gas oven just takes too long (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 17, 2022
Cadwell Park Circuit, Cawkwell, Louth, UK
Funster No
MH
burstner argos
Hi Forum
Well i’m here at latitude festival
and the bin lid wants chicken nuggets n chips, we are in camper with a domestic gas cooker, I never known one of these cookers
get any heat we are now at 40 minutes on a 20 minute dish and they maybe defrosted!
anything can be done to make cooking on gas achievable?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
They are generally pretty bad. A few people have dramatically improved performance by taking the oven out of the cabinet and wrapping it in a ceramic fibre thermal blanket. Apparently it should be fitted this way, but many converters don't bother.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Never used a motorhome/caravan oven in 40 years!
Heavy bottomed frying pan (we boss uses cast aluminium) with the lid on,on low,so basically an oven,move stuff regularly job done 👍

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
We use ours (Dometic) to warm up stuff. It works but it slow and uneven. You can easily burn stuff at the back near the flames and find it luke warm near the door. It requires regular monitoring and turning around of the food. Generally we cook on the hob or BBQ.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
They are generally pretty bad. A few people have dramatically improved performance by taking the oven out of the cabinet and wrapping it in a ceramic fibre thermal blanket. Apparently it should be fitted this way, but many converters don't bother.

As we use our oven quite a lot, I add ceramic fibre thermal insulation around our previously poorly performing Thetford oven 3 or 4 years ago, and it's performance now is pretty well on a par with our oven at home. (y)

The other thing I have done, is I have rapped a slab of ceramic fibre thermal insulation in aluminium ducting tape, and we place this in the base of the grill compartment when using the oven to help stop the heat escaping as there is little to no insulation between the oven ceiling and the gill compartment

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2014
Middle-Of-Nowhere, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
Hi Forum
Well i’m here at latitude festival
and the bin lid wants chicken nuggets n chips, we are in camper with a domestic gas cooker, I never known one of these cookers
get any heat we are now at 40 minutes on a 20 minute dish and they maybe defrosted!
anything can be done to make cooking on gas achievable?

YES ! .....

Step 1 = Cut the gas pipe leading to the oven

Step 2 = Turn the Oven on

Step 3 = Stand well back outside the van

Step 4 = Throw a lit match through the open van door

Step 5 = Run like Gump

Step 6 = Go and buy your food from a take-away, then sit around the camp fire musing over what might have been. ;) :LOL:

OP
OP
bobupanddown
Apr 17, 2022
Cadwell Park Circuit, Cawkwell, Louth, UK
Funster No
MH
burstner argos
Thanks for all the advice, except for that provided by Bobbejaan ! 😂
My aim here is to as self efficient as possible, i have 600a of lithium, solar, B2B, and good 2500w inverter charger, i have used this to power microwave or air fryer
And we do use bbq a lot (ended up cooking the kids nuggets and chips in it the other night)
But if i have this big old oven taking up real estate it needs to do its job giving some energy source options?!
So i’ll be looking at greased hinges and installing insulation
can you tell me what if the goal with the grease, is it to block airflow around the fittings ?
i’m guessing the fitting of insulation will be self explanatory when i’ve got the oven out ?
i’ll do the work then report back after the next nugget cooking
at flamingo land in a couple of weeks
best regards bob

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
My aim here is to as self efficient as possible, i have 600a of lithium, solar, B2B, and good 2500w inverter charger, i have used this to power microwave or air fryer
And we do use bbq a lot (ended up cooking the kids nuggets and chips in it the other night)
But if i have this big old oven taking up real estate it needs to do its job giving some energy source options?!
So i’ll be looking at greased hinges and installing insulation
can you tell me what if the goal with the grease, is it to block airflow around the fittings ?
i’m guessing the fitting of insulation will be self explanatory when i’ve got the oven out ?
i’ll do the work then report back after the next nugget cooking
at flamingo land in a couple of weeks
best regards bob
No it’s used on the hinges so it opens and closes freely, if it’s stiff it can hold off shutting the door completely, and the heat doesn’t affect the drying out of the grease👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I have a Smev oven in my Hymer and it works fine, it goes up to gas mark 6 which is hot enough for most things, I have an airfryer oven as well for if i'm on hookup and want to save gas or if I need to cook more then one thing at different temperatures.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Our gas hob is a standalone unit to our oven, which sits below.
By removing our hob, I was able to gain access to the sides and rear of our oven, and pack the space with layers of 25mm thick ceramic fibre thermal insulation, which I held in place with self-adhesive aluminium ducting tape. We have a cupboard under our oven, and I placed a slap of the ceramic fibre thermal insulation on a sheet of plywood and held it in place against the bottom of the oven with battens screwed to the sides of the cupboard.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
So why not remove the oven and install a compressor beer fridge, much more useful as you have everything you need to be off grid for a few days at least. Throw in an electric kettle, George Foreman grill and a table top pizza oven and youve got it cracked .......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back