Guys and gals I need your input. (38 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As you are probably aware from my other thread we are here in Carcassonne with a van with a broken gearbox .
Lv breakdown insurance have been brilliant,got us off the motorway and van into a compound and is into a hotel for three nights so no worries and we have been in town all day.
Now the problem is going to arise on Monday , apparently the van is being taken to a garage to be looked at to see what can be done but the question is for people who have been there, what happens to us?
Do we have to find out hotel from then?
If the van is sent home (preferably as we can mend it at home) how do we get home?
If the garage says they can mend it where do we stay?
It's all up in the air till Monday but wondered what other people have done in the same fix and what is the best way of going at it

Thanks in advance.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
As you are probably aware from my other thread we are here in Carcassonne with a van with a broken gearbox .
Lv breakdown insurance have been brilliant,got us off the motorway and van into a compound and is into a hotel for three nights so no worries and we have been in town all day.
Now the problem is going to arise on Monday , apparently the van is being taken to a garage to be looked at to see what can be done but the question is for people who have been there, what happens to us?
Do we have to find out hotel from then?
If the van is sent home (preferably as we can mend it at home) how do we get home?
If the garage says they can mend it where do we stay?
It's all up in the air till Monday but wondered what other people have done in the same fix and what is the best way of going at it

Thanks in advance.

Haven’t seen your thread detailing this…

You need to work out a plan after the determination WRT fixing or not on Monday!

TBH, I would be stopping with the Motorhome in almost all scenarios and not be in a hotel.

Good luck with it all! ✔️

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I've no idea I'm afraid, thankfully I've never broken down, touch wood.
I always wonder what people do when they break down about personal possessions in the motorhome, and do you leave the gas and fridge on, or bin the contents before recovery ?

I hope you get a simple and easy outcome and can continue with your holiday 👍

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
I would be inclined to wait till Monday and see what the options are. My choice would be a local repair to be able to continue the journey, however, I have not been in that situation and it's always very easy to comment from outside. What might influence the decision is the cost, but either way I imagine you will have to pay for the repair, so if it's local and you can carry on and enjoy the trip, it must be the better of two evils. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck either way.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If LV put you in a hotel then I think they will pay for you to stay there until a decision is made about the vehicle but really only a call to LV can get a definitive answer. If the vehicle is repatriated I believe you will travel with it in the recovery vehicle. This may involve more than one vehicle, each taking you part of the way then handing you over to another vehicle.

If the vehicle can be repaired then the cost will be down to you of course (I assume) but again only LV can tell you what the criteria are for deciding between repatriation and repair.

We are in a similar situation but hopefully we might just need a new alternator, which is very different to a new gearbox.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 10, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer B578
Exp
Just starting out
Do LV have a helpline that can advise you?
I take it that the garage is now shut for the weekend and the storage is shut too or you would be staying in van. Maybe just hang fire until Monday, Ring LV then and assess things when you know a little more. Might be an easy job to fix and away you go again.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If LV put you in a hotel then I think they will pay for you to stay there until a decision is made about the vehicle but really only a call to LV can get a definitive answer. If the vehicle is repatriated I believe you will travel with it in the recovery vehicle. This may involve more than one vehicle, each taking you part of the way then handing you over to another vehicle.

If the vehicle can be repaired then the cost will be down to you of course (I assume) but again only LV can tell you what the criteria are for deciding between repatriation and repair.

We are in a similar situation but hopefully we might just need a new alternator, which is very different to a new gearbox.
Hi , I didn't know you had problems, how are you getting on, I read you had replaced some electrical gubbins but thought that had fixed your problem.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
From what I can gather if the garage can't fix it before you are due to go home, they take you home but a problem we may have, we have another fortnight yet so that gives them time to do it, I would rather have it at home as it is.
If you tell them you have a replacement gearbox at home, that might swing it depending on lead time at the garage🤷‍♂️
Good luck with whatever hand you’re dealt with🤞🤞

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
and do you leave the gas and fridge on,
No
bin the contents before recovery ?
Yes ,if you cannot take/eat them
Plus all documents have to be left with the vehicle for te recovery driver.V5 Mot etc.
I always wonder what people do when they break down about personal possessions in the motorhome
those I could not put in the hire car had to be left with the van.
If the vehicle is repatriated I believe you will travel with it in the recovery vehicle.
No not in europe ,
It willbe in the LV policy what happens but recovery will be using a low loader that has other equipment on it . other motorhome or tractors for delivery or new vans etc.

Chas you need to know what LV policy provides. Mine is spanish but provides recovery to home if under halfway to destination. If over half way recovery of vehicle to home & car hire for onward travels. So many nights hotel etc ,taxis.
I'd assume if they recover it they'd provide a hire car to get you to the ferry port.Doubtful you can take across .have to collect another possibly in UHere are some pointers
https://www.lv.com/breakdown-cover/european-breakdown-cover

To be recovered to the uk it needs to be "unfixable by your return journey date" so your 'return 'date needs to be asap if you want to have it back to the UK

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
From my reading several similar threads on here ie. Van broken down, taken to a french garage. With humble apologies to those who may have had a brilliant experience, my recollections from Fun are that our Gallic cousins will have your pants down financially.
If you can fix that gearbox at home, fight tooth and nail to get it repatriated.
As part of your cover, the Ins. Co. should get you home and I would be inclined to get two seats on a plane rather than the back of a recovery truck.
It is, after all, the wrong end of 500miles from the channel ports and with the trucks relaying the van, and waiting for the next lift, could take days.

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
I am sorry to read of your problems. Do you have access to your LV policy document ? Being forearmed about your entitlements would be useful. I know you are all over the technical stuff but the contractual detail might be awkward.
Is the garage open on Monday ? Some are closed because they are open on Saturdays. 35 hour week don’t you know!
Are spares readily available for your venerable vehicle ‘cos that might be a game changer?
I know these are all questions rather than help but I’m sure it will be clearer once you know what is involved.
Courage - as they say down there.

Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
We had our car gearbox go pear shaped in France, funily enough near Carcasonne we were covered with AA, they gave us a car to use and repatriated our broken car within 14 days. Yours being a Campervan so different policy so I would be inclined to check the policy wording. I think they will give you a hire car to make your return journey.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi , I didn't know you had problems, how are you getting on, I read you had replaced some electrical gubbins but thought that had fixed your problem.
We expired near Toulouse on Friday, symptoms suggest alternator not working. We were recovered to a campsite as the vehicle is still drivable but was misbehaving a bit when I drove onto the pitch with ABS kicking in I think, possibly due to low voltage. I've checked earth straps and fuses and all seem fine.

I'm expecting a call on Monday to be given an update on when a garage can look at us. The campsite was my idea which they (CMC Red Pennant) agreed to, better than a car park somewhere.

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
From my reading several similar threads on here ie. Van broken down, taken to a french garage. With humble apologies to those who may have had a brilliant experience, my recollections from Fun are that our Gallic cousins will have your pants down financially.
If you can fix that gearbox at home, fight tooth and nail to get it repatriated.
As part of your cover, the Ins. Co. should get you home and I would be inclined to get two seats on a plane rather than the back of a recovery truck.
It is, after all, the wrong end of 500miles from the channel ports and with the trucks relaying the van, and waiting for the next lift, could take days.
Half the problem is that proper businesses have to stand-by any work they do so will not do the least necessary amount of work if they think it might come back and bite them. Especially if you are paying for it. I broke an exhaust pipe in the Massif Centrale and the garage would only replace the whole system from manifold to rear trim.

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Im no expert but have read a lot
We expired near Toulouse on Friday, symptoms suggest alternator not working. We were recovered to a campsite as the vehicle is still drivable but was misbehaving a bit when I drove onto the pitch with ABS kicking in I think, possibly due to low voltage. I've checked earth straps and fuses and all seem fine.

I'm expecting a call on Monday to be given an update on when a garage can look at us. The campsite was my idea which they (CMC Red Pennant) agreed to, better than a car park somewhere.
I,m no expert but have read an awfull lot about air bag faults due to low voltage engine battery
Maybe this is something you need to look at before to long as you have an altrnator fault and your engine battery gets to low

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
We had our car gearbox go pear shaped in France, funily enough near Carcasonne we were covered with AA, they gave us a car to use and repatriated our broken car within 14 days. Yours being a Campervan so different policy so I would be inclined to check the policy wording. I think they will give you a hire car to make your return journey.
Did you use the car to get all the way home or just to the channel crossing point ?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Im no expert but have read a lot

I,m no expert but have read an awfull lot about air bag faults due to low voltage engine battery
Maybe this is something you need to look at before to long as you have an altrnator fault and your engine battery gets to low
I don't think that'll be a problem, the Battery Master has fully recharged the battery today from the EHU. We will be able to drive to the camp entrance and meet the recovery truck.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
LV ( Britannia rescue) will pay up to £500 for accommodation at a maximum of £60 a night.
When we had a similar problem in Lithuania they found us a hotel for two nights and then we found ourselves lovely hotel for another eight.
It cost more than £500 but they paid it all.

Good Luck

Screenshot_20240914-195336-278.png

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
From what I can gather if the garage can't fix it before you are due to go home, they take you home but a problem we may have, we have another fortnight yet so that gives them time to do it, I would rather have it at home as it is.
Have you told the recovery bods of you existing return date? If not you could change it to early next week ...

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well as we stand , we are still in the hotel and hopefully the van is still intact in the storage yard.
Now the fun starts in the morning, there is a Renault trucks garage 10 mins away with excellent reviews so my first choice is going to there , don't tell me it will be dear as I well know that but hopefully it will be done right, if they can do it in something like 5 days fingers crossed we will still have a fortnight left of the trip and will save all the mither of low loaders and hire cars.
Now if they can't do it we will have to have a rethink :(

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The thing is, if we can get it done sharpish we have only lost a week and that's been spent in an hotel in Carcassonne, can't be bad.
The cost is going to be what it is and probably twice or even more than at home but it will done and finished with.
But all this is up in the air at the moment, we might not be able to get it done then we will have to think of coming home.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The thing is, if we can get it done sharpish we have only lost a week and that's been spent in an hotel in Carcassonne, can't be bad.
The cost is going to be what it is and probably twice or even more than at home but it will done and finished with.
But all this is up in the air at the moment, we might not be able to get it done then we will have to think of coming home.
Do you think it's going to be a gearbox repair or replacement?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back