Guys and gals I need your input. (9 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
When we broke down in Germany we stayed in it till we got to the garage but obviously couldn’t stay in it on the ramp so had to stay in a hotel four four nights. I gave the Garage my cable and asked them to plug it in which they did and all our food kept fine. If you have to be repatriated that obviously can’t happen but you will get a car so can unload your stuff. I hope LV are better at keeping you updated than the AA who have just paid us compensation for getting is so wrong.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Don't know, I would think a new box but there are hundreds of reconditioned ones on the internet but how good they are we don't know but another thing is,do they even still make new ones?
As long as you can get a replacement of some sort you should be able to continue. I did wonder if new boxes might be available.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry to hear about your gearbox woes Charlie. Hope some positive progress can be made tomorrow - in whichever direction things go.

As an aside, we got stranded in Carcassonne for some days years ago. But in our case, it was an air traffic control strike which caused cancellation of the flight. Oh and just to let you know, I believe there are cheap Ryanair flights from Carcassonne to UK (East Midlands, Manchester, Stansted & Bournemouth), in case that's an option for getting home.

Good luck for the best outcome. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
When I was broken down in Carcassonne, the AA had a garage come and look, took it in, sent the van home to UK,, gave us a hire car and gave me £1000 for hotel bills. Told me to go and enjoy the holiday. So we did!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
I m not a lot of help but just to add to Carcassonne, the FiL broke down there some years ago

Perhaps it ought to be renamed Carsgowrong

Daughter got repatriated last week from Holland when her ancient vw broke on the way. AA took vw to campsite then had holiday and they came back via eurostar and the van arrived a week later.

Best of luck this morning

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well rang them , apparently they are looking for a garage that can do it the quickest.
When they get it there they are going to send ataxi to pick us up to see what's
happening.
They are already on about getting us an hire car to get home and leave the van and fare to come back but surely staying in this hotel till it's done would be cheaper.
Don't know, we shall see.
Just letting them get on with it at the moment.
Going down for breakfast now, oh they have paid for another night now.
I know a gearbox sounds a big job but it's not that technical on manual, a day to get it off a day to put one back, how long can it take even in France.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Well rang them , apparently they are looking for a garage that can do it the quickest.
When they get it there they are going to send ataxi to pick us up to see what's
happening.
They are already on about getting us an hire car to get home and leave the van and fare to come back but surely staying in this hotel till it's done would be cheaper.
Don't know, we shall see.
Just letting them get on with it at the moment.
Going down for breakfast now, oh they have paid for another night now.
I know a gearbox sounds a big job but it's not that technical on manual, a day to get it off a day to put one back, how long can it take even in France.
Don’t underestimate French worker productivity, they are still about 20% ahead of the UK. I once watched a couple of them antifouling a large boat in a dry dock. I thought they would take weeks because they seemed to have such long breaks. I was amazed when 3 days later the job was completed properly. Between breaks they worked really effectively.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
French labour cost can be high but I would have thought only 4/5 hours to change the box and being a Renault should be easy for parts in France.
If they are going to change the box worth getting the clutch done as well.

Good luck Charlie.
Yes but I was giving them the benefit of the doubt, not actually done one of these but I'm sure the lads at home would have it off and on in day.

Feb 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
carado
Exp
Don’t underestimate French worker productivity, they are still about 20% ahead of the UK. I once watched a couple of them antifouling a large boat in a dry dock. I thought they would take weeks because they seemed to have such long breaks. I was amazed when 3 days later the job was completed properly. Between breaks they worked really effectively.
Good job it was not during the 5 day crazy French public holiday earlier in May this year!

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Just to give you an idea i have just asked Renault what the cost of a new Renault Master gearbox and clutch for a 2017 van
Gearbox £6,000 ( six thousand Pounds)
Dual mass flywheel £1,100
Clutch kit £600
That is only parts no labour included
I am waiting for a call about labour
I asked so to give you an cost to compare

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Just to give you an idea i have just asked Renault what the cost of a new Renault Master gearbox and clutch for a 2017 van
Clutch kit £600
I think OP will be in the bar all day with that info...😉

Cheers🍻

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Idea if stuck. B&B group Hotels are in most places.?. Clean and reasonably priced. Used them when flitting up and down in the car. Reading about the costs involved,try some local haulier,see if they/know someone who can get it piggy backed back home ? Mate come over with a draw bar and double head it home.? Best of luck.
Tea Bag

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Clutch kit £600
Ours is 2008 mk 2 don't know whether that makes it dearer or cheaper

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years

Cheers🍻
Just looked at a photo of his van I think it’s older like 2008 there may be a price difference on the parts as I was quoted 2017
just got a parts price for your reg
Everything was £6000
And you do not have a dual mass flywheel according to Renault and a new flywheel is only £260

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years

Cheers🍻
Just looked at a photo of his van I think it’s older like 2008 there may be a price difference on the parts as I was quoted 2017
Those prices were plus vat forgot to put that in my last post

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
chaser Enjoy the sun and the beer 👍

Are you updating this thread with news or the guess where we are thread ?
Just need to know so I don't miss anything. :rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back