Garmin sat nav or tablet (1 Viewer)

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Currently have an old 7 inch tablet. Using Google maps and co pilot.
It's getting bit slow these days so thinking of buying new.
Any suggestions must be easy to use
Thanks in advance

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
I've got a Samsung 10" tablet for sat nav, and it is brilliant, I can run a choice of programs and also use for browsing, music emails etc, paid just over £200 new.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Thanks guys Ive decided to go to a GPS unit only

Just need to decide 🤔🤦
we have a tom tom and a garmin (as we thought it had broken)

I think its very personal but Garmin makes more sense and easier to use, but we had that one first so may be unconsciously bias in that direction. (pun intended)

Chinese sat navs if they still exist are better value

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Never been interested in using a tablet for navigation and always had Tomtoms which have always worked for me.

Apr 15, 2022
Funster No
MH
DethleffGlobetrotter
Exp
Started in 2005, then took a 15 year break, back in 2022
Garmin Camper is great. I've got the big one so easy for me to see, and you can enter Motorhome length and even that you are towing. Never had a route issue yet. Plus support is great. I had my unit go wrong (would reset every 30 mins). Raised a ticket online, and they arranged pickup in 2 days, then sent me a brand new unit. Dead easy.

OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Well myself and hi tech don't get on.
Unboxed my Garmin 1095 very impressed. Look the puppy's plumbs. Very reactive to touch etc.

But can I make a route nope can I find a place sometimes. But mostly not how can I find a place. But then go to find again and can't. I've tried typing in speaking to it. Everything but taking hammer to it.
I'm going out to dinner calm down. Any ideas please ?

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Is it because you are indoors and it can't get a gps signal?

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Unboxed my Garmin 1095 very impressed. Look the puppy's plumbs. Very reactive to touch etc.

But can I make a route nope can I find a place sometimes. But mostly not how can I find a place. But then go to find again and can't. I've tried typing in speaking to it. Everything but taking hammer to it.
Does it work with Basecamp?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I'm not familiar with your 1095, but I recently bought a Garmin 780 camper and initially disappointed with it after using Google maps for a few years. I was used to dropping pins on GM and then easy to navigate to. Can't do that with Garmin and whilst address are fine, locating a parkup or remote place of interest is more difficult.
What I did was install Garmin Drive on my phone.
What you can then do is research places on GM, then drop a pin, this gives you gps coordinates. Long press on the icon copies these to your clipboard and you can then go to Garmin drive, paste them in and send to sat nav over Bluetooth. It will automatically calculate the route.
I liked GM but found it doing odd things last year in France so decided to go the dedicated camper sat nav route.
GM on tablet as backup though

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09

Is it aires you are looking for or campsites or both as POIs ?

I may be able to give you about 15,000 to 20,000 european aires and all the ACSI sites (2015 ish) to upload onto your Garmin if I can find them.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Basecamp is Garmin’s routing programme for a PC. You use the PC to plot a route and then download it to the Garmin in satnav. The PC and the Sat nav hold the same maps.
Ah right, I'm guessing windows or apple Mac ?
I only have android Chromebook now 🤬
Thanks 👍

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Ah right, I'm guessing windows or apple Mac ?
I only have android Chromebook now 🤬
Thanks 👍
Mine is Windows. Some find Basecamp cumbersome but it’s all I have ever used for motorbikes for years so using it for a camper sat nav appeals to me.

OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Thanks some of that goes over my head. I have no pc or tablet anymore just my phone.
I believe it has some campsites etc loaded. Tbh it's all gobbledegook to me

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks some of that goes over my head. I have no pc or tablet anymore just my phone.
I believe it has some campsites etc loaded. Tbh it's all gobbledegook to me
I'd definitely install Garmin Drive from play store on your phone and use that for navigation to poi from Google maps 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back