Gorges du Verdon (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
We are considering heading down towards Grasse from Ste Croix in the next day or 2 and passing through the Gorges du Verdon. Grateful for any tips on routing and times.
We are 7.5m long and 3m high (Dethleffs A-Class).
Most threads suggest:
a: South side is easier (D71) and
b. Go earlier in that day
Experienced driver, nervous navigator 🙂
Thank you

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We did the south side in the middle of May and it was almost empty. There are big drops, but it's not that technical. The hairpins are mostly flat and broad. Big coaches don't have issues. Provided it's not too busy, it shouldn't be too stressful.

Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
If you skip through this video I did you can get an idea of what the northern circular route is like. We always went round on the scooter but I would take a motorhome round it no problem. Seen a few do it. I would go early morning though maybe preferably on a sunny day. The south side is ok but for the best views down the gorge the north side and the circular route midway (Clockwise) is better. There is a good aire at Trigance at the end. Nice village.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Coaches do the North side so you shouldn’t have a problem, personally only done it several times on my bike. 🏍️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 13, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
New to Motorhome, experienced caravanner 😊
We have just come from there in our A class Carthage Liner for Two, 7.8m.

Had no issues, stayed at Les Moulins near (4kms) Moustier.

We have found if we put our destination into the Sat nav and Apple Maps then between them we work out the best roads to take 🤩

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
When we went 2018 there was a one way system on the north side for the highest section, it also had a 3t weight limit on that section but didn’t seem to be enforced

Awesome views, well worth ignoring the weight limit

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19

Took this from a hired microlight about 10 years ago, verdon gorge starts about 1 min 30 in.
I drove it after I flew through it in a renault clio, would probably risk the motorhome if I set off early.

Graydo

Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Forgot to add that you can hire Kayaks from the top end of Lac St Croix and go up the Gorge for a mile or so. Thats worth doing and also a lot of people don't know this but at the other end of the lakes there are more smaller gorges and some lovely stretches of water you can take boats out onto. The roads down there are a bit hit and miss though so use Streetview.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
If you can do it, PLEASE hire a kayak for two and paddle up the gorge. It’s unbelievably beautiful. The water is crystal clear, emerald and deep. Oh, and cold! You can paddle into mini caves where the light bounces and reflects magnificently on a sunny day. We stayed in a municipal on the other side of the hill where each emplacement was carved out of the hillside and demarcated with stones. Good tree cover and hammock-slinging potential. Thoroughly recommended.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
If you can do it, PLEASE hire a kayak for two and paddle up the gorge. It’s unbelievably beautiful. The water is crystal clear, emerald and deep. Oh, and cold! You can paddle into mini caves where the light bounces and reflects magnificently on a sunny day. We stayed in a municipal on the other side of the hill where each emplacement was carved out of the hillside and demarcated with stones. Good tree cover and hammock-slinging potential. Thoroughly recommended.
I'm heading that way and have an inflatable kayak on board.
Which section did you kayak please ?

OP
OP
A
Aug 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
We have just come from there in our A class Carthage Liner for Two, 7.8m.

Had no issues, stayed at Les Moulins near (4kms) Moustier.

We have found if we put our destination into the Sat nav and Apple Maps then between them we work out the best roads to take 🤩
Thank you. Did you do the South side?

OP
OP
A
Aug 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
We did the Southern route today from West to East starting at Pont du Galetas at 1020 where there was lots of canoeing and kayaking and a decent amount of parking. The climb to, through and 8km beyond Aiguines was the narrowest and steepest but was fine and not busy; only 1 coach coming the other way and lots of motorbikes in both directions. The toughest bit was actually passing a train of cyclists. The ‘down’ was easier than I had expected as the road was wider and less steep. Fabulous.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back