Griddle riddle (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 26, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance
On the last site we came across a guy cooking food on what looked like an electric griddle. I thought to myself, that looks like a fuss free way to cook some grub.
On returning home, I visited my local motorhome dealers shop to see what they had in stock. They hadn't got many, but what they did have were all priced between £35 - £55. I thought, they're cheap!
I then researched them on the tinterweb and found most were priced in the region of £250 - £350! So how come? I know you only get what you pay for, but can anyone tell me what I should be looking for please?
Thanks - Reebs

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Theres loads of types, we have had one in the past. Worked well enough when there was no wind as the slightest breeze cooled the hear plate very quickly. Add to the restriction on power supply on many sites and pay per kw for electric becoming more wide spead and you might not get many benefits.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I got one of these, as long as you use the iso propane canisters it works a treat, cheap, light and self contained.
IMG_0024.jpeg

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
We use an Outwell electric frying pan/ griddle. Really useful and we use it a lot. Frying, curries, stews,

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I got one of these, as long as you use the iso propane canisters it works a treat, cheap, light and self contained.
View attachment 933105
Yes, the very epitome of "KISS" in action, the case doubles as a windbreak as well. Just make sure all the pans that go on it are safe for all heating sources.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Yes, the very epitome of "KISS" in action, the case doubles as a windbreak as well. Just make sure all the pans that go on it are safe for all heating sources.
…and that the gas canister is properly sealed. A former colleague of mine was very badly burned and nearly died when his exploded.

Upvote 0
Jun 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
Harmony line 690g
Go to your Local Motorhome Dealership & get one of them that you saw... job done👍

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Neat, simple and also, according to Which?, one of the least efficient portable gas cookers . . .
I don't really understand that comment, I've used one quite a lot and find it used a very moderate amount of gas. If fact I can't remember changing the gas canister, it might be on the original one.
I fail to see how they can be inefficient

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
…and that the gas canister is properly sealed. A former colleague of mine was very badly burned and nearly died when his exploded.
Which is the reason the Scout Association has banned discouraged their use by teenagers.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The issue sometimes appears to be that people don't fit the canisters correctly or use pans that are too large so they cover the gas compartment which causes the canister to get heated up massively and explode.

Which is the reason the Scout Association has banned discouraged their use by teenagers.
Surely they should be rubbing their toggles together to make camp fires!

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
View attachment 933105
I seem to recall someone saying these are banned in Australia on safety grounds.

I think as Minxy says the danger is if you use too big a pot or pan and the gas bottle heats up.

I have been using them for years without any problem.

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
On the last site we came across a guy cooking food on what looked like an electric griddle. I thought to myself, that looks like a fuss free way to cook some grub.
On returning home, I visited my local motorhome dealers shop to see what they had in stock. They hadn't got many, but what they did have were all priced between £35 - £55. I thought, they're cheap!
I then researched them on the tinterweb and found most were priced in the region of £250 - £350! So how come? I know you only get what you pay for, but can anyone tell me what I should be looking for please?
Thanks - Reebs
Have a look at the Kampa range.

We have one and they seem ok - about £40

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
The issue sometimes appears to be that people don't fit the canisters correctly or use pans that are too large so they cover the gas compartment which causes the canister to get heated up massively and explode.

Our Arkela called them "woggles" but that was back in the 60s, a more naive time, pre P.C.
Also being leather not suitable for vegans, or strict religious sects.
Mike.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
I don't really understand that comment, I've used one quite a lot and find it used a very moderate amount of gas. If fact I can't remember changing the gas canister, it might be on the original one.
I fail to see how they can be inefficient
Wrong choice of words - should have said "less efficient" not "least efficient". Here's the Which? review:
Pros
  • Very easy to use
  • Wide burner makes it suitable for larger pots and pans
  • Joint-best fuel efficiency for single-ring stoves we’ve tested, but average compared to the best stoves
  • Stable and lightweight
Cons
  • Very poor wind resistance
  • Not quite as fast at boiling as our top-ranked camping stoves
Our verdict Struggles in breezy weather

Number of burners 1

Size (packed) and weight 13.3 x 28.4 x 34.3 (HxWxD); 1.6kg

Recommended fuel(s) CP250 or A4 gas cartridges

Need to know Piezo ignition, carry case included

There isn't a huge amount to split this stove from the Halfords Portable Gas Stove reviewed above, it's simple, stable and easy to use. But this one was much more susceptible to wind interference, so we'd recommend going with the Halfords stove instead if you won't be camping with a windbreak. We tried to boil a litre of water with a breeze blowing, and this stove couldn't get it above 37°C.

However, it does conserve gas more effectively than the Halfords stove. Our tests found that using this stove at the highest heat for five minutes will leave you with 4g more fuel than the Halfords, which might not sound like much, but it means each 220g gas cartridge would last you roughly 20 minutes more.

Its fuel efficiency is still pretty average compared with the best stoves we've tested, though, and it boiled a litre of water in almost eight minutes, which is also pretty average. The fastest we tested (Vango Folding Gas Stove, reviewed above) managed it in five minutes and used less fuel to do it.

That said we have one for use when circumstances warrant it . . . . otherwise it's Cadac all the way.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our Arkela called them "woggles" but that was back in the 60s, a more naive time, pre P.C.
Also being leather not suitable for vegans, or strict religious sects.
Mike.
As any Scout knows, Toggles and Woggles are two different things.
Both however are worn around the neck of a Scout.

They are both are in everyday use by the 57 million current Scouts worldwide (500k + in the UK) the roughly half million adult volunteers worldwide.

A Woggle, originally a Wörgl, is a ring, traditionally made of leather, although these days many other materials are used including plastic, rope, beads, metal, etc which holds together the Scout Scarf.

A Toggle, officially called the Wood Badge, is a wooden bead, traditionally made from the necklace of a Zulu chief, however in the last 100+ years made from wind felled oak from Baden Powell's home, the Gilwell Estate.
Wood Badge Toggles, are only awarded to Scout Leaders on completion of their training, or, as they are now called 'Lead Scout Volunteers'

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

Part of the problem is that every Scout is well aware that if you chuck the nearly empty gas canister into a camp fire (or bury it on the log pile) the results are "hilarious" when the aerosol explodes.

It sends the entire contents of the campfire in a 10m radius, setting fire to any tents within range, major burns on anyone close enough, and if you happen to be stoking the fire at the time, you could end up dead.

Hence, most Scout/Youth groups discontinued the use of aerosol based stoves many years ago.

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 640
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks - Reebs
We brought one in a supermarket in France for about £25 two years ago. Love it. Light weight (compared to our Cadac). Heats up quickly, non-stick so cleans up rapidly and you can do a decent fried breakfast on it.

I've seen them in Aldi/Lidl and "Original Factory Store" from time to time at similar prices.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back