Goodbye Dometic RMD8505, hello Thetford T2160 (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Even you could do that, a simple straight swap, cap off the gas pipe and pull the link on the CBE distribution unit to give the fridge permanent power.
Errrr hello!!! This is me you’re talking about🤷‍♂️ you lost me at “link on the distribution unit”🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🙄
Once you’ve explained and shown me a dozen times I’ll have a crack at it, Gas, plumbing, NO problem, electrics it’s a dark art😁😁

Sep 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
Adria 590SG
My absorption fridge/freezer is 4 years old and I’ve never been happy with it. I installed extraction fans (which worked well) and replaced the heat sink paste. Despite this I found the freezer temperature varied considerably (probably because the thermostat is in the fridge). The freezer wasn’t cold enough for ice cream or keeping some foods cold enough. I didn’t like the fridge at the bottom as I had to get on my hands and knees to access food at the back of the bottom shelf. I didn’t like the way the freezer food had to be packed. The fridge took a long time to get down to temperature and cooling was very uneven.

Well, the cooling unit at the back gave up. The cost of replacing it, assuming you can still get them (which would involve removing the fridge/freezer), was the excuse I needed to ditch the RMD8505.

I’ve replaced it with a Thetford T2160 compressor fridge/freezer. It has the same external dimensions as the RMD8505 so is a straight swap. The fridge is at the top, it has an internal fan, the interior light that actually shows what’s in the fridge and it comes with a full set of shelves (unlike the RMD8505). The 3 star freezer is a pullout drawer, making it easier to pack and access food, and it is cold enough for storing ice cream! I was concerned about the noise it might make but it hasn’t woken us up. The cost of it is significantly cheaper than the Dometic replacement (which I believe is a different size requiring modifications to the cabinet).

I wish I’d done this change a long time ago.

It uses about 45Ah over 24 hours. I have 210Ah of LiFePO4 (2 x Fogstar 105Ah), 240W solar, 30A B2B (Votronic VCC 1212-30). So far, so good.

I will be posting some Dometic fridge/freezer items for sale over the next few days.

View attachment 812236 View attachment 812237 View attachment 812238 View attachment 812239 View attachment 812240 View attachment 812241 View attachment 812242 View attachment 812243 View attachment 812245 View attachment 812246
Hi,
Great article. I am on my second Dometic RMD8505 fridge-freezer in 7 years and like you wish I had replaced it years ago! Looking at Thetfords it looked like the T2160 was the nearest replacement, however based on Thetford and Dometic measurements the T2160 is 2mm wider than the RMD8505 and the RMD8505 is rather tight in my motorhome's housing. Do you remember how tight your Dometic was in the housing of your motorhome? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Stratford on Avon.

OP
OP
StillGoing
Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
Hi,
Great article. I am on my second Dometic RMD8505 fridge-freezer in 7 years and like you wish I had replaced it years ago! Looking at Thetfords it looked like the T2160 was the nearest replacement, however based on Thetford and Dometic measurements the T2160 is 2mm wider than the RMD8505 and the RMD8505 is rather tight in my motorhome's housing. Do you remember how tight your Dometic was in the housing of your motorhome? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Stratford on Avon.
The Dometic was a tight fit. The Thetford was about the same. I’m not far from you so happy for you to have a look at my motorhome. Please message me.

We’re currently touring Spain and Portugal. Loving the Thetford. It’s so much better than the Dometic. Hot weather is not a problem for it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back