German equivalent of the HSE .

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Do any members have any knowledge/experience of the German equivalent of the UK's HSE? In particular relating to the need for height restriction signage on a public highway or in my instance a petrol filling station.
In simple terms. If there is a low level obstruction preventing clear access to a petrol pump, should that obstruction have height restriction and or warning signs stating the height?
Should there be notices prohibiting the use of the pump by vehicles over a certain height?
I've read the HSE guidelines on this but am unable find any written statement in German.
Any written facts appreciated.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
If there is a low level obstruction preventing clear access to a petrol pump, should that obstruction have height restriction and or warning signs stating the height?
Common sense would say it should have warning signs.
It needs reporting to the garage operator and get their response.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
As far as I’m aware their safety is done through occ health in Germany, not sure if it covers roads signs and warnings. Would this not be covered by their Highway Code or similar.

OP
OP
T
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Oh I reported, just after I hit it.
They have now sent me a bill to repair it. Damage included. A dislodged end cap that I would have refitted had they lent me some steps and an 18 inch scratch to the front fascia member. Total 570 euros. :X3:

OP
OP
T
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
As far as I’m aware their safety is done through occ health in Germany, not sure if it covers roads signs and warnings. Would this not be covered by their Highway Code or similar.
Looked but cant find anything

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil Terrestra
Exp
Since 2004
if it was under 4m and is somewhere a HGV might venture it should be signed under EU regulations. I can't find the reference, but that is the situation. If they bar HGV's from that route through the filling station, you possibly have less of a claim.

Clearly they have to take some of the responsibility, as they do not bar overheight vehicles. Were it me, I would send half what they have asked for as a reasonable share of the responsibility. However, if it damaged your van, I would be sending them an invoice for the repair cost without comment on their bill.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
You need to contact the German TUV (Technical Inspection Association). They are regional, so you need to find the address of the TUV in the area this incident occurred.

The TUV are responsible for all technical systems and facilities, and it's highly likely it would cover the facility you mention. Most Germans are scared stiff of the TUV.

A long time ago whilst serving in Germany a dealer fitted an accessory wrongly to my vehicle. He refused to change it even though I knew he was wrong, a d there was a lot of money involved. I told him I was taking the vehicle to the TUV for inspection, and in a flash he did a 180 and everything changed. I don't think he expected a non-German to know about the TUV.

They have a website, look them up. I think they are your best bet. In the meantime, tell the garage that you have the relevant photographs, and are contacting the TUV to ask them to complete an inspection of their facility. See what happens.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
T
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I wouldn't have given any personal details and told them to shove it.
No choice, they called the police and reported my registration number. Don't worry I told them where to go at the time.

OP
OP
T
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
if it was under 4m and is somewhere a HGV might venture it should be signed under EU regulations. I can't find the reference, but that is the situation. If they bar HGV's from that route through the filling station, you possibly have less of a claim.

Clearly they have to take some of the responsibility, as they do not bar overheight vehicles. Were it me, I would send half what they have asked for as a reasonable share of the responsibility. However, if it damaged your van, I would be sending them an invoice for the repair cost without comment on their bill.
I have a slight scuff to the front left corner. I have thought of counter claiming for the repair which would include removal and refitting of solar panels, satellite dish and roof vents to allow repaint.
I don't want to send part payment as I would then then admitting liability which to date I have denied.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back