Google/Nest cameras cloud servers being shut down. Devices becoming bricks. (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I hate Microshaft and its endlessly fiddling with its OS and changing menus and commands for no good reason. GJH has explained why I still have a laptop running XP Pro, mainly so I can carry on using my trusty 20-year-old HP Laserjet, and my slightly younger HP scanner/copier and its clever software. There is some faff involved in stransferring documents, but that saves buying new peripherals. I also don't want to send a perfectly good working printer etc to the tip. Manufacturers are trying to force us to replace every kind of consumer goods at least every 5 years and also making them unrepairable. Not great for the environment. Very wasteful.

I don't trust e-books for similar reasons. An e-library in the cloud can easily disappear overnight, with or without notice. They may be cheaper initially than printed books, but at least the hard copy version isn't ephemeral, subject to the whims of e-commerce. In several ways it is a store of value. Real books can increase in value, especially rare 1st editions signed by the author. Win-win.
My wife occasionally uses MS Teams for conf calls it seems with the push to cloud services she can only arrange a call if she uses the office 365 suite this is another change and would mean more costs so Teams is going in the Bin.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
My wife occasionally uses MS Teams for conf calls it seems with the push to cloud services she can only arrange a call if she uses the office 365 suite this is another change and would mean more costs so Teams is going in the Bin.
Oh! A company I volunteer for use MS Teams so I had to just recently start using Teams for online meetings.
The app is installed on my apple devices and a Windows 10 desktop with no sight of Office 365 🤔🤞

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
On the flipside, I’m many years into researching just what the issue is using connected devices, opting into the most verbose feedback with devices and website cookies, etc.
My life is unchanged with Amazon, Google etc. knowing even the extra stuff let alone the basics.

I often precipitate in beta release programs of software and hardware so that’s where opting into sending diagnostic info started but even outside of beta programs, if developers can improve their released apps with this feedback, I’m glad to help.

I’m not gullible and look for unsolicited info requests.
Mrskevenh never accepts updates, cookies, etc. and gets cross when she can’t get info she wants or apps stop working. Hmm!

If I was concerned about customer data usage, apple would be included as someone to be concerned about but I’ve provided sources for why before - obviously unheeded or their customer data usage deemed to be OK 🤷‍♂️
Oh come on. Every one know Apples is the lessor of the two weavels

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Oh come on. Every one know Apples is the lessor of the two weavels

A great book series. I might reread for a 3rd time.
Note to self “look out for a full set in an ebook sale” 🤣👍🏻

Edit: I liked the film too. 2 (3?) books mashed in as one though. Shame there isn’t another film coming 🤔

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Oh! A company I volunteer for use MS Teams so I had to just recently start using Teams for online meetings.
The app is installed on my apple devices and a Windows 10 desktop with no sight of Office 365 🤔🤞
Interesting will have to double check

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Some check my side too. On Windows 10 maybe Teams installs standalone via links from the Office 365 download area. 👀😳
That’s right but there has just been an update it looks though you have to have outlook to now to schedule a call rather than from the teams desktop app. Microsoft appears to be moving outlook to 365.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I don't trust e-books for similar reasons. An e-library in the cloud can easily disappear overnight, with or without notice.
I buy my ebooks off amazon and use the OpenSource software called Calibre to remove the DRM and back them up. They cannot be disappeared overnight and I have a backup in multiple places :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
1681173510751.png