Guys and gals I need your input. (11 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
chaser Enjoy the sun and the beer 👍

Are you updating this thread with news or the guess where we are thread ?
Just need to know so I don't miss anything. :rofl:
Well I suppose it's this one ;) the van has now been moved to a garage so we have been and got all the stuff out we need but the guy with the breakdown lorry says this place sends them all back to England, so hopefully that's what we shall do, how we get back I have no idea but there is a Ryanair flight direct to east midlands.👍

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Repatriation is the lesser of two evils I guess as the insurance should cover the cost of repatriating the m/h and yourselves and it could cost a heck of a lot more to get it fixed over there as they would likely want to replace the 'box. I get the impression that you have contacts here who would probably repair it for a lot less. Even so, it's a real shame as I think it has been a very reliable m/h for you for quite a long time. Good luck.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Well I suppose it's this one ;) the van has now been moved to a garage so we have been and got all the stuff out we need but the guy with the breakdown lorry says this place sends them all back to England, so hopefully that's what we shall do, how we get back I have no idea but there is a Ryanair flight direct to east midlands.👍
Charlie, if you've got time to kill in Carcassonne do try to visit the medieval citadel. We thought it well worth seeing when we were stranded in the town, even if it's slightly touristy in parts. Not far to go by cab.

Fingers crossed things work out with the van, but in the meantime make the most of where you are. We certainly did and it added a real extra dimension to our holiday. I had the added embarrassment of having to ring work and tell them I wouldn't be back in the office for a good few extra days too. :giggle: (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Charlie, if you've got time to kill in Carcassonne do try to visit the medieval citadel. We thought it well worth seeing when we were stranded in the town, even if it's slightly touristy in parts. Not far to go by cab.

Fingers crossed things work out with the van, but in the meantime make the most of where you are. We certainly did and it added a real extra dimension to our holiday. I had the added embarrassment of having to ring work and tell them I wouldn't be back in the office for a good few extra days too. :giggle: (y)
We have done the citadel been a walk along the midi, been to the Saturday market, into the city centre, we are all carcassonned out now.
Right tomorrow we are going to see just what else we can get from this breakdown insurance, honestly can't fault it at the moment, we have well had our £150 worth. But we are stuck now so going to try for a hire car for a week and book our own hotel somewhere by the sea while they decide what they are going to do with the van, hoping it goes home now after what I have read on here.
We can get a Ryanair home next week for £40 a piece.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Charlie chaser I have just remembered. If they insist that it has to be repaired there then use this company which is just up the road for a rebuilt gearbox.
https://eden-boites.com/blog/es/bou...2-5-dci&filter_type-boite=manuelle-5-vitesses

Eden Boites; They are outside Cannes & supply to trade as well as private.
I just guessed your was a 2,5 Master & 5 speed.

I used them for a gearbox for my van delivered here to me in spain about 3 years ago. Guaranteed & with no quibble as I had to return the first one due to a diff whine.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I’ve changed a transit box and clutch in a morning ,lying on my back that would have been early 70s so I was a lot younger.
We've all done that in the 70's, some of us laying in snow on Christmas Eve night.

These days, wouldn't even consider laying in snow for 4hrs! 😆

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Don’t underestimate French worker productivity, they are still about 20% ahead of the UK. I once watched a couple of them antifouling a large boat in a dry dock. I thought they would take weeks because they seemed to have such long breaks. I was amazed when 3 days later the job was completed properly. Between breaks they worked really effectively.
If you start with an attitude, thinking they are lazy and expensive, they might well act that way, just as the Brits would do if the roles were reversed.

I rarely have a problem with them but it helps if you try and speak a little bit of French even if your not very good at it, and always agree with them, unless it's VERY important, don't argue! 😄

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Normally breakdown insurance will supply a hire car which you will have to swap to a UK registered one at Calais then you drop it off at a local dept near your home.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Again if you are near the van check the linkage. If it’s popped off or retaining clip broken the garage are unlikely to tell you unfortunately but if it was you can wire them on and complete your holiday

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
If you start with an attitude, thinking they are lazy and expensive, they might well act that way, just as the Brits would do if the roles were reversed.

I rarely have a problem with them but it helps if you try and speak a little bit of French even if your not very good at it, and always agree with them, unless it's VERY important, don't argue! 😄
This is spot-on. We've owned a house here since '89 and lived permanently for 18+ years. Observe the normal traditions of always starting with "bonjour" and a handshake (with garargistes they often offer an elbow) and show respect. They are just like us really and don't do subservience. Also research the vocab for car parts. They will not have an inkling what a grommet is!

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well I am telling this as it is even though it makes me look like an idiot.
This morning Julie rang the insurance place and they said yes we could have a hire car on them so booked a Airbnb in canet , hour later taxi rolls up takes us to hertz at the airport to pick up a nearly brand new car all paid for .
We get here , what did I do but run into a kerb and burst the tyre.
So a breakdown lorry has now taken that away. No idea if we will ever see it again.
This expedition just swings from bad to better back to worse , dread to think what will happen next but hey we are sitting beside the sea having a beer and supposed to be here for a week.
I'll see what else I can break.
But I have got to say this lv breakdown is absolutely superb.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well I am telling this as it is even though it makes me look like an idiot.
This morning Julie rang the insurance place and they said yes we could have a hire car on them so booked a Airbnb in canet , hour later taxi rolls up takes us to hertz at the airport to pick up a nearly brand new car all paid for .
We get here , what did I do but run into a kerb and burst the tyre.
So a breakdown lorry has now taken that away. No idea if we will ever see it again.
This expedition just swings from bad to better back to worse , dread to think what will happen next but hey we are sitting beside the sea having a beer and supposed to be here for a week.
I'll see what else I can break.
But I have got to say this lv breakdown is absolutely superb.
Another update, apparently the garage that has got the van has just emailed that the van will be between 4 and 5 thousand including a new clutch.
Told them to get on with it. (y)

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Another update, apparently the garage that has got the van has just emailed that the van will be between 4 and 5 thousand including a new clutch.
Told them to get on with it. (y)
Expensive holiday but at least it's done. Is that a new box included? How long to get parts and fit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back