Gas Locker Floor - Luck Was With Us! (18 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Dorest E
Exp
Jul 22
Hi all

Thought I'd share our experience as not sure if this is a known thing or just an unfortunate event (hoping it's the latter!)

Whilst (luckily) driving through the grounds of Chatsworth (private stately home) doing no more than 5mph, we heard the biggest thud and a sound of dragging.

Whilst trying to look for a safe place to pull in, an oncoming car flagged us to stop.

Our spare gas had fallen out of our locker, onto the oncoming traffic due to our gas locker floor failing completely, with the connected gas hanging on by the pug tail, scraping the floor!

We have a 2008 Elddis Autoquest 140, bought in Jul 2022, where luckily our dealer has said he will stand to the repair.

Have read this to happen to caravans but not so on MH's.

Just makes you aware of how flimsy the floors can be, and just grateful it didn't happen on a main road or a motorway and it didn't hurt anyone or their vehicles.

Both were secured but gravity won the battle and the spare went rogue!

Photos attached (floor completely gone and what the floor looks like)

IMG-20230407-WA0007.jpeg IMG-20230407-WA0009.jpeg

OP
OP
Elsie2010
Jul 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Dorest E
Exp
Jul 22
Just a small update on this
I've contacted Elddis (Hymer) to advise of this issue (in case they've had similar before, so they may then make it a 'known problem' and possibly (unlikely) revisit the materials etc used, and they have asked for photos and VIN

You never know (hmm) possibly may take it seriously enough...Unsure on any recalls, dependant on how often this issue happens but if it can save one person from a potential disaster, the better

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I had a look under a couple of new Eldiss Van's whilst we were at Brownhills recently and the bottom of the gas lockers had a length of aluminium angle screwed into each of the external floor ends/ sides. (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Elsie2010
Jul 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Dorest E
Exp
Jul 22
I had a look under a couple of new Eldiss Van's whilst we were at Brownhills recently and the bottom of the gas lockers had a length of aluminium angle screwed into each of the external floor ends/ sides. (y)
Yes, we have one of them retrieved from the floor, the other we can only assume fell down the cattle grid or possibly came off prior resulting in it failing?
What do gas lockers usually have to secure them down out of curiosity?

Upvote 0

Tony68000

Free Member
Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
I was only thinking the other day how flimsy the floor of our gas bottle cupboard looked. I'm pleased you had a lucky escape, it could have been a lot worse.

This is definitely something I'll be adding to my periodic checks now. Thanks for the warning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Elsie2010
Jul 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Dorest E
Exp
Jul 22
Surprising how common-ish this is after our experience and hearing about others.
Someone had the same happen but on the M1! Luckily, all was well 😱

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Elsie2010
Jul 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Dorest E
Exp
Jul 22
UPDATE:
Hab man's been today and had said that the wooden floor appears to have 'stapled on' as there judging by the look of the wood that was in place and also the fact that there were no screw holes in the metal surround of the actual gas locker

I suspect then with this in mind that, this is how it was fitted in the factory (unless of course, its had a new complete gas locker at some point, i.e the metal/aluminium sides, with there not being any trace of screw or bolt holes)

When I initially spoke to him, he said he'd never heard of this however, he's since done some 'googling' and found it's not too much of a rare thing (which backs up what our new dealer has said as he's had a few customers this is happened to)

Anyway, it's a £50-60 fix, using the current floor and metal grill/vent, which our old dealer is picking up the bill for

May be as well to (somehow) check how your floors are fixed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2024
Funster No
MH
elddis xplorer
Hi all

Thought I'd share our experience as not sure if this is a known thing or just an unfortunate event (hoping it's the latter!)

Whilst (luckily) driving through the grounds of Chatsworth (private stately home) doing no more than 5mph, we heard the biggest thud and a sound of dragging.

Whilst trying to look for a safe place to pull in, an oncoming car flagged us to stop.

Our spare gas had fallen out of our locker, onto the oncoming traffic due to our gas locker floor failing completely, with the connected gas hanging on by the pug tail, scraping the floor!

We have a 2008 Elddis Autoquest 140, bought in Jul 2022, where luckily our dealer has said he will stand to the repair.

Have read this to happen to caravans but not so on MH's.

Just makes you aware of how flimsy the floors can be, and just grateful it didn't happen on a main road or a motorway and it didn't hurt anyone or their vehicles.

Both were secured but gravity won the battle and the spare went rogue!

Photos attached (floor completely gone and what the floor looks like)

View attachment 736769 View attachment 736770
IMG_2565.jpeg

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Just checked mine - Elddis Accordo 105 2014 and the gas locker floor looks like it's a continuation of the main floor even has the same lino on it.
20240922_183449.jpg

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back