Going to France for first time (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Put a little sticker in your eye line saying keep right, or an arrow pointing right.
Roundabouts are easy, but be aware when pulling off and turning right or left that you go on the right side of the road.
Don’t let anyone rush you, ignore tailgaters and chill !
Enjoy
We use Jim

Keep Right Head Up Display which you can find in resources​

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
Have a fabulous time. We have done a mixture of booked sites and Aires. For us first time we found it good to know where we were going to be. Made us feel a little more secure. Often did a couple of nights in each booked site and then maybe an aire either end of the holiday.
Next week we are off for 8 nights with nothing booked at all…😳😳
I would love to do a trip with nothing booked but having two teenagers with us means we need to do some planning.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We are heading to Chenas outside Macon ... friends have a vineyard there.

View attachment 932713

If you’re passing Troyes this Aire would be ideal for you, it’s just a car park with facilities but only a 5 minute walk from beach with loads of activities for the teens, nice restaurant and cafes too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
New memberg. Gto France for the first time. Ferries and sites booked. What do I need to take I to consideration and where can I find helpful information
If you are not familiar with driving outside the UK, there is a rule that might take you by surprise. If the junction is not clearly unambiguously marked with a stop or give way sign, then the rule is: "Give way to the vehicle on the right".

It doesn't matter that you think it's stupid, or that there are better ways to do it, the fact is, that is the rule, and people stick to the rule.

For example, suppose you are driving along a straight road, and there is a road junction to the right. A vehicle approaching the junction along the other road has priority, and you have to stop to let him turn left or right onto the straight road.

All the major roads and motorways have a 'Yellow Diamond' sign that says that this rule doesn't apply, and all junctions onto these roads will have big stop signs.

However if you go off the major roads into towns and villages, and in the last mile or two to your campsite, this rule will apply, so watch out.

In French it's called 'Priorite a droite', (= priority to the right), and you might see a sign with a black cross and these words on some town approaches.

The classic example of this rule is the big roundabout in the centre of Paris, around the Arc de Triomphe, where this rule is definitely applies, and uninformed Brits look on in horror at the apparent chaos and danger, while the French just get on with it.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just go and don't worry about it not with booking anything in France just amble along no shortage of places to stop thousands of Aires & wild spots no need to use sites.
. Once you have been to France you will never want to use the van in the UK again.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
As we are taking two teenagers with us it's nice to be able to do a couple of sites with pools but this time I would love to take them wild swimming...
Which region ? We have done a fair bit of wild swimming. If you get chance buy the book "Wild Swimming in France" Edition 2. We have planned several holidays from this book since buying the first edition over a decade ago. its our Bible

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
All the major roads and motorways have a 'Yellow Diamond' sign that says that this rule doesn't apply, and all junctions onto these roads will have big stop signs.
Forgot to say, there's another sign, a Yellow Diamond with a black diagonal line through it. Watch out - it means that the area where the rule doesn't apply has ended, and the rule now applies.

Often seen at roundabouts. Because on roundabouts in Europe, you give way to traffic from the left, which is already on the roundabout.

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have a supply of €1.00 coins. You’ll need these for shopping trolleys and to use toilets at some motorway services. They have a system in some where you pay €1.00 for a ticket on entry to toilet which is redeemable against purchases. So in other words use loo first then buy coffee. Have great time, try the savoury galettes, marvel at the choice on offer at a E.Leclerc hypermarket, obviously get your baguettes every day and enjoy the weather.

Upvote 0
Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
New memberg. Gto France for the first time. Ferries and sites booked. What do I need to take I to consideration and where can I find helpful information
Depending on your level of french, get a basic phrase book, any attempt to speak french is usually appreciated, and depending where you are, often with a reply in english or at least an attempt in english.
Speaking slow, or even worse slow loud english, is more likely that you will receive a blank look, even if the person can speak some english.

Upvote 0
Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
Have a supply of €1.00 coins. You’ll need these for shopping trolleys and to use toilets at some motorway services. They have a system in some where you pay €1.00 for a ticket on entry to toilet which is redeemable against purchases. So in other words use loo first then buy coffee. Have great time, try the savoury galettes, marvel at the choice on offer at a E.Leclerc hypermarket, obviously get your baguettes every day and enjoy the weather.
If you don't have a euro for the shopping trolly at a supermarket , go to the reception desk (Accueil), and ask for a token. "un jeton pour le chariot s'il vous plaît"

Upvote 0
Aug 14, 2023
Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleff
Exp
New to the game
We've just returned after our first trip too - loved it. We found 'France Passion' gave access to many small farms/vineyards/orchards where you could stay for free often only at the 'cost' of tasting their produce with no obligation to buy. Many enjoyable evenings testing champagne, wine, cheese, calvados etc
You need to join before you leave for France (in theory) so you have the book/membership card with you

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Don’t forget to bring your V5.

I had all sorts of problems getting a new clutch fitted about 15 years ago as I didn’t have it with me.

I had to get a chap from the office to go to my house, find it and then email it to me.

Unfortunately I simply forwarded his email to Green Flag who were organising the repairs and hadn’t realised he had started the email with “Bloody Frogs”.

I got told off by Green Flag for that:giggle:

Upvote 0
Mar 19, 2020
south of France
Funster No
MH
1991 swift kontiki
Exp
4years
As a 24 year resident in France, be very careful in towns and villages, as there is still the priority from the right at a lot of road junctions. Therefore locals just pull out of a side road without considering that you don't know the rule. If you look ahead as you approach junctions if there are broken or solid white lines on the joining road, then you have right of way. Both of my vehicles, I've fitted forward facing cameras that record for up to 30 minutes of video and sound, at least you then have proof........... having said all this please enjoy your trip, most french are very freindly

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2024
Funster No
MH
LWB VW T6.1
Emovis tag - essential

Pay for tolls 2 months after you return.

Just book your first night, then go with the weather.

Shopping, prices are not bad, there is always a Lidl nearby, much nicer than the UK ones.

We use pitch up similar to find proper sights.

Reverse polarity tester plus

French 2 pin adapter for EHU

Warning sign if rear carrier.

Always be polite and smile, 99% of the French will be back to you.

Basic lingo, Bonjour, Merci, s’il vous plaît

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
Which region ? We have done a fair bit of wild swimming. If you get chance buy the book "Wild Swimming in France" Edition 2. We have planned several holidays from this book since buying the first edition over a decade ago. its our Bible
Heading down from Dunkirk to Chenas outside Macon. 🥰

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
As we are taking two teenagers with us it's nice to be able to do a couple of sites with pools but this time I would love to take them wild swimming...

In that case you’ll need a copy of this:

Wild Swimming France: 1000 most beautiful rivers, lakes, waterfalls, hot springs & natural pools of France https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/191063624X?tag=mhf04-21

We’ve recently returned from a near 6 week trip generally following the recommendations in the book and visited the Périgord, Dordogne, Lot, Aveyron, Célé, Gard, Ardèche, Creuse, and other river systems and lakes - plus a ‘run for the sun’ to the coast near Sète when the weather inland turned against us. Many of the locations are also at or near water sports centres, so other activities are catered for.

Le Mas de Riri campsite, Lac du Salagou, Celles, Hérault.
IMG_1474.jpeg

Upvote 0

RobPullen

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 707
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020 - previously in campers
I’d go with all those who are saying, don’t worry about it. We are here now, been coming for many years 5 to 6 weeks at a time. We never book beforehand and find some superb places as we travel on. Look ahead and book for the coming night or two using Camping Car-Park app sometimes and just pop into aires here and there too. Usually find a campsite for a few days here and there, but generally just turn up and ask. We have never struggled to find somewhere to stay. If we don’t like a place, we move on in the morning.
Remember the basics, such as the keep to the right advice and take all your documents, etc with you. Also, remember your van may open on the opposite side to list in France so think about how you are going to park for respectfulness and your own privacy.
Some little aires and camping car-park sites allow free access to municipal swimming pools etc. such as this one… 15-Maurs la Jolie (need CampingCar-park app) and some are old municipal campsites and have shower and sanitary facilities too, usually for about €15 a night.
We also use Camper Contact and Park4Night to find small places that many don’t see. Having bikes or a means of transport for local travel can be a bonus too.
My one tip would be to avoid staying in motorway sites over night. Never feel safe there and know too many people who have either had their vans broken into or been in an uncomfortable situation with potential would be thieves and had to make a hasty exit. You’ll find many small villages fairly near the motorways that have little aires within them for not very much money.
Most importantly just enjoy it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I’d highlight one thing RobPullen said, because it’s worth spelling it out.

Don’t use the Aires on the motorways, too many people have had their vans damaged and broken into.

You can use the apps to pull off the motorways to spend a night while travelling to where you want to go, or just wander, as we’ve spent the last six weeks doing 👍

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back