GPL (LPG/Autogas) Spain (2 Viewers)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Really we ought to be getting LPG/GPL cheaper as we aren't using it for travel but for heating/cooking. Less VAT!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
So back in Spain. First fill at Repsol south of Zaragoza A23. Filled up and went to pay women behind the counter went ballistic. Arms waving something about gas being explosive.
I just smiled and played dumb. I know it’s not hard.
First time in over 10 years I’ve had a problem

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
So back in Spain. First fill at Repsol south of Zaragoza A23. Filled up and went to pay women behind the counter went ballistic. Arms waving something about gas being explosive.
Gas is explosive...she was most likely warning you that, she had just made a perfectly natural human function .💥😃🤭

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

My retort would have been - "So why do you keep so much under the ground in your tanks?"

Except I could not do that in Spanish - so I suppose I would have shout louder than her in English. :LOL:

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Just returning to the meat of the thread, I had a similar LPG refusal in Italy at a Vega filling station near Lake d'Orta a couple of weeks ago. Was politely told filling was for engines only and that all Vega stations had this directive.

Went a mile up the road and filled up my (underslung) LPG tank at an Eni filling station, who were very relaxed and asked no questions. Just a point to bear in mind that might affect those going to Italy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
If it catches on, this will be the end of the likes of Gaslow etc.
It will also be a pain for us personally as, based in southern Iberia but summer long stayers in the uk , we would be forced to carry two different types of gas cylinders on our visits. Not ideal in a pvc.
Making the case further for the installation of LiFePO4 batteries. ;)

Note to "self" fill LPG 1st....
As we do.

I use Repsol Propanno bottles when at the Spanish winter site for a few months. These are readily and widely available. A Gaslow pigtail which screws into the external filler point, then onto an adapter for the Repsol bottle means gas is the equivalent of €0.60 a litre. Pricing on the bottles is dynamic at most outlets but at the moment is less than €15 for 11kg bottle, so around 22 litres of gas. ✔️
Same here Harvey. We can go through 1 x 12Kg Propano a week if the heating is needed daily, mornings and evenings. I top up my refillables before arriving at the site, and again when we leave, as you have to have used some first to create a vapour space in the refillable, before connecting the Propano cylinder.

We have never been refused Autogas/GLP in Spain, and usually refill at Repsol Teruel, and Repsol Benidorm.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Gas is explosive...she was most likely warning you that, she had just made a perfectly natural human function .💥😃🤭
Maybe I should have shown her my Gas safe registration or my ADR card for driving the 26t of gas I’ve done daily up to last November.
Never mind I got the gas paid and left with a little muchos gracias (y)
Going forward I’ll probably not leave until I have to get it. Just in case. I’ll move on

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
refused? Refused?? In 5 years of driving the last coachbuilt with onboard tank I had never had anyone even offer to fill the gas up :cry: let alone abuse me for wanting to fill.
One Repsol on the A23 showing gpl I trawled around & gave up & went in to ask where the pump was ? Only to be told it was back at the entrance some 80m from the diesel & petrol pumps & no likelihood of anyone even wanting to assist you?
I think if you read all the threads the issue is all the EU countries now have the SAME rule.
Petrol stations LPG is for LPG engines only, not motorhome/domestic use.
Get a couple of these and replace the Diesel Turbo ones?
View attachment 880245

As the EU push ICE ban they need to secure the LPG for propulsion and that started a few years ago.
In Spain 2022 and most LPG pump had "Solo Autogas" label on pump, filled up several time, we were only
stopped once. The pump had a remote release control inside the booth and they would not let us use it.
One can only hope/presume that an alternative network for supplying LPG for leisure is established.
Yes & another law Spain has ,& to my knowledge has never been rescinded, is that GPL is solely for public utility vehicles & taxi cabs. No private vehicles filling allowed. As most usage was around Madrid/up north this is probably why many still refuse . Down here 20 years ago there was 1 filling station in the centre of Murcia City 1 in Totana & the next , actually known , was in Granada, now we have 5 around me in fuel stations
Applying your logic you'll get no LPG and no diesel, who loses? Do you have diesel to drive to another source of LPG
He meant he filled with diesel first ,so no lpg then they needed to either syphon out the diesel or supply lpg as otherwise he wasn't paying.
I had to move to get the lpg and waited for a bloke in a car to fill 2 containers in carrier bags on the floor with fuel.🙄
That is nearly as bad as the bloke on a moped with a 5 litre water container he filled but didn't have the top for??
... and canisters .... :giggle:
you've forgotten bombonas

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I think if you read all the threads the issue is all the EU countries now have the SAME rule.
Petrol stations LPG is for LPG engines only, not motorhome/domestic use.
Get a couple of these and replace the Diesel Turbo ones?
View attachment 880245
Not such a daft suggestion. I have done so. How many garage attendants know for certain dual fuel transits don't exist.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not such a daft suggestion. I have done so. How many garage attendants know for certain dual fuel transits don't exist.
Hmmmm ... is there a 'market' for removable 'diesel/LPG' (other languages available!) signs so that when we need gas we can stick one on the side of the MH near the filler, fill up with both fuels, pay then drive away and remove said sign? Might have to pitch to Dragons' Den! :giggle:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Hmmmm ... is there a 'market' for removable 'diesel/LPG' (other languages available!) signs so that when we need gas we can stick one on the side of the MH near the filler, fill up with both fuels, pay then drive away and remove said sign? Might have to pitch to Dragons' Den! :giggle:
I think it's quite a neat sign and will leave it on. It could quite easily be converted to magnetic if anyone wanted.

Aug 12, 2012
SOUTH LAKES
Funster No
MH
Bavaria Iclass 740
Exp
since 2010
We too filled up at Repsol Teruel. Car behind us was a Guarda Civilia. Took about 3 minutes longer as I had to find my adaptor and screw it in. No problem.
I got refused at Teruel last November and after reading this I'm now wondering if it was because I had just filled with diesel. Having said that, I filled both diesel and LPG at the same station the previous April without any bother.

Apr 30, 2015
maidstone
Funster No
MH
swift escape
Exp
I'm saying it because it is the legal situation. If a garage chooses to not to apply the law then you may have filled up.
1 of many articles, google will translate if you do not read French:

As the EU push ICE ban they need to secure the LPG for propulsion and that started a few years ago.
In Spain 2022 and most LPG pump had "Solo Autogas" label on pump, filled up several time, we were only
stopped once. The pump had a remote release control inside the booth and they would not let us use it.
One can only hope/presume that an alternative network for supplying LPG for leisure is established.
That said as LPG is a by product of Petrol production if they reduce the demand/stop petrol production, where will
the LPG come from? Bio LPG?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Do all homes in Spain that use gas cylinders for cooking rely on exchange bottles?

Have none of them changed to Safefill or equivalent? If so how do they get on at filling stations? Or do they go to other outlets?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
& you are meant to have one of these.
s-l960.jpg

Or GPL in my case

Really we ought to be getting LPG/GPL cheaper as we aren't using it for travel but for heating/cooking. Less VAT!
But in bulk it is not legal in spain for that use.
Do all homes in Spain that use gas cylinders for cooking rely on exchange bottles?
Mostly.Either the 12,5kg ones which have a regulated gov.es price or the larger 35kg(?) ones which are usually used for heating in multiples & cooking possibly as well.

In ground bulk tanks are available but A) cost a lot & B) the price of the gas is far dearer than the regulated 12,5kg ones
Have none of them changed to Safefill or equivalent?
No because they are really only available for use on motorhomes.& also installation is far ,far dearer here than in the uk
f so how do they get on at filling stations?
They do not. No one will allow filling of bottles legally.
You exchange the 12,5kg regulated price bottles for a full new one either at hardware stores, supermarkets, fuel stations or for most houses repsol or cepsa deliver to the door if y9u have a gas installation certificate.

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
At my home we used orange butane gas cylinders when I was a kid, and I believe it's still the case (I don't know nobody who has not "city gas" installed nowadays).
Screenshot_2024-04-15-15-23-07-95_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back