Grey waste tank leaks from inspection plates? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dreamer Camper XL
Exp
Hi,

A recent and fantastic trip to Ireland and the Wild Atlantic Way has highlighted an issue with our now ( sadly just out of warranty ) Dreamer ( Rapido Group ) PVC.

Our grey waste tank now leaks when there is any significant amount of water in it and as per attached photos water is seen coming out around what looks like an inspection plate with four bolts on both sides of the tank. There is one each side of the rearward part of the tank and both are leaking - for some reason the bolts have rusted on one side but not the other but that's just an observation. The operation of the draining mechanism/valve rod functions correctly.

This post offered me some pointers but doesn't appear to be the same tank as ours and there are no images of the inspection plate removed which is mentioned.

I haven't had the time to look into this any further yet ( too many other jobs to do :rolleyes: ) but just wondered if anyone can suggest what the issue might be?

TIA

IMG_20230911_184210.jpgIMG_20230911_184340.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Is that definitely the grey tank.
Never seen one like that or moreso one with hatch's like that with steel bolts which points to the tank being metal as opposed to the usual plastic .
Then there's the convoluted pipe stubs?

OP
OP
P
Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dreamer Camper XL
Exp
Is that definitely the grey tank.
Never seen one like that or moreso one with hatch's like that with steel bolts which points to the tank being metal as opposed to the usual plastic .
Then there's the convoluted pipe stubs?

Yep it is definitely the grey tank and it is plastic.

The drain is out of shot somewhere to RHS of the first image - you can see the pull rod for the drain.

Agree on the pipe stubs not a clue what they are for but there is only one drain point.

OP
OP
P
Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dreamer Camper XL
Exp
Simple job remove and reseal with silicone

You have done this job yourself?

When you say reseal, where and what exactly, looking at my image you can see the water running past where the plate is bolted through suggesting ( to me at least ) the water is pooling above the plate?

Or is it that sealant is required around the bolt fixings themselves - remove them and reseal somehow?

1694499086270.png

OP
OP
P
Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dreamer Camper XL
Exp
Is that definitely the grey tank and not a winterizing insulation box that isn't really meant to be waterproof. Is the grey tank inside full and overflowing?

That is a fair point - I just checked the online spec of my van and there is no mention of the waste tank being insulated and don't remember it being mentioned when I bought it.

Hopefully if the dismal weather improves here in the East Midlands I will get under it this weekend and remove one of those covers to take a look.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Ok, here's my guess having spent the best part of 2 weeks replacing my whole tank and water system (post will follow on another thread).

You have one of two things. Like mine hopefully you may see in the picture and probably why some think about the confusion as to it being metal or plastic. What you may be looking at is the casing and not the actual tank. mine was similar but when taking the inspection hatches and screws off you will find that the actual tank is in there.
Undo the four screws and you are likely to find the outlet which then empties via a gap in the tank. Looks like it is leaking from there and could be simple as sealing it up, or as bad as having to replace it.
If you see in picture two, this is actually where the hatch is and the outlet pipe then takes a wild direction. as you see, I also have a whole in the tank which was for over filling of the fresh, a pipe just ran straight through that hole to the ground.

the thing to do is to take off those screws and see what you are left with.

ww16.jpg ww8.jpg ww18.jpg

OP
OP
P
Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dreamer Camper XL
Exp
haganap thanks, I think :confused:.

That looks like part of a tank did you have to separate it somehow?

I look forward to reading the post on what you did.

I hope to remove the cover this weekend although I'm slightly scared now, do the manufacturers engineer in these issues to fail just after the end of the warranty - kidding of course.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
haganap thanks, I think :confused:.

That looks like part of a tank did you have to separate it somehow?

I look forward to reading the post on what you did.

I hope to remove the cover this weekend although I'm slightly scared now, do the manufacturers engineer in these issues to fail just after the end of the warranty - kidding of course.
no, i didn't have to seperate it. That was bestowed on the van when a company fitted air suspension and literally cut the tank in half. Leaving the capacity at 30 liters, un heated and forever leaking (like yours) My initial investigations led to a complete removal and reconfigure of all pipe work.

It's a well know fact that ALL manufatures have a little button they press at the end of warranty to ensure things break. ha ha.

Mar 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Dreamer D55
Exp
First Camper 1970
Ok, here's my guess having spent the best part of 2 weeks replacing my whole tank and water system (post will follow on another thread).

You have one of two things. Like mine hopefully you may see in the picture and probably why some think about the confusion as to it being metal or plastic. What you may be looking at is the casing and not the actual tank. mine was similar .
I had a similar problem with my previous Rapido. I am pretty sure you are looking at the cover - the tank is inside this and the actual cleaning access to the tank is a large screw thing and is above this cover.

in my case, the inlet from the kitchen waste came adrift from the tank inlet - it is very inaccessible! The waste water was thus getting between the tank and cover.

OP
OP
P
Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dreamer Camper XL
Exp
Thank you rapideur that is really helpful.

What you suggest could well be the case because this problem appeared whilst we were on the, ahem, less than perfect roads of the Wild Atlantic Way. To be honest I'm surprised anything still works after the amount of bouncing around the van did :giggler:.

Also our van is a Dreamer so Rapido group.

Can I ask did you manage to fix the displaced pipe yourself?

The only thing I'd say about our issue is that the waste tank does not leak unless there is a significant amount of waste water in the tank ( maybe 50% full ) but then maybe that is becuase once there is that amount or more there is enough weight of water to push past the outer tank seals 🤔?

All conjecture till I actually get in there and check - hopefully this weekend weather permitting.

Mar 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Dreamer D55
Exp
First Camper 1970
Also our van is a Dreamer so Rapido group.

Can I ask did you manage to fix the displaced pipe yourself?
The van on which I had the problem was a Rapido V43 - I now have a Dreamer and it doesn't have the tank cover. Whether this is an economy measure or because the cover caused problems I am not sure.

Our leak was because the dog-leg connection from the kitchen waste came adrift but it is very inaccessible. It is a long story but briefly the problem arose because the inlet on top of the tank became tilted and depressed and it was impossible to push the dog-leg onto the inlet. I would have needed to dismount the tank to investigate further and hopefully fix, but that is a big job! Finally I made up a more flexible part that pushed into the tank inlet, and that worked fine until I traded it in.

I suggest you try running water down the wastes individually and crawling under to observe if it leaks where it enters the tank - you will know when you get drowned by it!

Should it be the same as my problem, I think I still have the Version2 model that I made up but never actually used - you would be welcome to it if this is indeed the same problem.

Mar 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Dreamer D55
Exp
First Camper 1970
I suggest you try running water down the wastes individually and crawling under to observe if it leaks where it enters the tank - you will know when you get drowned by it!
Sorry, probably should have suggested unscrewing the black cover from the underside of the tank cover to observe water flowing, which is how I originally diagnosed the problem. Afterwards I observed the dog-leg link during repeated attempts to fix it!

OP
OP
P
Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dreamer Camper XL
Exp
Thank you so much rapideur and for the kind offer I'll let you know how I get on after the weekend.

:LOL:

Interesting that your Dreamer does not have the cover, as you say perhaps due to issues.

Hadn't picked up you were a fellow Dreamer owner before - yet to see another on the road in approx 11000 miles :)

Mar 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Dreamer D55
Exp
First Camper 1970
Hadn't picked up you were a fellow Dreamer owner before - yet to see another on the road in approx 11000 miles :)
We only got it in January, previously had a Rapido V43 but a bit small.

Saw a British-registered one in France soon after we got ours, but none since!

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
When you remove the inspection cover you might find there is a big screw cap underneath.
Occasionally, these caps have a tendency to crack on the threaded part.
It sounds to me like this is what has happened but I could be wrong.

The inspection cover is possibly there to keep the cap in place if it were to come loose.

OP
OP
P
Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dreamer Camper XL
Exp
Fdhadi spot on with your suggestion thank you, I've been under and removed the inspection cover and yes there is a screw in access cap which had split at the edge allowing water to leak past to the external tank.

I have 2 issues now, first is that the cap is stuck solid, the fresh tank has 2 similar caps and I had to knock those round with a mallet to loosen them from new - however this one for now is not budging and not so easy within the double recessed tank.

Why on earth they have to be installed so tight I don't know as they have a rubber gasket anyway!

However not much point removing it until I've sourced a replacement in any case, written on the cap is PLAST' UP.FR ( french website I assume ) and "A0011"

Done some quick googling and not seen this cap anywhere yet so if anyone could help on that one I've be really grateful?

Pics attached, the intact cap is one of the identical caps from the fresh water tank.

IMG_20230916_123804.jpg IMG_20230916_131419.jpg IMG_20230916_131426.jpg

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
You might be able to find a cap that would fit at CAK tanks. They seem to have various sizes

Mar 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Dreamer D55
Exp
First Camper 1970
When you remove the inspection cover you might find there is a big screw cap underneath.
Occasionally, these caps have a tendency to crack on the threaded part.
It sounds to me like this is what has happened but I could be wrong.

The inspection cover is possibly there to keep the cap in place if it were to come loose.

Fdhadi spot on with your suggestion thank you, I've been under and removed the inspection cover and yes there is a screw in access cap which had split at the edge allowing water to leak past to the external tank.
Glad you have found the problem! May be tricky but I suspect much easier than the one I had.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
17 fun filled years
Pete-W This company on fleabay also selling the tanks, may be worth contacting them for a cap.

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
This is a link to a tank that appears to be from the same manufacturer, perhaps Grasshopper Leisure can supply the spare cap

OP
OP
P
Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dreamer Camper XL
Exp
Thanks for all the suggestions looks like a bit of ringing around will be required next week :)

Sep 15, 2024
Funster No
MH
Dreamer D55up

I have 2 issues now, first is that the cap is stuck solid, the fresh tank has 2 similar caps and I had to knock those round with a mallet to loosen them from new - however this one for now is not budging and not so easy within the double recessed tank.

Why on earth they have to be installed so tight I don't know as they have a rubber gasket anyway!

However not much point removing it until I've sourced a replacement in any case, written on the cap is PLAST' UP.FR ( french website I assume ) and "A0011"

Done some quick googling and not seen this cap anywhere yet so if anyone could help on that one I've be really grateful?

Pics attached, the intact cap is one of the identical caps from the fresh water tank.

View attachment 809811 View attachment 809812 View attachment 809813
I'm really struggling to open the inspection lid on my fresh water tank. It has the same cap as this, silly question but the cap does open anti-clockwise?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back