Guys and gals I need your input. (19 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Another update, apparently the garage that has got the van has just emailed that the van will be between 4 and 5 thousand including a new clutch.
Told them to get on with it. (y)
4-5k - is that £ sterling or Euro?

I know it's a lot whichever, but obviously marginally better if Euro.

Hope they can get you sorted. In the meantime enjoy your time at the coast.

Glad LV are looking after you. 👍

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
4-5k - is that £ sterling or Euro?

I know it's a lot whichever, but obviously marginally better if Euro.

Hope they can get you sorted. In the meantime enjoy your time at the coast.

Glad LV are looking after you. 👍
Now a better one Julie just said the gearbox should be between 2 and 4 thou ,euros couldn't take it home and do it for the money.
Do you know we haven't actually spent anything yet apart from meals out and stuff, hotel, taxis , car hire and they even say there may be enough over to make a contribution to the hotel but we have to have a paper receipt which at the moment hasn't been forth coming.
But I doubt the car hire place will sting me now.
Before this with all the horror stories we have on here about breakdown companies I just wouldn't have believed the treatment we have had but I suppose as someone said earlier it could be the attitude you take with them, apart from this car hire we haven't asked for anything they havnt offered and Julie talking french is a godsend.

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Again if you are near the van check the linkage. If it’s popped off or retaining clip broken the garage are unlikely to tell you unfortunately but if it was you can wire them on and complete your holiday

Now a better one Julie just said the gearbox should be between 2 and 4 thou ,euros couldn't take it home and do it for the money.
Do you know we haven't actually spent anything yet apart from meals out and stuff, hotel, taxis , car hire and they even say there may be enough over to make a contribution to the hotel but we have to have a paper receipt which at the moment hasn't been forth coming.
But I doubt the car hire place will sting me now.
Before this with all the horror stories we have on here about breakdown companies I just wouldn't have believed the treatment we have had but I suppose as someone said earlier it could be the attitude you take with them, apart from this car hire we haven't asked for anything they havnt offered and Julie talking french is a godsend.
Right decision to just get it done good luck with the rest of your holiday

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
Car spare wheels spoil the the figures for boot space and are now largely history.
Absolutely right but they are very useful if you are miles from nowhere, a long way from home, at night, probably at the weekend and get a puncture. I've put a full size spare in both my last cars (Passat and Sportsman) which have a well for it already. I think it is just to clip a few quid off the sale price. Unfortunately that big slab of alloy does attract condensation so the carpet in the well is sodden throughout winter.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Absolutely right but they are very useful if you are miles from nowhere, a long way from home, at night, probably at the weekend and get a puncture. I've put a full size spare in both my last cars (Passat and Sportsman) which have a well for it already. I think it is just to clip a few quid off the sale price. Unfortunately that big slab of alloy does attract condensation so the carpet in the well is sodden throughout winter.

Interesting remark about the condensation, are you sure that's where the dampness is coming from? 🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Expensive holiday but at least it's done. Is that a new box included? How long to get parts and fit.
Not the holiday though that's expensive just the van and gearboxes go all the time , when I worked on the vans we used to drive Renault's and you could guarantee everyone would go at 90 thousand well my van has done over 270 thousand so if it is on its third it was due anytime.
Even at 5 grand when you reckon it cost me 5 to build,it will still only stand at ten grand.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Glad your getting the van sorted, plus enjoying your hotel & LV experience thus far, I have heard from others that The AA are pretty good for EU breakdowns.(y)
Now don't laugh, but I had a hell over experience yesterday evening whilst doing the weekly shop. I locked myself out of our new Seat car in the supermarket car park, Having placed the bags in the boot, I closed it realising that I had left the lanyard with all my keys in the boot also.:doh: The car normally allows me to unlock the drivers door as I approach the car, even turns on all the welcoming lights. I now realise this doesn't happen when the keys are inside the vehicle.:banghead:
So, having borrowed a phone from the supermarket, I phoned The RAC, listened to the long speech about not being rude to their staff either on the phone or in attendance, then listened to all the options and pressed option 1 for being locked out the car. I was then told via the message that it was much quicker to report a breakdown using their website www.racbreakdownassist.co.uk or something similar. Well I didnt have a smartphone, I had a landline phone so that was not an option. A guy eventually answered the phone and asked for the car reg and location, then told me he was putting me through to recovery, the line went dead, so I had to phone again, and listen to all those options warnings about being rude etc. I hang on the line constantly being told I was in a queue, and how much easier it was to report my issue via the website that I had no access to!:banghead:
After 45 mins holding on having that god damn message repeated time and time again, I gave up!
I phoned a local taxi service to collect me take me home to fetch spare car key and return to supermarket, which I should have thought of in the first instance. So I returned to the car unlocked it and drove home £32 lighter.
I am now very scared to break down anywhere and have to rely on The RAC, as I would need a smartphone with me which I don't always carry, and would also need my reading glasses to see to type in the message anyhow. I just want a human being to answer the phone in a reasonable time and assure me that they will send someone to help, not make me wait in a long queue, start taking details then cut me off, leaving me stranded.
I am not impressed and will be telling them so, although I already knew they were crap for MH EU cover, and would not ever go near them with a barge poll.
The RAC cover is included with the Seat 2 Year warranty, so it will not be renewed when the time comes, but their service has really gone down hill to what it was, employ more staff to answer the bleedin phone, don't rely on a website chat bot to take the initial enquiry!
LES

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
£2 - 4K, whilst an expense you could well do without when on your hols/travels, at least you’ll have the van back gearbox sorted and new clutch to boot.

Sounds as though Juilie and you are being pragmatic about the whole affair and not letting things get to you both, even the hire car probs.

I appreciate it’s yours and Julie’s business, but, it would be nice and more importantly useful to understand the final outcome of your dealings with LV.

As you’ll be aware fellow Funsters are always looking for recommendations for travel insurance/breakdown cover.

Anyway enough said. Enjoy the rest of your break.

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
Interesting remark about the condensation, are you sure that's where the dampness is coming from? 🤔
Yes I am although I didn't believe it at first. I've tried to insulate it with a thick layer of cloth and it soaked that too. Incidentally it is more than dampness; there is actual water there.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes I am although I didn't believe it at first. I've tried to insulate it with a thick layer of cloth and it soaked that too. Incidentally it is more than dampness; there is actual water there.
I have an alloy spare wheel in the car been there 12 years from when I bought it new, always been bone dry.
Sounds more like water coming in through a body joint.

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
I have an alloy spare wheel in the car been there 12 years from when I bought it new, always been bone dry.
Sounds more like water coming in through a body joint.
I've not actually looked at it for months. Just checked and it is, as I expected for summer, bone dry. But then realised that I have always used a heavy, flexible, rubber-based boot-liner that I bought from Lidl to protect the boot carpet. I'm now wondering if that prevents the space from breathing and seals the condensation in? I will take it out for winter. I need to check after a period of wet weather too in case you are right.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I've not actually looked at it for months. Just checked and it is, as I expected for summer, bone dry. But then realised that I have always used a heavy, flexible, rubber-based boot-liner that I bought from Lidl to protect the boot carpet. I'm now wondering if that prevents the space from breathing and seals the condensation in? I will take it out for winter. I need to check after a period of wet weather too in case you are right.
You only get condensation if the air is damp to start with so the moisture must be getting in somewhere. The only time I got damp in a wheel well I found that it had a drainage hole and the bung had fallen out.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Sounds like it’s getting sorted Chas. Good luck with getting yourselves and the van home. 👍

Unfortunately these things happen and frustrating as it is not a lot we can do about it.

I’m in Germany now and the ad blue fault (not refill) and engine management light have come on. Not started any countdown yet but will turn around and head back towards the port. Will try to clear the fault with the code reader, but it’s only a cheap basic one.

However, the sun is out 🥳🥳🥳

May 30, 2017
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 694
Exp
Motorhoming since 2017
You only get condensation if the air is damp to start with so the moisture must be getting in somewhere. The only time I got damp in a wheel well I found that it had a drainage hole and the bung had fallen out.
I agree. Surprisingly, especially these days, every car I've ever owned has had a spare/space saver in the boot, I've always used boot liners as we have had dogs. The only time I've ever had damp in the boot was when a connector to the rear washer jet was leaking in one car.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
View from airbnb
PXL_20240918_082141070.jpg

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Never ever experienced that in my life.

My money is on a leak

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
Never ever experienced that in my life.

My money is on a leak
I absolutely understand your scepticism because I found it hard to believe too. I have looked for a leak without success, and had better do so again, but have also seen the interior of the wheel running with condensation. It is bone dry at the moment but we are visiting Cornwall next month which might throw-up an answer!

Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
Glad your getting the van sorted, plus enjoying your hotel & LV experience thus far, I have heard from others that The AA are pretty good for EU breakdowns.(y)
Now don't laugh, but I had a hell over experience yesterday evening whilst doing the weekly shop. I locked myself out of our new Seat car in the supermarket car park, Having placed the bags in the boot, I closed it realising that I had left the lanyard with all my keys in the boot also.:doh: The car normally allows me to unlock the drivers door as I approach the car, even turns on all the welcoming lights. I now realise this doesn't happen when the keys are inside the vehicle.:banghead:
So, having borrowed a phone from the supermarket, I phoned The RAC, listened to the long speech about not being rude to their staff either on the phone or in attendance, then listened to all the options and pressed option 1 for being locked out the car. I was then told via the message that it was much quicker to report a breakdown using their website www.racbreakdownassist.co.uk or something similar. Well I didnt have a smartphone, I had a landline phone so that was not an option. A guy eventually answered the phone and asked for the car reg and location, then told me he was putting me through to recovery, the line went dead, so I had to phone again, and listen to all those options warnings about being rude etc. I hang on the line constantly being told I was in a queue, and how much easier it was to report my issue via the website that I had no access to!:banghead:
After 45 mins holding on having that god damn message repeated time and time again, I gave up!
I phoned a local taxi service to collect me take me home to fetch spare car key and return to supermarket, which I should have thought of in the first instance. So I returned to the car unlocked it and drove home £32 lighter.
I am now very scared to break down anywhere and have to rely on The RAC, as I would need a smartphone with me which I don't always carry, and would also need my reading glasses to see to type in the message anyhow. I just want a human being to answer the phone in a reasonable time and assure me that they will send someone to help, not make me wait in a long queue, start taking details then cut me off, leaving me stranded.
I am not impressed and will be telling them so, although I already knew they were crap for MH EU cover, and would not ever go near them with a barge poll.
The RAC cover is included with the Seat 2 Year warranty, so it will not be renewed when the time comes, but their service has really gone down hill to what it was, employ more staff to answer the bleedin phone, don't rely on a website chat bot to take the initial enquiry!
LES
Yep. One makes a call because … errr … let me think now … Ah, got it. One wants to speak to someone. Daah? Not rocket science, one might think.
Nonetheless, these companies put you through their call menu ‘customer infuriator’ system which repeatedly gives you all their other contact options first before finally offering you an option to speak to a human. After this, you’re in a queue to speak to an agent. And, yes, I have often been cut off in such calls, sometimes immediately after being answered, and had to go through the whole procedure again. Grrrrrr.
(I wonder if some calls are ‘dropped’ deliberately so that the agent gets a tick in the box for ‘handling’ the call - which, obviously, they haven’t. However, I do feel much sympathy for call centre agents. I don’t know if things have changed in recent years but they used to be treated like sh1t and often had draconian working conditions imposed.)
I wish that the government would change the law to make these menu driven systems much more customer centric, as opposed to company centric. They may also want to look at the business model of companies who, rather than employ enough people to answer the phone lines, they put their customers through access hell. All in the name of a lust for ever increasing profits.
Apologies. Rant over. (Feel better now, though. 😆)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Ah, but is it a £4k view? I thought I remembered you saying on a previous breakdown post that as your van didn't owe you much you would just abandon it and cut your losses if it had a big failure?
Yes he did on the thread where the poster was in France and broke down, it cost the chap about 10-12 grand or so for a new engine/repairs , he said something along the lines of” Who has that kind of money lying around, certainly not me” then when it happens to him he’s throwing thousands around as if it chuffing confetti.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
Yes he did on the thread where the poster was in France and broke down, it cost the chap about 10-12 grand or so for a new engine/repairs , he said something along the lines of” Who has that kind of money lying around, certainly not me” then when it happens to him he’s throwing thousands around as if it chuffing confetti.

to be fair, theres a big difference between 10-12 thousand and 2-4 thousand..

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
to be fair, theres a big difference between 10-12 thousand and 2-4 thousand..

Yes I know but on that thread he said he didn’t have 2 ha penneth to rub together, I’m glad he’s got some spare brass now, a few of us were telling him to flog a tractor or 2 or even flog that farm and release a million or so. Who wants to skint whilst your sat on a fortune

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ah, but is it a £4k view? I thought I remembered you saying on a previous breakdown post that as your van didn't owe you much you would just abandon it and cut your losses if it had a big failure?

Mate, that is coming to mind, we have so many options now it's getting rediculas, no fault of lv, but the garage have now come up with a month's wait , do we wait with it, get it sent home, scrap it or what?
They have said it might not be worth enough for repatriation.
The hire car has disappeared, again no fault of lv, hertz just come and loaded it up with it's flat and we haven't had it back so the hire is up tomorrow and no idea where it is , only used it for an hour but have found out we can get back to Carcassonne on a bus for £20.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Mate, that is coming to mind, we have so many options now it's getting rediculas, no fault of lv, but the garage have now come up with a month's wait , do we wait with it, get it sent home, scrap it or what?
They have said it might not be worth enough for repatriation.
The hire car has disappeared, again no fault of lv, hertz just come and loaded it up with it's flat and we haven't had it back so the hire is up tomorrow and no idea where it is , only used it for an hour but have found out we can get back to Carcassonne on a bus for £20.
Could you not get someone to bring a gearbox from home as hand luggage on one of the cheap flights? 😁

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back