Glass Etching (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo
Hiya

Had a local guy doing the rounds offering to etch the reg number on all the glass on the van

Thinking about getting VIN instead as may get personalised plate in the future

Any thoughts either way why etching is or isn't a good idea?

Cheers

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
If the vehicle is stolen and broken up it may help.
Our Hymer had all its glass etched from new by original owner, which wouldn’t help now as it’s on a personal plate!

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
If the vehicle is stolen and broken up it may help.
Our Hymer had all its glass etched from new by original owner, which wouldn’t help now as it’s on a personal plate!
But it would still be traceable though !

I have the reg plate done in foot high vinyl letters on the roof.
(Like police cars and some busses)
It means that the reg can be read on every overhead gantry, and even by drones/helicopters (and if they have access, satellites)

It was a member of Motorhome Fun that offered the service to make the Vinyl plate for the roof.

What is interesting is here is my van on google earth

1725564022607.png

I can make out the white 6" roof vents and even the black book on the dashboard,
yet the foot high letters of the number plate that should be to the left if the little roof window (about 12x12") on the left are invisible.
I presume this is Google using the same software as used elsewhere to obscure lettering.

FYI: The middle black panel is the solar, the front black panel is the Helki wind up roof vent. and the round thing is the satellite dish

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We have our vehicles window etched with reg number. Not very expensive and every little helps.

Upvote 0

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
But it would still be traceable though !

I have the reg plate done in foot high vinyl letters on the roof.
(Like police cars and some busses)
It means that the reg can be read on every overhead gantry, and even by drones/helicopters (and if they have access, satellites)

It was a member of Motorhome Fun that offered the service to make the Vinyl plate for the roof.

What is interesting is here is my van on google earth

View attachment 945173

I can make out the white 6" roof vents and even the black book on the dashboard,
yet the foot high letters of the number plate that should be to the left if the little roof window (about 12x12") on the left are invisible.
I presume this is Google using the same software as used elsewhere to obscure lettering.

FYI: The middle black panel is the solar, the front black panel is the Helki wind up roof vent. and the round thing is the satellite dish

The bots at Google Earth blur out registration numbers (and faces), so that might be the reason you can't see your reg :)

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
I thought CRIS numbers only applied to caravans?

No. Their website isn't as good as it should be, but they do a growing number of motorhomes.

If you look at the vin-chip section, it has a section on motorhomes.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I wonder if there are any stats to suggest that theives choose vehicles without etching a vin/ chip in preference or if visual deterrents like wheel clamps steering wheel locks etc are more effective? I suspect it might depend where the stolen ones are going if they're being broken for parts it wouldn't seem to matter if they're etched etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
No. Their website isn't as good as it should be, but they do a growing number of motorhomes.

If you look at the vin-chip section, it has a section on motorhomes.
A bit different on caravans as they don't have their own registration no. or DVLA record of the registered keeper motorhomes already have those and a vin

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
I wonder if there are any stats to suggest that theives choose vehicles without etching a vin/ chip in preference or if visual deterrents like wheel clamps steering wheel locks etc are more effective? I suspect it might depend where the stolen ones are going if they're being broken for parts it wouldn't seem to matter if they're etched etc

I try to do both, plus alarm, tracker etc - layered protection.

Whether it does any good, I don't know. Probably deters the amateur or opportunist, but as we all know, the professional will probably always get in.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I try to do both, plus alarm, tracker etc - layered protection.

Whether it does any good, I don't know. Probably deters the amateur or opportunist, but as we all know, the professional will probably always get in.
As you say all you can do is make a different one more attractive! But for people not wanting or able to go to the expense of all those measures it could be useful to know how each affect the likelihood of getting your van nicked .

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back