Gas bottles in the French Alps (11 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 28, 2024
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Looking for help with swapping out gas bottles in the French Alps, (Praz de lys area) We are taking our young children and dog over the Christmas period, planning on staying in a camping aire there, there is hookup available but I have heard of the supplies often being weak low amp connections, our motorhome has a dometic A/C - heating unit on the roof but it tends to trip my workshop trips regularly when I have the heating on, I think it draws a heavy current, I will do research on this now, I think we will mostly be heating the van on gas, it carries 2 13kg bottles of propane now, I think it will burn through this fairly quickly trying to keep the van warm, any help on getting gas bottles in the area or any advice would be greatly received
Thanks

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
You should think about refillable gas cylinders, I have Gaslow but there are other makes. I'm pretty sure French cylinders have different connectors to British ones but someone who knows definitively should be along in a minute.
Edit: I have a Dometic Freshjet 2200 on the roof as well, it only draws about 4 amps, most low amperage hookups abroad are 6 amps so if your careful about what other 240v devices you use you should be okay.

Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Yes refilable bottles give you more flexibility in europe. You may be able to fit yourself?

But you also need EU adaptors…

Sep 5, 2024
In a tin box
Funster No
MH
Building a PVC
I also went for a refillable tank with the adapters so it can be filled anywhere, however that probably doesn't help you much!

I did a search on the Butagaz website for 13kg propane cylinders and it came back with a few options in the area.

As others have mentioned you won't be able to exchange your Calor bottles there so be prepared to carry an empty cylinder around somewhere. You should be able to find a Butagaz point near the crossing back and return your French bottle there I think.

There are other gas suppliers such as Antagaz so might be worth doing some research to see what's most cost effective / convenient for you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back