Gravelines, still good to stay?? (20 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Never understood the lure of Gravelines, went there once, thought it was crap, no desire to return there.
It's a pleasant enough town for a visit but I've done it once so probably won't again. I do find it handy for an overnight stop before or after a channel crossing, however I use the free Aire just outside town by the the Parrc Rives de l'Aa.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
I've never been and don't fancy it. Rather like Citë Europ aire. Might be ok, might get a load of migrants all over the bike rack. Why risk it?
My advice to anybody is get yourself away from Calais as soon as possible, and I speak from experience, bad experience 🤔😊

Been to both many times over many years and never seen a migrant so for me I don't see it as a risk. Driving down the motorway is far riskier - why risk that?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Been to both many times over many years and never seen a migrant so for me I don't see it as a risk. Driving down the motorway is far riskier - why risk that?
Because in my experience (which I value much more than other peoples 😊) the risk of migrant problems at Citë Europ is about 1 in 8. Might be slightly less at Gravelines... Maybe as low as 1 in 50?

The risk of using the motorway is over 1 in 1,000,000

Both risks, one is acceptable, one isn't
IMO

PS also the Aires are entirely optional with thousands to choose from, avoiding the M1 etc would be a nightmare

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It's a pleasant enough town for a visit but I've done it once so probably won't again. I do find it handy for an overnight stop before or after a channel crossing, however I use the free Aire just outside town by the the Parrc Rives de l'Aa.
We did make for this free aire earlier today but it was about 1pm and didn’t fancy spending the afternoon, evening and night there. The grass was too wet and soggy to drive onto so we would have had to park on the tarmac road.
We have gone to the marina aire by L’eclusier and just watched a migrant being turfed out of another returning Brit’s bike cover. He was sat on the bike with feet on pedals as if riding it. They picked him up at the wine supermarket place though. Not seen any others here and prefer the busyness of this to the rowing lake which felt very remote.
Rosie is on full alert though!
IMG_6363.jpeg

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
6 weeks ago on French/Belgium border LPG was €0.53

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
We did make for this free aire earlier today but it was about 1pm and didn’t fancy spending the afternoon, evening and night there. The grass was too wet and soggy to drive onto so we would have had to park on the tarmac road.
We have gone to the marina aire by L’eclusier and just watched a migrant being turfed out of another returning Brit’s bike cover. He was sat on the bike with feet on pedals as if riding it. They picked him up at the wine supermarket place though. Not seen any others here and prefer the busyness of this to the rowing lake which felt very remote.
Rosie is on full alert though!
We normally arrive there at 10pm or later after a evening crossing so it's straight to sleep. Usually quite busy there with other motorhomes too.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Because in my experience (which I value much more than other peoples 😊) the risk of migrant problems at Citë Europ is about 1 in 8. Might be slightly less at Gravelines... Maybe as low as 1 in 50?

The risk of using the motorway is over 1 in 1,000,000

Both risks, one is acceptable, one isn't
IMO

PS also the Aires are entirely optional with thousands to choose from, avoiding the M1 etc would be a nightmare

Well, personally I think the migrant risk is all over hyped. Stop reading the Daily Mail and you'll be fine.

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
I've never been and don't fancy it. Rather like Citë Europ aire. Might be ok, might get a load of migrants all over the bike rack. Why risk it?
My advice to anybody is get yourself away from Calais as soon as possible, and I speak from experience, bad experience 🤔😊
Sorry about your experience. With a slight trepidation, but having read good reviews we stayed at the CCP at Calais a few days ago. What a great spot. Handy for the refurbished promenade, not far from shops and restaurants, great friterie at the end of the road, cycle routes etc and that’s without going into town. Felt totally safe and not a migrant to be seen. A dozen or so British vans out of 30 odd on there. We will go back.

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Well, personally I think the migrant risk is all over hyped. Stop reading the Daily Mail and you'll be fine.
I’ve seen nothing untowards in gravelines, in other news we did try the other aire and whilst there was no migrants etc, we just didn’t feel right there, so we went to the marina👍

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I’ve seen nothing untowards in gravelines, in other news we did try the other aire and whilst there was no migrants etc, we just didn’t feel right there, so we went to the marina👍
That was our experience too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back