Globecar Warranty - hab service help (3 Viewers)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Line 2 of the” warranty says “advisable ..................to assert any warranty claim”
So if no check probably say you can’t assert your warranty .
Crap wording isn't it! I had a chat to the dealer about it when I talked to him about my control panel (see other thread) and he said the manual needs rewriting as it hasn't been done for a while but did confirm that a check is required :( - it doesn't matter to them as they won't be doing it so no 'financial interest' in saying so.

Whats the are the things that can fail that you could’t fix?
Fridge, heater. Is the risk worth it? How often do they fail in first two years.?
Equipment has it's own warranty anyway, eg our fridge has been replaced and comes with it's own warranty (3 years), heater warranty duration I'm not sure about so would need to check, hob is 2 years I think. As our control panel has just gone 'daft' that'll be replaced so will have it's own warranty, can't recall what warranty the electroblock has so all in all not a lot of expensive kit to go wrong.

However, if the cost of a hab isn't gonna be a massive amount we're probably gonna have it done - we have been told we can use an AWS place rather than a Globecar dealer and have quite a few 'service only' people round here o choose from (ie they don't sell MHs so none of the "you didn't buy from us so go away" attitude). We have a couple of months to get it done so shouldn't be a problem getting it booked in (must be done no later than 2 months from first registration which was 1st April).

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
There are other important things about the service (if thorough) Not just warranty.

1, You have a large investment in your van, a fully stamped hab check history helps you maximize the resell value.
2, You have a duty of care to users and neighbors around a vehicle with potentially dangerous equipment, Gas, Co etc
3, You can reduce the chance of a faulty component, fridge, cooker, heating etc by noticing issues early.
4, finding issues early can save you money in the long run
5, Peace of mind.
6, Legal protection if the van had an issue that caused injury or death.

Sure there are more.
I'm a competent DIYer but still have a habitation service done by a professional.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Managed to get a hab service booked with local independent AWS chap on 10 April as he's had a cancellation and being mobile means he will come to us so no having to go there, leave the camper/hang around whilst its done which is good - the cost is £140 which includes a full hab check, damp inspection and also a full gas check (even though it's not needed until the end of year 2):

https://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/fmcaravansmobile

Although the dealer has agreed to let me source a new control panel for our camper (see other thread), with the hab being done soon the service chap will note the faulty on the hab report so the dealer will be able to submit it to Globecar to get a new one via them so the CP should have the Globecar logo on. (y) It will saves us and the dealer messing about although I'll still fit the new one. :)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hubby's just emailed me with the time of the hab service and said it's 11th April, not 10th which I'm sure he told me at lunchtime today... I hope he's got it right! :D

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Update:

As mentioned above we already had a fault with our control panel develop a month or so ago, then yesterday, whilst getting the van tidy for the hab check chap, hubby found that the pump no longer worked. We assume that either the control panel fault has caused this maybe by having the pump 'live' even when the panel was turned off (no taps had been left open to burn it out), or the pump has just decided to join the panel and go kaput! I suspect the former.

Upshot is that the hab chap fitted a new 12v pump so he could test the systems properly and we've bought it off him (£10) so we can at least use the camper if we want to. We'll have to get a replacement for the original from the dealer/Globecar which I'll fit and then keep this new one as a spare as it's not quite as powerful as the original. Oh well ... another little job for me! :rolleyes:

The hab check itself took nearly 2 hours as he was very thorough which included the damp check and gas test, everything 'passed' except the panel and pump.

He liked the camper and the mods I'd done especially the little gas bottle access hatch I put in with the kitchen door handle on to make it easier to turn ... he's got a similar hatch in his Bongo camper and struggles to get the hatch cover off so he's gonna put a handle on his! He was also rather taken with the new model 12v only fridge and is thinking of putting a small one in his camper as they are much more efficient than the older ones and also add some solar to keep it running as he knows they are fairly power hungry.

He was also talking with hubby about the 'smell' we get when using the Truma combi boiler to heat water, apparently these models don't have as much air flow as some others so the casing tend to get hotter which is why we get the plastic smell, it's still safe to use just not an ideal design, but at least we know the reason for it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back