferry UNOCCUPIED and hire another company in the UK to deliver them from Dover.
It is still done as I was watching them at both Dunkirk & Dover this summer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back