Generator (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
DucatoEriba 2.8 2003
Hi all.i am new to the forum and really look forward to future sharing and chats.

I have an old fiat 2.8 Ducato eriba .
Please can somebody advise on a good value generator that will operate fridge and electrics etc . Would a 3500watt do the trick ??
An odd stop off grid will be on the cards periodically and I am heading south west France/ southern Spain this oct..
I am an absolute novice with this stuff so any advice would be really welcomed .

Thank you again for having me on the forum

Regards all
David

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
:hiya2: :birthday:

That would be a massive generator. Fridge, lights, tv would run happily on 1kw. Heating would be another story.

Generators are a controversial subject on here due to the annoyance of those who may be nearby. Many would suggest you invest in lithium batteries and plenty of solar power.

OP
OP
tapdave
Sep 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
DucatoEriba 2.8 2003
Many thanks for the reply and welcomes ..
Ok as I said I am a total newbie and advice is welcomed .
I will take a look at all suggestions.

Thank you .
David

OP
OP
tapdave
Sep 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
DucatoEriba 2.8 2003
Jev88. Thankyou.

Gas ? My fridge and water run of gas . I need electric to run the gas ?
God I know I haven’t a clue have I? .. I have solar that runs lights but it’s basic power .
Help!!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi David. Welcome 👍

The only power supply to run the gas fridge is a minuscule amount of 12v .

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
There is a 12V starter battery battery that does all the vehicle functions - starting the engine, vehicle lights, wipers etc. There is a 12V leisure battery that does all the habitation functions - interior lights, water pump, etc. The leisure battery also powers the fridge control board, and the space heater and water heater controls. The main power for heating, water heating and fridge cooling comes from gas. You can park in the middle of a field, with no mains hookup or generator, and still have lights, stay warm, have a hot shower and a chilled beer. No 240V mains required at all.

If you are on a site with 240V hookup, the main thing that happens is that there is a 240V-powered mains charger that charges the leisure battery, and keeps it topped up. But in addition there are a few extras. The 240V main sockets will work (they don't work when not plugged into hookup). Also the fridge will work on 240V to save your gas. And the space heater and water heater may or may not have 240V heater elements to assist the gas heating and save gas too.

When the engine is running, the fridge switches over to 12V, powered by the alternator, which also charges both the starter and leisure batteries. That's usually the only time that the fridge runs on 12V. It takes quite a lot of power and would flatten a leisure battery in a few hours, so it's hardly ever run on 12V when the engine is stopped.

If you have solar panels, they will charge the leisure battery. If you are lucky they will trickle-charge the starter battery, but many motorhomes require fitting a battery maintainer powered from the leisure battery to keep the starter battery topped up.

To spend a longer time off-grid, with no mains hookup, it's a good idea to increase the leisure battery capacity - more batteries, and/or lithium batteries instead of lead-acid types. Also some extra solar panels will refill the batteries if the weather permits. Many motorhomes with extra batteries and solar panels can last indefinitely without a mains hookup connection. Generators are rarely required, except for a run of bad weather in the depths of winter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tapdave
Sep 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
DucatoEriba 2.8 2003
Autoroutier & Phil D.

Absolutely brilliant . I’ve been having sleepless nights .
So grateful for the comprehensive detail. ..

Kindest and thanks again.

David

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
I have solar that runs lights but it’s basic power .
Solar doesn't 'run' the lights. The battery does that and the Solar recharges the battery.

I do a lot of off grid. I use Gas for the fridge and heating/hot water. I have 2 leisure batteries that run all the 12 volt stuff - lighting, fan for heater, electronics for fridge and heating, USB sockets for charging devices like phones, tablets. We also have a inverter for running any 240 volt stuff - computer, hair dryer, recharging electric bikes.

With 2 solar panels of 175 watt each recharging the batteries we can be off grid pretty much permanently in the summer with no need for a Generator. I must admit earlier this year when camping at the Le Mans 24 hr race Generators were pretty annoying and unnecessary for the most part.

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
There is a 12V starter battery battery that does all the vehicle functions - starting the engine, vehicle lights, wipers etc. There is a 12V leisure battery that does all the habitation functions - interior lights, water pump, etc. The leisure battery also powers the fridge control board, and the space heater and water heater controls. The main power for heating, water heating and fridge cooling comes from gas. You can park in the middle of a field, with no mains hookup or generator, and still have lights, stay warm, have a hot shower and a chilled beer. No 240V mains required at all.

If you are on a site with 240V hookup, the main thing that happens is that there is a 240V-powered mains charger that charges the leisure battery, and keeps it topped up. But in addition there are a few extras. The 240V main sockets will work (they don't work when not plugged into hookup). Also the fridge will work on 240V to save your gas. And the space heater and water heater may or may not have 240V heater elements to assist the gas heating and save gas too.

When the engine is running, the fridge switches over to 12V, powered by the alternator, which also charges both the starter and leisure batteries. That's usually the only time that the fridge runs on 12V. It takes quite a lot of power and would flatten a leisure battery in a few hours, so it's hardly ever run on 12V when the engine is stopped.

If you have solar panels, they will charge the leisure battery. If you are lucky they will trickle-charge the starter battery, but many motorhomes require fitting a battery maintainer powered from the leisure battery to keep the starter battery topped up.

To spend a longer time off-grid, with no mains hookup, it's a good idea to increase the leisure battery capacity - more batteries, and/or lithium batteries instead of lead-acid types. Also some extra solar panels will refill the batteries if the weather permits. Many motorhomes with extra batteries and solar panels can last indefinitely without a mains hookup connection. Generators are rarely required, except for a run of bad weather in the depths of winter.

What a great reply to a newbie, autorouter - and also for those with a little more knowledge! Thank you.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016

This an excellent simple explanation of the basic electrical motorhome functions and should be 'pinned' somewhere on Fun. It answers so many of the beginner queries seen repeatedly on here. 👏

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
What a great rely to a newbie, autorouter - and also for those with a little more knowledge! Thank you.
Agreed, and if it isn't already it might be useful in Jim's 'Motorhome Buyer's Guide' as there seem to be frequent posts from anxious first-timers who have no awareness at all or understanding of what powers what and when.
I've come to the conclusion that running a m/h would be be a steep learning curve for anyone without a basic tool kit or unfamiliar with 230v and 12v systems, chargers, fridges, water heaters, plumbing, LPG gas systems and a bit of carpentry thrown in.
(Fortunately most of the older generation has developed some or most of these skills through having to do their own car and household maintenance and repairs due to financial necessity - admittedly much of today's equipment is either unrepairable due to electronic control technology, their 'disposable' design, or there's an unavailability of replacement parts).

Ah, I see that Itsmcb wrote much the same whilst I was typing (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
If still looking for a generator, honda are the benchmark when it comes to quality (bit like bikes!)

Solar and more storage/batteries is a good investment too.

Something like this would do you fine. Just be careful with the exhaust fumes….

OP
OP
tapdave
Sep 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
DucatoEriba 2.8 2003
Many thanks all again .
Highly informative thread for me that has been extremely eye opening and most helpful and yes as has been highlighted it’s a steep learning curve for a newbie.. strooth ! your not kidding’

Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Many thanks all again .
Highly informative thread for me that has been extremely eye opening and most helpful and yes as has been highlighted it’s a steep learning curve for a newbie.. strooth ! your not kidding’
As you have found there is a wealth of knowledge on this site.
You've used your 5 free posts, if you pay the £20 membership fee it will be the best £20 you will spend.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back