Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 9, 2023
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
I can smell gas in the gas locker, but gas detection spray does not appear to identify where it's coming from. It smells strongest at the end where the pigtail goes into the gas filter which goes into the DuoControl CS, (not at the easier to reach cylinder end). Very difficult to access in gas locker above gas locker door which is under bed.

Never used gas detection spray before so it's possible I'm not using it properly. It comes out frothy then settles down, apart from froth, no bubbles. Maybe I'm not spraying enough, or not liberally enough.

Hose rupture protection is not activating!

I have Truma DuoC and up till now had only been using one cylinder, having removed other pigtail and replaced it with (provided) blind cover. The gas smell has only started since fitting a second cylinder for the first time since new. It started straight after replacing the (previously unused) pigtail, so both cylinders now turned off as a preventative measure.

I am not a plumber so may have made a basic mistake, such as overtightening.

Currently in France and looking for suggestions...

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Get a gas detection pen delivered from Amazon?

Cheaper than a fitter.

Also, I always found bottles stink when nearing the end of the gas in them, could it be that?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PlymBob
May 9, 2023
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
Get a gas detection pen delivered from Amazon?

Cheaper than a fitter.

Also, I always found bottles stink when nearing the end of the gas in them, could it be that?
One bottle full (campingaz r907) other probably more than half full (11kg propane).
Smell is definitely associated with turning on the new campingaz 907. Smell dissipates when bottle turned off.
Not sure I'd get Amazon to deliver to campsite before I leave it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I can smell gas in the gas locker, but gas detection spray does not appear to identify where it's coming from. It smells strongest at the end where the pigtail goes into the gas filter which goes into the DuoControl CS, (not at the easier to reach cylinder end). Very difficult to access in gas locker above gas locker door which is under bed.

Never used gas detection spray before so it's possible I'm not using it properly. It comes out frothy then settles down, apart from froth, no bubbles. Maybe I'm not spraying enough, or not liberally enough.

Hose rupture protection is not activating!

I have Truma DuoC and up till now had only been using one cylinder, having removed other pigtail and replaced it with (provided) blind cover. The gas smell has only started since fitting a second cylinder for the first time since new. It started straight after replacing the (previously unused) pigtail, so both cylinders now turned off as a preventative measure.

I am not a plumber so may have made a basic mistake, such as overtightening.

Currently in France and looking for suggestions...
Where in France

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The gas smell has only started since fitting a second cylinder for the first time since new. It started straight after replacing the (previously unused) pigtail,

I'm not familiar with Campingaz cylinders but when changing Calor ones it's easy to drop/mislay or otherwise inadvertently leave out the pigtail-to-cylinder rubber sealing washer.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PlymBob
May 9, 2023
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm not familiar with Campingaz cylinders but when changing Calor ones it's easy to drop/mislay or otherwise inadvertently leave out the pigtail-to-cylinder rubber sealing washer.
Good thought, but checked all sealing washers present and correct.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Less than a year, and previously unused.
It seems there's a link between having the smell (leak?) and the replacement new hose.
Could it be that the redundant cylinder isn't fully turned off? I doubt that its 'blind cover' would seal completely, (although as said before I'm not familiar with Campingaz cylinders).
(My mantra for the past 30 years of helping folk to diagnose the cause of new problems with their classic motorbikes is to thoroughly inspect/suspect the last change that they made).

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
The drop out mesh in the bottom of the cabinet hasn't been blocked/covered over with anything has it?
Mine to has a faint whiff of gas about it, and I did all the same checks. I now leave the gas door open when the opportunity arises. The smell is never threateningly strong, more a background taint.
Mike.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
907 bottle exchanges are only around ÂŁ20 in France. Just swap it.
Cheaper than a fitter and for peace of mind.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Exp
Since 2021
Quite a lot of Amazon Lockers drop points in Montpelier.
Someone with too much spare time has produced an interactive map.

Use in lockers while in USA, worked fine.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PlymBob
May 9, 2023
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
The drop out mesh in the bottom of the cabinet hasn't been blocked/covered over with anything has it?
Mine to has a faint whiff of gas about it, and I did all the same checks. I now leave the gas door open when the opportunity arises. The smell is never threateningly strong, more a background taint.
Mike.
No, the drop out mesh is all clear and see through

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PlymBob
May 9, 2023
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
No, it's not the bottle (I really don't think), the smell comes from the opposite (regulator) end of the pigtail

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PlymBob
May 9, 2023
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
Quite a lot of Amazon Lockers drop points in Montpelier.
Someone with too much spare time has produced an interactive map.

Use in lockers while in USA, worked fine.
Good suggestion, and I totally hadn't thought of it, but going to be gone in a couple of days. Will probably turn off both bottles (as already done) and sort out when back in UK.

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
No, it's not the bottle (I really don't think), the smell comes from the opposite (regulator) end of the pigtail
Take a picture of your set up if possible.
First thing to check is the rubber washer, I would remove the pigtail and check that first .
While LDF (leak detection fluid ) is a useful tool it will often not show a leak on high pressure lpg.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PlymBob
May 9, 2023
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
It seems there's a link between having the smell (leak?) and the replacement new hose.
Could it be that the redundant cylinder isn't fully turned off? I doubt that its 'blind cover' would seal completely, (although as said before I'm not familiar with Campingaz cylinders).
(My mantra for the past 30 years of helping folk to diagnose the cause of new problems with their classic motorbikes is to thoroughly inspect/suspect the last change that they made).
Your mantra is excellent, but I'm 90+% confident it's the regulator end of the pigtail, not the Campingaz cylinder, which is an otherwise new & unused pigtail.
However, I'm picking up that some gas smell is not totally unusual. So things may not be as bad as they smell...
Classic bikes on the other hand; how old do they need to be? A10? Venom? Hinckley Bonneville (current 2 wheel steed)? Just drove German campsite neighbour's Honda Grom, it's so much better than I would have anticipated and at 100kg possible to hang off back of PVC :)

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Exp
Since 2021
Good suggestion, and I totally hadn't thought of it, but going to be gone in a couple of days. Will probably turn off both bottles (as already done) and sort out when back in UK.
When you stop if you only turn on old bottle do you smell gas?
Then next time turn on only the new one, smell gas?

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Classic bikes on the other hand; how old do they need to be?
1920's to end 1950's.
1954 Matchless 350cc on a 3,400 mile solo European camping trip......

Marigold at St Emilion.JPG

1947 500cc AJS........(Only one owner before me).

47 Mod 18 large.JPG

1927 AJS 350cc......

1927 350cc model H4.jpg

A10? Venom? Hinckley Bonneville (current 2 wheel steed)?

All great bikes but a bit exotic for me as I have rather a soft spot for the agricultural grey porridge clunkers !
As you'll know, the continent is a biker's heaven for similar reasons that it is for motorhoming.
Apologies for the thread drift (although at least it is your own thread ;))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
PlymBob
May 9, 2023
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
1920's to end 1950's.
1954 Matchless 350cc on a 3,400 mile solo European camping trip......

View attachment 904743

1947 500cc AJS........(Only one owner before me).

View attachment 904744

1927 AJS 350cc......

View attachment 904745

All great bikes but a bit exotic for me as I have rather a soft spot for the agricultural grey porridge clunkers !
As you'll know, the continent is a biker's heaven for similar reasons that it is for motorhoming.
Apologies for the thread drift (although at least it is your own thread ;))
The 1927 AJS with girder forks and sprung saddle looks a tad too agricultural for me. I've got used to being a bit more comfortable and having the ability to stop fairly quickly, although I guess you drive within limits and plan when you're likely to need braking :) Your Matchless on the other hand is almost modern ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PlymBob
May 9, 2023
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
Take a picture of your set up if possible.
First thing to check is the rubber washer, I would remove the pigtail and check that first .
While LDF (leak detection fluid ) is a useful tool it will often not show a leak on high pressure lpg.

20240604_115231.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PlymBob
May 9, 2023
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 540
Exp
I'm a newbie
When you stop if you only turn on old bottle do you smell gas?
Then next time turn on only the new one, smell gas?
Good plan:
Old bottle on, no smell of gas. Old bottle on, and Truma DuoControl switched to new bottle (new bottle off) and I might be imagining a slight whiff...

New bottle on (old off) and definite smell of gas

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2021
Worcester, UK
Funster No
MH
LMC premium I650G
Exp
35y tugging + 2 in Motorhome
I have the same issue with two gas flow 11kg bottles slight smell now and again, bought a sniffer pen checked with all taps open and closed did not detect a leak, but did notice the smell usually happens when one bottle is getting low or empty but still not able to pick it up with the pen🤔🤔

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back