Glow plug fault. (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hi,
Fiat Ducato 2016, 2.3.
Went to supermarket in it today, all ok.
Got in to go home, glow plug light stayed on flashing for 10 seconds I guess and dashboard message...check flow plugs.
Light went out and no more bother, got home ok.
Hoping it is just a transient but if it persists, can it cause any bother.
I'm guessing it will be ok in fine weather but as soon as it turns cold will have starting bother.
Will sort it before then but we have a trip planned in a couple of weeks.
Does anyone know if I'm likely to have any bother if I leave it alone for now.
Also, how much will be glow plugs, thinking I should probably replace them all at same time. OR, could it be a wiring fault?I
And, is it an easy job replacing them?
Happy Jack.

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
This is a well known issues and nothing to worry about, as long as the light goes out and doesn't stay on full time (MOT failure)
or goes into limp home mode (loss of power) just wait for it to go out or turn the engine on and off

Been happening on mine since I brought and not when it's cold

rwg

Sep 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
Since 2021
Yes, we had similar - the glow plug light would come on when starting, but never the first time that you started the van that day... It only happened when the engine was already warm/hot. The light would flash for a bit and go out with the display showing 'Check Glow Plugs'.

Ours was under 2 years old when it started, so we got Fiat to look at it when it went in for the first service at 2 years. They diagnosed all 4 glow plugs needed replacing and did them under warranty (so I've no idea how much it cost).

During the time that we had the light coming on, the van never failed or struggled to start - even when it was cold...

cheers,

Robin

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
This is a well known issues and nothing to worry about, as long as the light goes out and doesn't stay on full time (MOT failure)
or goes into limp home mode (loss of power) just wait for it to go out or turn the engine on and off

Been happening on mine since I brought and not when it's cold
Will it be ok in cold weather, I'm presuming the relay or one of the plugs isn't working.
Happy Jack.

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Yes, we had similar - the glow plug light would come on when starting, but never the first time that you started the van that day... It only happened when the engine was already warm/hot. The light would flash for a bit and go out with the display showing 'Check Glow Plugs'.

Ours was under 2 years old when it started, so we got Fiat to look at it when it went in for the first service at 2 years. They diagnosed all 4 glow plugs needed replacing and did them under warranty (so I've no idea how much it cost).

During the time that we had the light coming on, the van never failed or struggled to start - even when it was cold...

cheers,

Robin
thanks rwg.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
Had my van for 6yrs now and it's not missed a beat

It just seems to be fault that pops up now and again but never stops or slows the van from starting

Turn the key and the van starts every time and as Robin says never when the van is cold

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
When starting wait on most of the dashboard lights going out and then start. Can't remember which ones stay on until you start

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Tried starting last night, glow plug light went out correctly after few seconds.
Will keep eye on it.
Happy Jack.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back