May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
No been there as long as I have.
And the thing is. It's always used this route before.
I think yours is a local problem probably caused by an incorrect Google map update.
Not sure if this is on or off the point, but if I park at the top of my drive pointing forwards, I get a different route out of town to if I park at the end. Since we are close to the city centre with its one way system, it can send you up the Mendips along some quite narrow roads. But once you have selected a route, it tends to want to stick to that route rather than completely resetting.
That sounds like a similar issue to the one I have where Google seems to assume a direction of travel that may not make sense.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I had as go in the new van with Apple Maps this morning going to Sturminster Marshall. It worked a treat. I know the way although there are 3 options but wasn’t sure about the last bit, Hillview Awnings. Took me to the door on the industrial estate. Didn’t do anything daft on CarPlay.

Just a bit upset about “the man”, where’s Jayne? He has a gentle voice but I’m not sure what to call him. May have to be Dad although he doesn’t have a broad Somerset accent.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I think sat nav’s are all the same, in that when we know where we are going they take us on some odd routes! I just try not to bother, as what I don’t know doesn’t hurt me! I still like google maps, as you can at least see easily where it wants to take you, and adjust accordingly! All the sat nav’s refuse to take me the quickest way to my daughters, but suddenly adjust when I go the way I want! If only you could save a route!

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sorry to keep on about this, but I thought that Waze used Google maps , but just looked it up and it uses the proper way.
Curiouser and curiouser.
Screenshot_20240819-124032.png

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Just a bit upset about “the man”, where’s Jayne? He has a gentle voice but I’m not sure what to call him. May have to be Dad although he doesn’t have a broad Somerset accent.

The Maps language and voices are set by your Siri preferences.

Go to your iPhone settings and select ‘Siri & Search’ then ‘Siri Voice’ to view and select and download (if not already on the iPhone) your preferred option. We like Irish (Voice2) for the melodic caileen - there are South African versions available if she’s too softly spoken for you!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I had as go in the new van with Apple Maps this morning going to Sturminster Marshall. It worked a treat. I know the way although there are 3 options but wasn’t sure about the last bit, Hillview Awnings. Took me to the door on the industrial estate. Didn’t do anything daft on CarPlay.

I’ve not properly tested the following in Apple Maps, but there are are definitely male and female voice options available in Siri settings…

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Apparently there is no way of transferring all your Google maps saved places over to Apple Maps, or I would be more inclined to use it! I’m all Apple, but that seems daft, as they’d get more people over if that were possible!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
This what Garmin gives you.

Motorhome - 7 miles in 24 minutes
1724074607163.png

Car - 6.3 miles in 16 minutes
1724074702253.png

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

View attachment 937368

View attachment 937369
Can't fault that mate, yes we use the bottom route but didn't want to confuse the issue anymore by mentioning that, but you can see by this that the Google map is just totally wrong and yet it's always used the square route.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

View attachment 937368

View attachment 937369
Well impressed with your map mate, never seen any satnav show your bottom route, it's not a route for motorhomes but it is way quicker if you don't meet anything coming the other way . But the Google map , where it wants to take me uses even narrower roads than your bottom one.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Can I ask folks if you will try a few local routes and see if yours has changed?
For years, Google Maps has always sent me on a sensible route from my home - avoiding our town centre with narrow roads. As per your request I entered a common local destination and suddenly it's suggesting a shortcut which is a single track road and I'd never take the MH along it, although it's our preferred route in the car.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Can't fault that mate, yes we use the bottom route but didn't want to confuse the issue anymore by mentioning that, but you can see by this that the Google map is just totally wrong and yet it's always used the square route.

Well impressed with your map mate, never seen any satnav show your bottom route, it's not a route for motorhomes but it is way quicker if you don't meet anything coming the other way . But the Google map , where it wants to take me uses even narrower roads than your bottom one.
Got it!(y)

Google ain't daft as it's taking you passed the JCB Parts place 'cause it thinks you're needing bits for your digger!(y)

ps the route it is suggesting (coming down from top left and up to top right) looks stupid given the poor quality of the roads it's using (even when it's open:whistle2:)!

1724076954878.png

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Got it!(y)

Google ain't daft as it's taking you passed the JCB Parts place 'cause it thinks you're needing bits for your digger!(y)

ps the route it is suggesting (coming down from top left and up to top right) looks stupid given the poor quality of the roads it's using (even when it's open:whistle2:)!

View attachment 937381
Very true mate. I wouldn't usually go on like this but the route it suggests is totally ludicrous, nearly doubles the distance and about a third more in time on really narrow roads.
And the thing is it didn't do it before so why has it changed.
Nothing I can do will make it change it's mind.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Very true mate. I wouldn't usually go on like this but the route it suggests is totally ludicrous, nearly doubles the distance and about a third more in time on really narrow roads.
And the thing is it didn't do it before so why has it changed.
Have a look at this.
1724079539705.png

The problem appears to be Google does not now recognise Leigh Lane / Bank as a navigable road despite you being able to look at it on Street View.

So it routes you as above.

ps you can now sleep soundly tonight! :clap2: :giggler:

pps no charge for the private psychiatric consultation!:tounge::X3:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Took us off a main road near Bath across a narrow toll bridge cost me a whole pound!
When leaving THS at Limpley Stoke last year, I needed to access the A36 through Bath to get me up on to the M4 Westbound. So to avoid being stung for emission zone charges, I studied that route you mentioned above Lenny, on Google Street View, and felt confident enough to take it in our large MH.
Matey on the toll bridge never batted an eyelid as he took his £1.00, and off I went straight up to the M4 junction, without any problems. Admittedly, I chose early on a Saturday morning, so the route was quiet. ;)

It doesn't fill you with confidence if it adds 30% on to a journey around here what's it going to do in Europe?
And, as I've said before Chas, not for me with anything bigger than a LWB panel van. That's why I won't trust Google Maps as a navigation device. :(

We’ve done that bridge in our previous PVC and it was bad enough on a busy day. Never again. It must have been dreadful in your new van. I’m glad we’re not the only ones who don’t like the fancy pants satnav in the new Fiat.
As above Carolyn, I chose the right time of day, and was determined not to pay the Bath emission charge for using a major route, ie, the A36 which runs straight through it. :( That is legalised entrapment as far as I'm concerned. :mad:

I too did a route plan chaser, using my Truck Sat Nav, and the result is as you personally would have expected.

20240819_154917.jpg

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Have a look at this.
View attachment 937415

The problem appears to be Google does not now recognise Leigh Lane / Bank as a navigable road despite you being able to look at it on Street View.

So it routes you as above.

ps you can now sleep soundly tonight! :clap2: :giggler:

pps no charge for the private psychiatric consultation!:tounge::X3:
Yes but that doesn't say why it won't use the square fole way.

Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
Appreciate it is bizarre but if you don't want to contact Google to try and get them to explain, just add a Stop at 52.9326071, -1.9354391

Should force the issue and let you get on with your journey/life. ;)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
The algorithms that drive the routes are written by Californian children brought up on a grid system that does not involve wiggly roads. The closest they have got to driving is a games console. They have never heard of “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” and believe that if they haven’t devised a new more complex way of doing a simple task they will be deemed a failure. Their purpose in life is to make sure older people like me are living up to their stereotype i.e. confused and irritable. 😀

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back