Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I mainly use Google maps just to check for traffic.
Wasn't that impressed with the satnav in the new van (Fiat 10" Uconnect) so a few weeks ago I put Google up on the screen. Took us off a main road near Bath across a narrow toll bridge cost me a whole pound! Had me crapping myself for miles down tiny country lanes through little villages to arrive at destination which was 50yds off the A36. Won't be using it again.

Got loads of mapping programs on my phone can't get them to work on Android Auto but not really tried very hard.
Good job you didn't get another Hymer then as you'd be stuck between the hedges! šŸ˜„

Loosing those extra inches in width makes a heck of a difference. šŸ™ƒ

Jan 21, 2015
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Lo-line Coachbuilt
Exp
Just Starting Fifth Year
Has anyone found Google maps to be giving stupid routes lately, yesterday Julie was going to a garden centre between stoke and leek so just got Google up to show her where it was.
There is an almost straight route which it has been on thousands of times, but yesterday for some unknown reason it wanted me to go into uttoxeter and back up the a50 , no road holdups or anything, a good 5 miles over going straight.
Couldn't get it to go any other way which it did before.
Here we go maps just went the normal way.
Maybe it's a garden centre thing, I live in Cheadle staffs and yesterday I needed to go to a centre near Rugeley. Google maps took me to a car park on the edge of Cannock Chase some 2 .miles away.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Isn't anyone going to jump on me for this thread. Seeing that I have always bulled up Google maps I thought you would all be saying, I told you so.
But to be fair to everyone I am really done with this, if it does this 5 miles from home you have to wonder what it's going to do somewhere you don't know.
Yep, homeward bound from the west country I had Gmaps running for speedo checks, at one point it was advocating turning around and taking a very circular route for a 2 minute saving. The traffic was a mare Friday though, 7.5 hours, door to door, with a short stop fuel and tea. I've also had the reluctance of the app to turn off. As other's have said, you wonder just where it is routing you when it has you firmly by the short and curly's??

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Now I need a lesson on how I can still use google maps in the new van without blasted carplay taking over. I have turned off Siri and Bluetooth and thereā€™s no physical cable but still as soon as I set start on my phone the 1/2 map pops up on the monitor. The best Iā€™ve managed to keep on my phone is that useless written list of directions!! Going mad here. We want to have Google maps running on phone as well as this fancy pants new satnav. That doesnā€™t seem to be an option. Anyone know how to turn Carplay off?

Have you tried it using the cable plugged into the dedicated communication port? My Fiat 2022 base is rock solid on both the phone and head unit when connected that way. Can also switch between mapping apps on the head unit while still having the original one on the phone - muted where necessary.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Have you tried it using the cable plugged into the dedicated communication port? My Fiat 2022 base is rock solid on both the phone and head unit when connected that way. Can also switch between mapping apps on the head unit while still having the original one on the phone - muted where necessary.
Can you explain what you mean by head unit please? I have to confess when people kept using the term I assumed they meant they were using wireless headphones/earbuds but I am now thinking you all mean something else. You also say ā€œrock solidā€ ?

Apr 20, 2009
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2008
My Google maps keeps freezing when navigation finished with the smiley faces at the bottom, also sometimes the keyboard doesn't pop up when I need to type something. Force closing it fixes it until next time, been doing it weeks now, I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed.
I have had the same issue for the last few months - but not every time. It must be a bug with GM as I have just upgraded to a new phone and still have the same issue.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
i have just tried several routes known to me and its been fine

Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
Maybe it's a garden centre thing, I live in Cheadle staffs and yesterday I needed to go to a centre near Rugeley. Google maps took me to a car park on the edge of Cannock Chase some 2 .miles away.
To be fair to Google, it's not their fault if someone puts the incorrect location in for a business.
If they don't bother to geolocate the precise location, then Google will use the centre of the post code area.
This can cause many strange routings.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Can you explain what you mean by head unit please? I have to confess when people kept using the term I assumed they meant they were using wireless headphones/earbuds but I am now thinking you all mean something else. You also say ā€œrock solidā€ ?
The Uconnect unit/display on the dashboard.ā€˜Rock solidā€™ no dropping of connection which sometimes happed when connecting wirelessly. Apple Maps is my app of choice as it appears to have the most up to date routing and, most importantly, live updating of traffic conditions and mobile speed checks, etc. If itā€™s a new off the beaten track destination Iā€™ll also run Magic Earth with the ā€˜Truckā€™ option selected in tandem with it to see what different routing options it might throw up.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The Uconnect unit/display on the dashboard.ā€˜Rock solidā€™ no dropping of connection which sometimes happed when connecting wirelessly. Apple Maps is my app of choice as it appears to have the most up to date routing and, most importantly, live updating of traffic conditions and mobile speed checks, etc. If itā€™s a new off the beaten track destination Iā€™ll also run Magic Earth with the ā€˜Truckā€™ option selected in tandem with it to see what different routing options it might throw up.
Thankyou, Iā€™m having a go with Apple maps as of today to see how I get on in my car which is a Fiat and then weā€™re driving the van tomorrow so fingers crossed. Apple maps used to be rubbish compared to google maps but Iā€™ve not looked in years. 8 days to get it sorted before Europe!

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
To be fair to Google, it's not their fault if someone puts the incorrect location in for a business.
If they don't bother to geolocate the precise location, then Google will use the centre of the post code area.
In my op I had put in the correct actual place but that didn't make the slightest difference it still wants me to go to uttoxeter to get there.
I am not criticiseing Google maps as I have used them and recommended them to others for years, I am just trying to fathom out where it's going wrong with a route it's done for twenty years and I may have to change my opinion.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
To add that Iā€™m also using an Amazon Echo Auto (1st Generation) that connects to the devices and is extremely useful for changing radio stations and other functions hands free.
Many reviews on Amazon. With examples of how to integrate and use it in conjunction with other devices.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hymer B644
Exp
Since 2004~
I mainly use Google maps just to check for traffic.
Wasn't that impressed with the satnav in the new van (Fiat 10" Uconnect) so a few weeks ago I put Google up on the screen. Took us off a main road near Bath across a narrow toll bridge cost me a whole pound! Had me crapping myself for miles down tiny country lanes through little villages to arrive at destination which was 50yds off the A36. Won't be using it again.

Got loads of mapping programs on my phone can't get them to work on Android Auto but not really tried very hard.
I believe the apps on our phones have to updated after being rewritten at source, then sanctified by Android before they work on Android Auto.
Try updating your phone's apps to see which ones now are Android Auto compatible.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I make a point of adding and correcting locations on Google (and TomTom, Garmin, OSM, and others) maps.
I've been doing it for years.

I now have a combined million plus hits on my locations in Google alone.

There are also two roads which had local names known by the few residents, but were not named on any maps. Those two names are now on every map including the O/S.
I also added a 70 mile mine supply trucking route across Baffin Island, I should have named it after myself!

Nov 9, 2022
Whitestone, Hereford, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus 650 MEG
Exp
Yes but this has only just happened , I have used Google maps at least 10 years and it's never took me that way before, no matter what I do it insists on going that way, it's not just me I got my lad to try it on his phone and he gets exactly the same.
It doesn't fill you with confidence if it adds 30% on to a journey around here what's it going to do in Europe?The

Apr 19, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer Camp Swing
Part of the problem might be that Google Maps defaults to sending you on the "Eco" route. I turned this function off, eventually found it by trawling through the settings in Maps.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Part of the problem might be that Google Maps defaults to sending you on the "Eco" route. I turned this function off, eventually found it by trawling through the settings in Maps.
I don't think this can possibly be the case for this route. We have a straight run on a good wide road that it's always used before, but now for some reason that I can't alter by any settings it wants to add about 5 miles to a 7 mile journey through narrow country roads.
It looks as if this thread is dying now but I really think it's something that should be investigated.

Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
It looks as if this thread is dying now but I really think it's something that should be investigated.
Have you reported it to Google? If you go to Google Maps menu (tap your account top right) > Help and Feedback > you can report Navigation problems or Product feedback.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have simplified this right down now and just really get my head round it .
Now this route is about a mile down the road a couple of minutes along a good road and you can see the straight route and where it actually wants me to go.
Screenshot_20240819-101626.png

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Have you reported it to Google? If you go to Google Maps menu (tap your account top right) > Help and Feedback > you can report Navigation problems or Product feedback.
I will have a go at it šŸ‘ but it's not strictly my point, if it does this on a road we know and it has always taken the straight route why has it suddenly changed, and what is it doing on routes we don't know?

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I will have a go at it šŸ‘ but it's not strictly my point, if it does this on a road we know and it has always taken the straight route why has it suddenly changed, and what is it doing on routes we don't know?
I have had a look at this but it's far to complicated for me.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I have just been playing around with Google Maps for your area and it really does not want to use the un-named lane that would be the shortest route. Are the no entry signs just after you cross the river on this lane new? If they are perhaps a Google Muppet has decided that this closes off the whole route.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have just been playing around with Google Maps for your area and it really does not want to use the un-named lane that would be the shortest route. Are the no entry signs just after you cross the river on this lane new? If they are perhaps a Google Muppet has decided that this closes off the whole route.
No been there as long as I have.
And the thing is. It's always used this route before.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Not sure if this is on or off the point, but if I park at the top of my drive pointing forwards, I get a different route out of town to if I park at the end. Since we are close to the city centre with its one way system, it can send you up the Mendips along some quite narrow roads. But once you have selected a route, it tends to want to stick to that route rather than completely resetting.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I am actually not bothered about this, can't understand it but the big problem is what does it do on routes you don't know.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not sure if this is on or off the point, but if I park at the top of my drive pointing forwards, I get a different route out of town to if I park at the end. Since we are close to the city centre with its one way system, it can send you up the Mendips along some quite narrow roads. But once you have selected a route, it tends to want to stick to that route rather than completely resetting.
Yes that has been mentioned but on this one both routes start in the same direction on the same road.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I am probably going to give up on this now as it's no big deal and no way as far as I can see to correct it. But I must say it's put me off Google maps, something I wouldn't have dreamed of saying for the last 20 years.
I wonder how far it has taken me out of my way over the years.?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back