Gel v AGM

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Building a PVC
I had AGM's for best part of 7 years without any problems.

I recently upgraded to Lithium partly due to weight and partly due to the ability to use more of the available capacity but it's a balance of budget and technology.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with AGM as long as you don't ever take them below 50% capacity.

Mine never went close to that, but I'm doing a new build which is going to be much more weight oriented so Lithium (despite being expensive) made sense.

I'm actually quite surprised to be reading some of the 'issues' that people have had.

I never experienced anything remotely similar.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer 522 Van
Exp
Since 2021
I’d get lithium if I was building my van now.
Especially as the new eco drift looks a good price.
Hopefully my AGM will last another yr or 2, as I don’t run them down much lower than 85%.
Always the optimist
Lowest my AGM has been is 60% soc. This was a new battery on May 2023. Have 100w solar dual mppt controller so battery always topped up. No problems so far, even been off grid for 4 consecutive days without issue. But when gives up I will be looking at ECO tree drop in Lithium.

OP
OP
B
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
I have a pair of AGM under the seat. It came with a single but that died after approx one year and was swapped under warranty. I changed it to a dual fit and it’s been fine since. Wouldn’t dream of using them as Leisure though. They were introduced about the same time as stop start and Smart Alternators and are best left to being connected to that. I have a pair of Lithium in the back. 100Ah each with 100Ah discharge rate.. 25mm cable to the inverter and 16mm to the charger and MPPT.

The ability of Lithium to give a consistent output all the way means more security knowing sunny or cloudy you’ll get power for your fridge and heater.
I may be misunderstanding you here, but what sort of heating are you using? Even a 1kw heater will take over 80A at 12V, so allowing for inverter losses, surely both batteries would be flat in a couple of hours.

OP
OP
B
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
If your decision is to stick with lead and save yourself the expense of changing chargers etc I am selling a 4 module BOS LE300 lithium extension battery (112 Ah) ‘nearly new’. Designed to work with a lead battery and provide many of the advantages of a full lithium set-up. If you are not aware or familiar with the product just google it and get in touch if of interest.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm endeavouring to keep things simple!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Too many bad stories with agm, I haven’t heard any about gels, I think…

Are the go to gels but just noticed how much they have gone up from when I bought a couple of years ago 😱 at that price I’d consider going lithium…..🤔

Quoted at £500

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

Quoted at £500

Typical £350 mark up… they should be ashamed asking for that amount of money…

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back