Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Let’s hope it’s a quick fix chaser….🤞🏼🤞🏼
Hopefully just a cable or the linkage, good luck Charlie.
Don't think so it will go in gear but just grinds in any but 3 and 4.
We have been picked up and taken to a yard and the insurance have paid for it over the phone 600 euro now waiting for a taxi to take us to a hotel in Carcassonne for three nights 👍 ;)

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Don't think so it will go in gear but just grinds in any but 3 and 4.
We have been picked up and taken to a yard and the insurance have paid for it over the phone 600 euro now waiting for a taxi to take us to a hotel in Carcassonne for three nights 👍 ;)
Keep us posted on progress or lack of it please.
Probably can't help but we are only about 180 miles away from you.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well I know this is going to cost one way or another but up to yet can't fault this lv insurance, we are now in a three star hotel for three nights just got to pay for reakfast and now in a restaurant around the corner.
They was a bit slow picking up but I think there was a mixup as to had to pick us up , breakdown or police as we were just off the motorway by a page.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Well I know this is going to cost one way or another but up to yet can't fault this lv insurance, we are now in a three star hotel for three nights just got to pay for reakfast and now in a restaurant around the corner.
They was a bit slow picking up but I think there was a mixup as to had to pick us up , breakdown or police as we were just off the motorway by a page.
So glad it seems to be getting sorted Chas.

Enjoy the hotel break and am sure the van will be fixed and raring to go soon 👍👍

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Wha

Whats your gut feeling on the gearbox chaser..? Cables or..? 🤔
Not cables , it's going in and out fine but just a load of grinding and it didn't do it gradually, just coming up the motorway and it suddenly started a grinding noise that just got worse as we went along so came off at the next junction and through the payment place and that as they say was the end of that.
Surprisingly it's not worrying me much at the moment, don't know what will happen on Monday.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
I Think it is a two cable system one for the engagement of the gears in a convention forward and back box it would be the one the goes say 1st or second, the other cable moves across the gate for third or fourth and so on. If it’s the one that moves across the gate and you only have 3rd and 4 th thats sounds like the cross gate may have slipped the socket off the ball. The socket is the cable bit the ball on the gearbox. If you have any gears I doubt it is the clutch. Try someone watching the top of the box while the other one moves the gear leaver. It has been know to come off at either end. Not querying the garage but if the take the box out to change the clutch and clip the cable back on on re assembly you will be none the wiser. If they change the clutch insist on seeing tho old one. As an ambulance it will have had many rapid gear changes in is life. Good luck.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I Think it is a two cable system one for the engagement of the gears in a convention forward and back box it would be the one the goes say 1st or second, the other cable moves across the gate for third or fourth and so on. If it’s the one that moves across the gate and you only have 3rd and 4 th thats sounds like the cross gate may have slipped the socket off the ball. The socket is the cable bit the ball on the gearbox. If you have any gears I doubt it is the clutch. Try someone watching the top of the box while the other one moves the gear leaver. It has been know to come off at either end. Not querying the garage but if the take the box out to change the clutch and clip the cable back on on re assembly you will be none the wiser. If they change the clutch insist on seeing tho old one. As an ambulance it will have had many rapid gear changes in is life. Good luck.

This sounds very credible. 👍

Ian

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Yes we got burnt when our air con packed up in Portugal, we had a stone chip the a/c rad, got told it had wrecked the pump, all friendly took us to their house for lunch whilst it was being repaired, when I asked for the pump to take it back home was told they had fitted a service exchange one and the old one had gone back to the supplier. Looked underneath and could see that the pump had not been changed blocked the garage with the van and refused to move till I got my money back less the repair. All sorts of threats but stood my ground. Been wary ever since.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back