Going to France for first time (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

RobPullen

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 707
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020 - previously in campers
I
Going to France and maybe Spain in Septemeber, would anyone recomend buying one or maybe two 12v fans, or will it have cooled down by then.
If like me, you love the hot weather (30degress+) but hate being sticky hot in the MH, then mini fans are essential! I even use them at Easter in France on sunny days sometimes when we are there skiing!
Currently have four in the van, clip on 3 speed and USB rechargeable. Last at least a full night on the lowest setting when fully charged. Gives enough movement of the air to take the uncomfortableness away.
Cost about £15 off Amazon, can probably send the link if you want it. Definitely on my list of must haves!

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I’d highlight one thing RobPullen said, because it’s worth spelling it out.

Don’t use the Aires on the motorways, too many people have had their vans damaged and broken into.

You can use the apps to pull off the motorways to spend a night while travelling to where you want to go, or just wander, as we’ve spent the last six weeks doing 👍
Hang on, if you have a lot of cash and a Rolex or two then motorway aires are the places to stop(y)

Just wear a gas mask.

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2011
Funster No
New memberg. Gto France for the first time. Ferries and sites booked. What do I need to take I to consideration and where can I find helpful information
Hi there! We have just come back from an 8 week trek to France. I agree with the advice from the Caravan Club and/or Motorhome Club. Also Wandering Bird blog has lots of useful information. You can buy a kit from Halfords for everything you need for France/Europe including taking some disposable breathalysers, which is law. If you are a big vehicle you will need Angles Morts stickers (available from Amazon) and you will need a first aid kit. We always take some gaffer tape to repair something that will break en route! Our rear number plate fell off this time so I stuck some tape and wrote our number on it to make us legal! Take a tool box with a selection of tools, fuses, lightbulbs, needle and thread. I found this very good bathroom sealant tape from Amazon which I was able to secure our fridge and freezers when the locks, inevitably broke. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CTCH4HK4?tag=mhf04-21. It stuck very securely and then came off easily without any residue!. Also tie down straps and pull in your awning if the rain is expected to be very harsh. We met someone who left theirs out and it flipped over the roof damaging a roof light and front of the vehicle. Sat Nav for motorhomes are better than ones for cars and saves you being guided down small narrow lanes. Also an up to date map, just in case the Sat Nav gets it wrong! If you are travelling far you will need to use the tolls. France is bigger than you will expect! We found it easier doing contactless payment, but the odd one only accepts currency. I have a whole list of places to stay and why. Happy to share with you. If you have joined Passion France you can stay at farms and vineyard for nothing! You are expected to see what they produce with no obligation to buy, but you generally do. Occasionally they can not accept you for reasons such as weddings or funerals, but you are just polite and move on and find somewhere else. Don't take any of the prohibited foods, although you can bring stuff back! Have a fabulous time!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
This is the rough plan...booked two nights at Port de Plaisance for the kids...then off we go! If you can recommend any swimming spots along there I will add them! Thanks 🥰

View attachment 932823
Unfortunately I havent done many up north but following the young Seine and Mesni, which appears on your map would see you well. There are a few beaches around the lake at Mesnil which seems to appear on your map.
This is an interactive map I created of the Wild Swimming Edition 2 which I can allow others to view, as long as I am satisfied (via pm) that you have purchased the book, as I have no intention of doing Daniel Smart out of revenue, so you can see how many spots there are to swim at, many of which it is possible to stay overnight at, and lots of them are free

1723041770127.png

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Going to France and maybe Spain in Septemeber, would anyone recomend buying one or maybe two 12v fans, or will it have cooled down by then.
Both our fans are highly likely to be in use overnight via USB port, as well as refrigerated pillows and our new neck fans from Temu. We are off for nearly the whole of September heading Provence and I would anticipate using them most nights

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
ou can buy a kit from Halfords for everything you need for France/Europe including taking some disposable breathalysers, which is law.
Unfortunately incorrect, I firmly believe the law has been repealed, but if it is still in place the fine for not having a disposable breathalyser is zero euros. It has never been enforced and I also believe it was created by the politician owner of the breathalyser company. Halfords and others (ferry and eurotunnel) need you to believe that it is the law to have one as they have so many excess to sell.
Never had one

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
If you’re going in September (think I read this was the case) then you shouldn’t need to book. Download Park4night app and use that to find aires or CCPs to stay. That also has the advantage that you can switch direction of the weather doesn’t play ball.
I’m trying to think back to our first trips to France - beaches, rivers, lakes and curly slides were all hits. Breakfasts - coffee/hot chocolate for kids and baguettes or fresh pastries. Lunches, baguettes and picnics … or eat out on a fixed price menu - no late lunches aim for 12pm. Markets - start early and are often clearing away by lunchtime.
Above all enjoy - I love France! 🇫🇷💕

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
If going Dover Calais oiir Le Shuttle, avoid aires/shops near Calais.
Conduisez à droite.
We are not long back from France. We finished with 3 very pleasant nights in Calais, staying in the campsite by the marina; there is a Camping-Car-Park next door. The seafront has been very well upgraded in the last few years, and you mustn’t miss the mechanical dragon.

There is not a lot in the traditional town apart from a lot of good restaurants in the square. The Cité d’Europe is quite safe for shopping now; I recommend the 3 Brasseurs restaurant (own brewery and local style food) at the opposite end to Carrefour.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
New memberg. Gto France for the first time. Ferries and sites booked. What do I need to take I to consideration and where can I find helpful information
Oh another thing which is very handy to have, A Monzo Bank or Revolut bank card, keep the cards in Euros, or both on one card, can change them back to sterling at the press of a button, And using them on your phone app, you can use the facility of disposable or virtual cards, which are handy when filling at fuel stations etc, in case of copy machines, can't fault them so far, great rates, If you join using the links below we both benefit with a few freebees, here are the links to sign up for the Monzo Bank: https://join.monzo.com/c/tkgpnbn or the Revolut Bank sign up page https://revolut.com/referral/?referral-code=robertmsrm!AUG1-24-AR P.S. Anyone else can use these links too, if they these bank cards.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Really? It states on my licence that I wear glasses and was told the rule still applies. Same for flying.
In my license too, and you need to wear them to drive, but what I mean is that it's not mandatory to have spare glasses in the car anymore. It was a few years back, not now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Choose which direction you want to head in once you get off the ferry and just enjoy it, much more pleasurable than touring in Britain. Use park4night or Search for sights and you won’t go wrong.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
No unfortunately... it's their home. But there is a France passion location in Chenas..🇨🇵💓

Upvote 0
Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
Lots of good info on here already but no you don't need breathalysers. Haven't for many a year .
Do think about getting some form of bip and go gizmo for tolls , I use Ulys at present.
Stopping on motorway Aires is often handy and , depending on location, not a problem. Common sense is a wonderful tool

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Be aware a lot food in France is seasonal.
Although not as seasonal as it used to be.
We went in May/June and shock!!! they were selling haricot vert (green beans) that had been flown in from Kenya.
Second shock, they were selling Polish mushrooms!
They'll be asking questions in Parliament.

Upvote 0
Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
Although not as seasonal as it used to be.
We went in May/June and shock!!! they were selling haricot vert (green beans) that had been flown in from Kenya.
Second shock, they were selling Polish mushrooms!
They'll be asking questions in Parliament.
If you want a wide range of fruit and veg, look for a Grand Frais.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2023
Brisbane QLD, Australia
Funster No
MH
Frankia Exclusiv 740
The only thing not mentioned is the stickers for your headlights.
Have a left hand drive camping car so no issue for us. Yes try the aires they are great. Have been travelling for 4 months with no bookings. Only a couple of full parks.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I

If like me, you love the hot weather (30degress+) but hate being sticky hot in the MH, then mini fans are essential! I even use them at Easter in France on sunny days sometimes when we are there skiing!
Currently have four in the van, clip on 3 speed and USB rechargeable. Last at least a full night on the lowest setting when fully charged. Gives enough movement of the air to take the uncomfortableness away.
Cost about £15 off Amazon, can probably send the link if you want it. Definitely on my list of must haves!
Have a look at this one. Only £20 so worth it for the fan alone but you get 5 water atomisers that give out a cool cloud, doesn't work for the whole van but very effective for about 12 to 18 inches. I set it up for my cockatiel and she seems to like it when she's hot.

Portable Air Cooler - Portable Air Conditioner Small Quiet Personal AC,USB Powered Mini Desktop Cooling Misting Fan, 1/2/3 H Timer, 3 Speeds,360°Adjustment,for Office, Home, Room,Desk,Car - White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CTKH25TG?tag=mhf04-21

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back